Reply The Library - - [spells, rituals, blessings tree, etc]
oil burning

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

zainith666

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:13 pm
Hey, I just bought an oil burner and I was curious what kind of oils are best to burn and if there are other uses for an oil burner other than burning oils. I felt really drawn to this oil burner and simply had to buy it. I saw some oils where I bought it, but they has a lot of alcohol in them, which I've heard makes them really strong and it smells of rubbing alcohol. I just don't want to pay much money and get something that is so distracting that I can't even focus during a rite or meditation. Any suggestion? Thanks!
~Blessed Be~  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:07 pm
Essential oils are best to burn as they tend to be more concentrated and don't contain some of the chemicals found in the cheaper incense oils you can find. Essential oils mixed with base oils (olive, jojoba, almond ect) are good too and usually a bit cheaper than strait essentials. I am not exactly sure what style burner you have though with most it is important to put water (spring or distilled is best) in the bowl then add a few drops of oil before lighting the candle or heating element.

ChamomileSky

zainith666

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:52 am
well, the oil burner i have is a ceramic burner that is heated by candle light. i'm not sure if that explains enough about the burner, but it is all that i am aware of with it. i've been told essential oils work best, but they aren't even close to cheap! i don't know, does anyone know of a way to make oils directly. perhaps with herbs and other plant life. just any other ideas besides the top of the line oils that scare my little pockets of all their money?
thanks for the advice with the essential oils and using a little water; i think it helps. and i'm a little confused by base oils. doesn't olive oil smell like olives thus changing the smell of the oil with a hint of olive? don't you notice the olive in the oil is what i'm asking i think.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:35 am
I would try a steer you away from oils that aren't essential oils. Many of them are full of synthetic materials and can go through a pretty nasty production process. Plus, they may give off nasties.

Essential oils expensive but worth it. They do last for ages as you only need a drop or two. If you combine them with a carrier oil (sunflower, coconut etc) then they go even further.
I've had one bottle of essential oil for nearly 3 years. It just depends how often you use it!

It's not very cost effective to make your own oils as you need TONS of the herb in question to get any oil. I mean, loads of herb.

Perhaps treat yourself to one or two of your favourite scents on payday and see what you think. You could try to get oils online or wholesale as that can be cheaper.  

doistu

ChamomileSky

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:36 am
Olive oil has a very light fragrance of its own, but most essential oils over power it completely. I mostly use it as a base for annointing oils that will be going on my skin rather than ones I use for incense purposes.

There is a company, AzureGreen, they have a site online they sell oils fairly cheaply, they are essential oils diluded with base oils. They work fairly well and most of them are under 5 dollars.

It is possible to make essential oils at home but it requires a large amount of plant materials as well as equipment (basically you need to build a still) so that may be more of a financial investment than you are looking for at the moment.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:41 am
Hmm, ok, I don't think I want a still yet. And I like the use of olive oil with essential oils for skin application (olive oil is great for the skin). I think I'll look into oils much more just before I just to essential oils, even if it has a different oil base. ^_^  

zainith666

The Library - - [spells, rituals, blessings tree, etc]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff