College Question.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

eccentricanomaly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:21 pm
Alright.
So a lot of the colleges I've been looking at require 3-4 science credits.

In the eyes of my high school, I technically have 4 science credits and will hopefully graduate with 6 (possibly 7 if I can get into Physics).

But the problem is I took Honors Biology (1 credit) my freshman year, Chemistry (1 credit) my sophomore year, and then AP Chemistry (2 credits) my junior year. I'm planning on taking AP Biology this year, which is two more credits.

So I'm confused if since Chem and AP Chem are both Chems and Bio and AP Bio are both bio, will it look like I only took two sciences or four . . . ?

They're not the same class, but not every high school is the same, I don't think. I know with Social Studies and Math it's different, at least with my high school, because if you take regular Gov't, and then take AP Gov't, they'll only give you one credit . . . or something like that . . .

I don't know. I'm confused.
And debating whether to take Physics or not.
But I don't think it will fit my schedule.

I'm going to be a senior in the fall, if you couldn't tell.
And I just started looking at colleges.
Yeah.
Thanks.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:24 pm
I'd get into contact with a school counselor as soon as you possibly can. That's their job; help you with your issues! XP
They will definitely know the answer to these problems. It's hard to say, because like you said, every school is different. Mine didn't have different classes like, AP, regular, honours, etc. Only in Math, and then it was principles, applications, and essentials.
And it doesn't say anywhere in the literature for the colleges like, 'we will only accept one of (for example) Biology honours, AP biology', etc?
Definitely talk to the counselors.
And I'd take Physics :3 It's not so bad, and you won't have to worry as much about lacking science credits.

.Vindicated.Of.Sanity.

8,850 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Nudist Colony 200

Sioga

Eloquent Genius

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:26 pm

In my high school, they count as separate credits. Usually colleges will only look at the actual credits you have. And if the majority of them are Honors and AP, then you will look even better.

Also, isn't Physics one of the Graduation Requirements?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:32 pm
@ vindicated: Yeah, I was probably going to end up doing that anyway.

I was just trying to see if anyone else had to deal with this issue before.

@ sioga:
I thought they looked at the classes you take?
My high school just requires biology + two other sciences.
Chemistry technically isn't required, but it's a prerequisite for all other sciences, so you kind of have to take it . . .
Then juniors usually take an AP, Astronomy, or Physics for the third.

But thanks.

If they just look at credits, I don't really have a problem, but if they look at classes . . . I'm confused.  

eccentricanomaly

AriaStarSong

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:29 pm
They're separate. You need to have taken 3-4 credits worth of science, any science. It doesn't matter if it's all the same "type" or a variety for the minimum requirements. If they want specific classes, they'll list them. If you're in doubt, though, call the admissions office at the school you're looking at. They're usually really friendly and are happy to answer any questions you might have. Or, the people at my school were at least.

Good luck  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:30 pm
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You'll be fine.

Colleges use what the high school says you have and it sounds like your high school says you have more than enough.

And, if the college has any questions, they will contact your high school and sort it out. That is, if they want you. But if you have money and are taking honors classes, chances are they aren't going to reject you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-PrimaCzarina-

Fluffy Prophet

9,800 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
It's A Girl Thing!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items