Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
The Goddess and Horned God, a silly basic question

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

this wretched thing

Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:59 pm
The Goddess is the Moon and Earth, and everything that comes from it, right?

What is the Horned God, then?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:37 pm
This really depends on the tradition. For instance, in a lot of pagan traditions, the moon is a man. smile

In my own tradition, I can think of a couple of horned Gods, but I don't think these are the Gods you're looking for.

So: can you narrow the tradition down? Standing Stone, Wicca, eclectic Neopagan?  

Collowrath

this wretched thing

Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:56 pm
Collowrath
This really depends on the tradition. For instance, in a lot of pagan traditions, the moon is a man. smile

In my own tradition, I can think of a couple of horned Gods, but I don't think these are the Gods you're looking for.

So: can you narrow the tradition down? Standing Stone, Wicca, eclectic Neopagan?

Wica.

And I've known the Moon to be the Goddess.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:51 pm
Marie Bellamy
Wica.

This might make it a little more difficult actually. You see, the identity of the Gods of Wica are kept secret until after initiation and then, they aren't really free to just go blabbing them.

AFAIK however, they will use "place holder" names in Outer Court rituals open to the uninitiated. Again, as far as I know, some Wica use Pan, some use Cernunnos as names. I'm sure someone can come along and confirm/deny/correct this before too long.

As far as the nature of Him goes, I wouldn't know.

Quote:
And I've known the Moon to be the Goddess.

I'll be sure to let Miesiats know. rolleyes  

Collowrath

this wretched thing

Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:58 pm
Collowrath

This might make it a little more difficult actually. You see, the identity of the Gods of Wica are kept secret until after initiation and then, they aren't really free to just go blabbing them.

I'm not asking for their real names - I know that initiation into covens allows knowledge of their names.

What I am asking, however, is if the Goddess is the Earth and all things come from Her, then what of the Horned God? What comes from Him?

Collowrath

And from what I understand, so far, is that only Wica has the Horned God.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:02 pm
Marie Bellamy
Collowrath

I'm not asking for their real names - I know that initiation into covens allows knowledge of their names.

What I am asking, however, is if the Goddess is the Earth and all things come from Her, then what of the Horned God? What comes from Him?

I could only really speculate as to what His nature or purpose would be. smile My understanding of Wica is pretty elementary.

Quote:
Collowrath

*shrug* I've seen the term tossed around from time to time within other Neopagan traditions, or I wouldn't have asked.  

Collowrath

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:58 am
Marie Bellamy
I have never heard of the Wiccan Lady being called an Earth Goddess.
Instead, most of the Wiccans I know allude to her and the Lord as being in the Heavens, hence As Above, So Below.

Within Wiccan legends, many things come from the Lord, amongst them the power that is lent to the Lady and rest after death before rebirth.

Marie Bellamy

Many gods from all around the world have horns. A fair few goddesses as well.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:48 pm
Horned God?

Why am I thinking Baphomet?  

Gho the Girl

Collowrath

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:38 pm
Gho the Girl
Horned God?

Well, he is pretty horn-y. stressed

I always think of Baphomet too.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:45 pm
Gho the Girl
Horned God?

You read too much Bill Schnoebelen? lol  

Yanueh

Shameless Shapeshifter

aoijea23487

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:26 pm
In British Traditional Wica, the gods are gods of polarity. The lore is oathbound, and no one can say how much of the lore that is perpetuated by people like the Farrars and other authors is similar to what the original lore is.

In terms of the fertility of the earth... I would take a stab at the archetype that female is receptive and male is active, and that if the Goddess is the Earth, then she is the uncultivated dirt, and it isn't until She and the God (the sun, agriculture, crops) unite that the Earth is fruitful. In human fertility, a woman cannot reproduce until a man "lies with her." (In-vitro and other artificial insemination methods aside).

I do not think that the whole contents of Earth are attributed to the Goddess alone.

But of course, since I'm not an initiate, this is all speculation. (:

According to some, I practice double-C Wicca, and the lore associated with that sort of neopaganism isn't cohesive because of lack of strict orthodoxy in this area, but polarity is a must.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:14 pm
Marie Bellamy
The Goddess is the Moon and Earth, and everything that comes from it, right?

Absolutely not. In some pantheons - mine for example - the moon is male. I've never heard of the Earth and the Moon being the same deity, either.

Marie Bellamy
What is the Horned God, then?

The "Horned God" is a synchronization from two ancient references found from around the pan-Celtic time of history in Europe, a few thousand miles apart. One is an image of a figure with horns surrounded by - if I remember correctly - animals. The other is a reference to a deity named Cernnunnos about which very little is mentioned besides, I think, fertility. And maybe wheat.

At some point, neopagans combined these two references into the variety of images of horned gods found today - from Herne the Hunter to Pan.

Gho the Girl
Horned God?

There is a significant amount of evidence that a lot of neopagan "witch" imagery comes from the Malleus Maleficarum. Combining the pentagram, with a horned, goaty god, with circles of thirteen, etc... etc... is all very redolent of the false myths created by Christians about the perfidious practices of other Christians so they could kill them and take their stuff.

I occasionally find this funny, occasionally sad. When it's combined with hatred of Christianity, I always find it sad.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers