Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Craft names. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What do you think of this?
  I like it
  I don't like it
View Results

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:04 am
Just thought I would mention that not only do names have too deep an importance to allow some game to determine them within my tradition, the vague numerological system used is rather alien.

I suppose the real issue here is the disrespect to other traditions that the OP showed. What they think is "fun", many may find insulting since it insinuates that the traditions we draw from aren't relevant.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:14 am
TeaDidikai
Just thought I would mention that not only do names have too deep an importance to allow some game to determine them within my tradition, the vague numerological system used is rather alien.

I suppose the real issue here is the disrespect to other traditions that the OP showed. What they think is "fun", many may find insulting since it insinuates that the traditions we draw from aren't relevant.

This was something I was hoping she would stick around long enough for me to get into. For the most part, my culture provides names for its people in ways that are recognized by the community. My spirituality, though not necessarily mainstream for that community, urges me to recognize my part in that community. I think, on the part of my Gods, should I present myself with a new name suddenly, there would be some raised eyebrows.

Though, secret names in a religious context are probably a different story, and not one I have too much experience with.

Either way, in my case, the numerological system has very little bearing and would be irresponsible of me to rely on it for something as binding as a name.  

Collowrath

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:07 am
Collowrath
This was something I was hoping she would stick around long enough for me to get into. For the most part, my culture provides names for its people in ways that are recognized by the community. My spirituality, though not necessarily mainstream for that community, urges me to recognize my part in that community. I think, on the part of my Gods, should I present myself with a new name suddenly, there would be some raised eyebrows.

Though, secret names in a religious context are probably a different story, and not one I have too much experience with.

Either way, in my case, the numerological system has very little bearing and would be irresponsible of me to rely on it for something as binding as a name.
It actually reminds me a little of the reaction I saw a teacher gave to a classmate of mine once. She decided to go by her "Craft Name" at school and demanded our math teacher call her that. She gave her a funny look and said as long as her legal name was registered as something else, she wasn't going to indulge her drama.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:44 am
TeaDidikai
Collowrath

It actually reminds me a little of the reaction I saw a teacher gave to a classmate of mine once. She decided to go by her "Craft Name" at school and demanded our math teacher call her that. She gave her a funny look and said as long as her legal name was registered as something else, she wasn't going to indulge her drama.

That's probably what I would have done. I mean, if she asked me to use a sensible nickname or short form (like Sam instead of Samantha), I wouldn't have a problem, but I see no reason to indulge someone in a school setting by calling them SilverLightMoonbeam McOtterkin so they can be the class snowflake.  

Collowrath

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces