Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
recommended books for a new asatruar

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ajjkiiesbbood

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:11 pm
I just recently joined Asatru and the only books I have are pdf's of the Poetic and Prose Eddas, my question is, what are some other good books that can help with my research into asatru.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:03 pm
Personally, I'd suggest getting your hands on several translations of the Eddas if possible, simply because translators can have different interpretations of various verses (Rígsthula comes to mind), and others may include books that aren't included in others.  

PhantomPhoenix0

ajjkiiesbbood

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:19 am
PhantomPhoenix0
Personally, I'd suggest getting your hands on several translations of the Eddas if possible, simply because translators can have different interpretations of various verses (Rígsthula comes to mind), and others may include books that aren't included in others.

thanks I will definently look into that.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:44 pm
I'm not Asatru, but I usually recommend...

Our Troth (vol 1): History and Lore and Our Troth (vol 2): Living the Troth by Kveldulf-Gundarsson  

too2sweet

Tipsy Fairy

Daearen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:00 pm
Diana Paxson has an asatru book.
I've never read it but i loved her book on runes ^_^  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:51 am
What translations do you currently have?  

TeaDidikai

Nines19

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:26 pm
lCobaltl
Diana Paxson has an asatru book.
I've never read it but i loved her book on runes ^_^

I own it. I found it an interesting read, but not being any kind of judge on "good" sources on Asatru, I can't really comment.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:28 pm
Northern Tradition for the Solitary Practitioner: A Book of Prayer, Devotional Practice, and the Nine Worlds of Spirit , by Galina Krasskova & Raven Kaldera

This is one of the best out there. Just please don't listen to all hypocrites and sh*t stirrers out there that try to demonize these two good people.

Also check out some of Freya Aswyn's works as well.  

AshTaros

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:20 pm
AshTaros
Northern Tradition for the Solitary Practitioner: A Book of Prayer, Devotional Practice, and the Nine Worlds of Spirit , by Galina Krasskova & Raven Kaldera

This is one of the best out there. Just please don't listen to all hypocrites and sh*t stirrers out there that try to demonize these two good people.
Isn't it hypocritical of you to demand people listen to the source you proffer without considering any legit criticisms?  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:07 pm
AshTaros

I'm not so sure that book is so great for someone brand new to Asatru. I own it myself and while it's very inspirational, I feel that it is heavy on the UPG without actually saying "Oh this is my/his UPG on this god..." which can be confusing to someone who isn't overly familiar with the deities.

Quote:
Also check out some of Freya Aswyn's works as well.

I'm pretty sure I read on her site that she has some harsh criticism of Kaldera (and a little on Krasskova as well). Like, Kaldera's group doing things to people during ritual without their willing consent.  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:12 am
Violet Song jat Shariff

I'm pretty sure I read on her site that she has some harsh criticism of Kaldera (and a little on Krasskova as well). Like, Kaldera's group doing things to people during ritual without their willing consent.

Remind me, are these the folks who raped one of their participants?  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:48 am
TeaDidikai
Violet Song jat Shariff

I'm not clear as to whether or not anyone was raped, but reading Aswyn's thoughts on them (can't say I completely like her either with her whole "don't let people question you" thing), someone got ritualistically ******** tortured in either one of their groups (they tied them to a pole and ******** injected saline into their chest, after at least poking them with more needles if not injecting them in other places with saline) and claims Loki and Lilith turns them into a sexual predator. This is from her website in one of the article she writes against Kaldera and Krasskova, but I don't know if it's about them.

Wait, further reading is that it's a woman named Anya Kless who is in Galina Krasskova's group, and Krasskova is a ******** piece of work. She told this person that Odhinn did not want her to seek help for a medically threatening condition, wanted her not to have a job, and wanted her to be homeless, and then with a seperate person, who was a Freyja patron branded her with a valknut and an Oss and told her to "marry Odhinn."

The more I read about Krasskova the worse it gets. I'm kind of writing this as I read and it gets worse by the sentence. I have no idea what "horsing" is supposed to be, but apparently this Freyjasperson's mental condition grew increasingly less stable and she coerced someone into sexual activing during "horsing" with Loki and Odhinn.

If they didn't sexually rape people, the took such physical and emotional advantage of people as to be the equivalent.

I can't tell if Kaldera definitively is in the same group as Krasskova, but it looks like, and they're so wrong that at least one person had posted a formal notice of disassociation from them.

I'd like everyone to consider this as mine, and I give the same quote that the other person gave

I counsel thee, Loddfafnir,
Wherever of injury thou knowest,
regard that injury as thy own;
and give to thy foes no peace.
Havamal 129.  

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:14 am
Fenrir085
I just recently joined Asatru and the only books I have are pdf's of the Poetic and Prose Eddas, my question is, what are some other good books that can help with my research into asatru.
As for pure research, you could look into the Sagas and other stories not found in the Eddas. The Heimskringla is a good place to start.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:04 pm
TeaDidikai
Violet Song jat Shariff

I thought you and Saint Dreya had talked about it in another thread; someone was in a dedication ritual of sorts to one of the gods and suddenly the group sprang on her that she was to allow them to insert fists into places where fists really shouldn't go and when she expressed hesitation, they got on her about how if she didn't allow them to do it, then the ritual was void and that it was proof she didn't trust her particular deity.

Celeblin: Yea, that stuff. Reading those things was like looking into a nightmare.  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers