Reply *~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild
I have a question for 'Red letter Christians'

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lestranged Lithium

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:14 am
So, do you study and only believe what Jesus Christ said, or do you still study the whole book...

I'm sorry I just don't understand...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:47 am
I think they said "You know, this book is so full of bullshit that has nothing to do with anything that Jesus preached that we're just going to ignore it".
Which I honestly think is a good plan.  

Xahmen

Crimson Raccoon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:37 am
The label "Red Letter Christian," like most labels, can be misleading. It's not a particular denomination or sect. And it doesn't mean they only believe the words of Christ. They still believe in the whole Bible.

To describe it as objectively as possible, it's a reactionary religious movement, trying to replace what they see as the problem of Evangelical Christians being too closely aligned with the Republican party. As we all know, it is pretty much assumed that if you are an Evangelical Christian, then you are a Republican; and the proponents of the Red Letter Christian movement see this as a huge problem. In their opinion, the issues of abortion and homosexuality have become so politically charged over the last few years, that these topics have become too dominant a focus of the Christian voice in the media (with both liberal and conservative Christians). So the Red Letter movement wants, instead, the actual message of Christ to be the dominant outreach message.

I've never heard of the term "Red Letter Christian" before coming to this board, so I only just did some research on them. I need to know more about the actual movement before I could say whether I agree or disagree with them. It's certainly true that Christ should be the emphasis of evangelism, not particular sins or political issues; but that's not really a new idea. Perhaps there is an actual Red Letter Christian who can explain it more?  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:07 am
is that the bible with red letters in it of jesus' words?  

No place like 127 0 0 1

Crimson Raccoon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:37 am
No place like 127 0 0 1
is that the bible with red letters in it of jesus' words?

Bible's that have Christ's words in red are what Red Letter Christians are named after; but they weren't the ones to come up with the idea of doing that. Printing Christ's words in red is just a feature some Bibles have.

The Red Letter Christian movement started relatively recently, I don't know exactly, but some time within the past several years. But Bibles with red lettering go back to 1900. It was just an idea some guy had that caught on. Pretty colors! =D  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:58 am
Lestranged Lithium
So, do you study and only believe what Jesus Christ said, or do you still study the whole book...

I'm sorry I just don't understand...

haha, well there's been alot of controversy about it for the last 2000 years, and the truth is that when you approach the bible from the view of a scholar, it doesn't add up. But when you approach it from the view of a believer, nothing is impossible, and the links are shown without fail. Now, that doesn't mean we have to abandon logic, just use it with an open mind, understanding that His ways are as "high above our ways as the sky is above the earth".

But just for clarification, what are some of the verses that confuse you?  

sirmartyr777

Crimson Raccoon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:55 pm
sirmartyr777
haha, well there's been alot of controversy about it for the last 2000 years, and the truth is that when you approach the bible from the view of a scholar, it doesn't add up. But when you approach it from the view of a believer, nothing is impossible, and the links are shown without fail. Now, that doesn't mean we have to abandon logic, just use it with an open mind, understanding that His ways are as "high above our ways as the sky is above the earth".

But just for clarification, what are some of the verses that confuse you?

sweatdrop

She's not asking about any verses or about the Bible. She's asking what Red Letter Christians believe. I don't blame you for never hearing of them before, I hadn't either... but read the other posts and you'll know what she's asking about.  
*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games