And we didn't even try.
View Results

marzipancakes

6,450 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:43 am
Most of you believe homosexuality is a sin.
I know not all of you say this, but some religious people say "Hate the sin, not the sinner."
So why not let them get married? It makes them happy, even if it's a sin, they still deserve to be happy, and, if it is a sin, if they get absolved or whatever when they die, it's all good, right?
I mean I'm not saying that they think that they're sinning or that they will all get absolved, but this is kind of a "what if?" question.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:24 am
I think this post would be better with the thread you already started, but that's me.

As for an answer to your question, sin makes us happy. It feels good to sin because as human we have sinful natures. We have a tendency to join the dark side...they have cookies. (lol, interwebz joke)

But at the same time, just because it makes you happy, doesn't make it right. Some people are über sadistic, and find lots of joy in inflicting pain upon other living things.

Meh, I'm tired. Better response later. -_- neutral  

Kazydi

Crimson Raccoon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:15 am
Why not let homosexuals get married? As far as I know, Christians do let homosexuals get married. I don't know of Christians going out with guns to any weddings to guard the doors and try to prevent it from happening. It'd be a very un-Christian thing to do if they did.

What most Christians are about with homosexuality, is to try to get certain laws passed, or to be allowed to vote on an amendment instead of some judges giving a law to a state that doesn't want it. (The vast majority of states who have voted on the Gay-marriage issue have voted against it). Such political action is the privilege of every American, on either side of the controversy, and there's nothing wrong with that.

But in states where homosexual marriage is legalized, there's not much Christians can do to "not let them" get married. I suppose some of them may go to the wedding and protest, but that's not the majority. And even in the face of protest, it's not stopping them from getting married. If Christians have made some inappropriate protests, Gay-rights advocates have made some inappropriate protests themselves. There is this sin on both sides, but I believe it's been a minority.

Christians believe homosexuality is wrong because that's what the Bible teaches. And so when they have the opportunity to vote on the subject, they, like every one else, should vote based on their conscience and their beliefs. If people aren't going to vote based on that, there's no point to democracy.

The quote "hate the sin, not the sinner," is a paraphrase (props to zahwomen here wink ) of Biblical teaching, so it's a good saying. If there's a vote you can make that will either make it easier or harder for a person to sin, then if you really love them, you will vote to make it harder for them to sin (as long as there aren't any other consequences to consider). Because if you love someone, you will want them to sin less, because you know God judges people for their sin; and also because you hope they will one day turn away from their sin, which is harder for them to do if it's a legalized lifestyle they're immersed in. Usually, it's none of your business what sins other people do privately, but it's a unique situation in a democracy when you can vote on a subject like that, because the government has made it your business.

But once a law has been passed, in states were homosexual marriage is legalized, the Bible teaches that Christians should let them be married. It says we should follow the laws and the authorities of whatever country we're living in. If we have a legal way of trying to change the law, we can do that, it's how the legal system works in America. But beyond that, what other people do is their business, and it's us and our house that we are responsible for.

Remind them [Christians] to be submissive to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready for every good work. -Titus 3:1

And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the Lord, choose this day whom you will serve ... But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. -Joshua 24:15

sheheartsthings, you post a lot of questions in this guild, and I really appreciate that you seem to have an honest curiosity in what Christians believe. The best place to learn about it is, of course, the Bible. I don't know if you've read none of it or all of it before. But if you haven't read it, that's the best place to learn about Christianity. I suggest any of the gospels, Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John. They are the center of the Bible's teaching. But also don't hesitate to post questions here. Just be aware that no Christian has all the answers, and anyone can make a mistake about the answers they're giving. The Bible itself is the standard for Christianity.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:52 am
you have already made multiple gay threads  

Austin Shipp

Crimson Raccoon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:14 am
Austin Shipp

True, but this thread is not a repeat. She's not asking if homosexuality is a sin, she acknowledged that most Christians believe it is. Why or why not should homosexuals be allowed to be married is a different question, so it shouldn't lead to the same discussion. I was certainly able to cover very different ground in my post here than what I said in the other thread. I'm sure others could as well, if they have anything to add to mine or disagree with. =)

Maybe she could have posted the question in the other thread like Kazydi said, but hey, no biggie.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:54 am
Crimson Raccoon
Why not let homosexuals get married? As far as I know, Christians do let homosexuals get married. I don't know of Christians going out with guns to any weddings to guard the doors and try to prevent it from happening. It'd be a very un-Christian thing to do if they did.

What most Christians are about with homosexuality, is to try to get certain laws passed, or to be allowed to vote on an amendment instead of some judges giving a law to a state that doesn't want it. (The vast majority of states who have voted on the Gay-marriage issue have voted against it). Such political action is the privilege of every American, on either side of the controversy, and there's nothing wrong with that.

But in states where homosexual marriage is legalized, there's not much Christians can do to "not let them" get married. I suppose some of them may go to the wedding and protest, but that's not the majority. And even in the face of protest, it's not stopping them from getting married. If Christians have made some inappropriate protests, Gay-rights advocates have made some inappropriate protests themselves. There is this sin on both sides, but I believe it's been a minority.

Christians believe homosexuality is wrong because that's what the Bible teaches. And so when they have the opportunity to vote on the subject, they, like every one else, should vote based on their conscience and their beliefs. If people aren't going to vote based on that, there's no point to democracy.

The quote "hate the sin, not the sinner," is a paraphrase (props to zahwomen here wink ) of Biblical teaching, so it's a good saying. If there's a vote you can make that will either make it easier or harder for a person to sin, then if you really love them, you will vote to make it harder for them to sin (as long as there aren't any other consequences to consider). Because if you love someone, you will want them to sin less, because you know God judges people for their sin; and also because you hope they will one day turn away from their sin, which is harder for them to do if it's a legalized lifestyle they're immersed in. Usually, it's none of your business what sins other people do privately, but it's a unique situation in a democracy when you can vote on a subject like that, because the government has made it your business.

But once a law has been passed, in states were homosexual marriage is legalized, the Bible teaches that Christians should let them be married. It says we should follow the laws and the authorities of whatever country we're living in. If we have a legal way of trying to change the law, we can do that, it's how the legal system works in America. But beyond that, what other people do is their business, and it's us and our house that we are responsible for.

Remind them [Christians] to be submissive to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready for every good work. -Titus 3:1

And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the Lord, choose this day whom you will serve ... But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. -Joshua 24:15

sheheartsthings, you post a lot of questions in this guild, and I really appreciate that you seem to have an honest curiosity in what Christians believe. The best place to learn about it is, of course, the Bible. I don't know if you've read none of it or all of it before. But if you haven't read it, that's the best place to learn about Christianity. I suggest any of the gospels, Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John. They are the center of the Bible's teaching. But also don't hesitate to post questions here. Just be aware that no Christian has all the answers, and anyone can make a mistake about the answers they're giving. The Bible itself is the standard for Christianity.

CR stole my better response. xd But very good post, dude. I think you did a great of explain that Christians DON'T hate homosexuals. We really don't, but of course, all the media does is show the negative of anything. There truly is a small minority of Christians that go all-out to prevent gay marriage. It's true, most of us don't agree with it, but if it happened, we'd just deal with it. But, that doesn't mean we should just give up, and let anything happen.  

Kazydi

Xahmen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:08 pm
Austin Shipp

And you've posted meaningless responses in all of them biggrin  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:12 pm
Kazy - maybe, but I feel like in these forums, I just want answers to the main topic and to keep that discussion going, and it just is easier for me to create new topics with somethings, to keep it from getting too confusing and hard to keep up with whee
xd You'd probably be surprised at all the interwebz jokes I'm aware of.

CR - Okay, I didn't mean it's the Christians not letting the gays get married XD
I just meant, most Christians are like "NO YOU CAN'T LEGALIZE IT IT'S A SIN." I didn't mean they're actually stopping them from getting married.
Although, in a way, they are.

Austin Shipp - very observational of you, sir. If I were within a considerably close distance to you, I would offer you a cookie.

But, really, again - I didn't mean that Christians are literally keeping gays from getting married. whee  

marzipancakes

6,450 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Austin Shipp

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:03 pm
sheheartsthings
Kazy - maybe, but I feel like in these forums, I just want answers to the main topic and to keep that discussion going, and it just is easier for me to create new topics with somethings, to keep it from getting too confusing and hard to keep up with whee
xd You'd probably be surprised at all the interwebz jokes I'm aware of.

CR - Okay, I didn't mean it's the Christians not letting the gays get married XD
I just meant, most Christians are like "NO YOU CAN'T LEGALIZE IT IT'S A SIN." I didn't mean they're actually stopping them from getting married.

Austin Shipp - very observational of you, sir. If I were within a considerably close distance to you, I would offer you a cookie.

But, really, again - I didn't mean that Christians are literally keeping gays from getting married. whee

what kind of cookie?  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:11 pm
As you know I am Christian. (I've also only read the first post so dont berrate me if I say something tha has already said or contrary to something that has been said)

I believe that all people vote according to their morals. If I vote for someone who allows abortion, then I'm condoning abortion - the same applies to homosexual marraige.

With that said, I believe you're absolutely right. If homosexuals want to get married, they're commiting no more sin than they already have. If homosexuals are allowed to marry all across the country starting tomorrow I wont flip out and get mad, but that doesn't mean that I'd vote for it.  

Scazarith

Xahmen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:23 pm
Crimson 'coon, that is the best answer to that question that I have ever read.
You get a high-five.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:27 am
sheheartsthings

hehe, yeah I knew what you meant, I was just sayin... =P I went on to talk about what you really meant by it, about voting against it and everything.

Zahwomen - oh, uh, thanks! whee  

Crimson Raccoon

*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces