Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SinfulGuillotine

Perfect Trash

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:43 am
SloanSage
SinfulGuillotine
I don't like modern Christian music because of the sheer lack of quality. Granted, I'm a musician and my standards are higher than most, but I'll take Phish and Pink Floyd over any Christian bands I've encountered just because the music is a whole lot better.

And so long as you're not a complete idiot and think "zomg, dis band talks about how satan is awesome so now im gonna worship satan!!!111!!" I don't see any issue with listening to music that isn't blanently Christian.

Maybe you are just not looking hard enough? (says a Music Major with many musicians under the belt and many friends who can tell more about a band just by what they hear...)

You can find them, they just may not be the most popular ones out there.You just have to look.
The reality is, I'm not terribly pre-occupied with finding good "Christian" bands, and I'm not interested in sifting through piles of utter crap just for the sake of finding a band that throws in a few lyrics about Jesus.

I'm always on the lookout for good music, and if I happen to find something awesome that's Christian, then great. If not, that's equally great. I'm far more concerned with it being good music than the religious persuation of who's playing it.

Oh, though I did think of an exception to my "Christian music sucks" opinion. Anyone ever heard of Joy Electric? I believe the guy who makes it is some flavour of Christian. And it's decent music. Not the best, but sort of pleasant and happy and easy to listen to. Reminds me of old school Nintendo music. With a techno beat. And vaguely annoying female vocals. But it's all right.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:17 pm
SinfulGuillotine
SloanSage
SinfulGuillotine
I don't like modern Christian music because of the sheer lack of quality. Granted, I'm a musician and my standards are higher than most, but I'll take Phish and Pink Floyd over any Christian bands I've encountered just because the music is a whole lot better.

And so long as you're not a complete idiot and think "zomg, dis band talks about how satan is awesome so now im gonna worship satan!!!111!!" I don't see any issue with listening to music that isn't blanently Christian.

Maybe you are just not looking hard enough? (says a Music Major with many musicians under the belt and many friends who can tell more about a band just by what they hear...)

You can find them, they just may not be the most popular ones out there.You just have to look.
The reality is, I'm not terribly pre-occupied with finding good "Christian" bands, and I'm not interested in sifting through piles of utter crap just for the sake of finding a band that throws in a few lyrics about Jesus.

I'm always on the lookout for good music, and if I happen to find something awesome that's Christian, then great. If not, that's equally great. I'm far more concerned with it being good music than the religious persuation of who's playing it.

Oh, though I did think of an exception to my "Christian music sucks" opinion. Anyone ever heard of Joy Electric? I believe the guy who makes it is some flavour of Christian. And it's decent music. Not the best, but sort of pleasant and happy and easy to listen to. Reminds me of old school Nintendo music. With a techno beat. And vaguely annoying female vocals. But it's all right.

It all depends on the type of music you like.

For techno, there is very little, but sometimes re-mixes are the greatest.

One of my favorite techno CD's is Clubhouse. One guy took different songs a re-mixed them.

Also, I like Plumb and the re-mixes for her songs.

Pop - there are too many people out there.

And really...

You have to look at the actual theory elements of the music.

That's just me. I personally have many different tastes when it comes to music.

And I also take music as it is. Like you and Joy Electric, I accept some of the bad things. I prefer a message that is glorifying to God.  

SloanSage

SinfulGuillotine

Perfect Trash

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:08 am
SloanSage

One of my favorite techno CD's is Clubhouse. One guy took different songs a re-mixed them.

And really...

And I also take music as it is. Like you and Joy Electric, I accept some of the bad things. I prefer a message that is glorifying to God.
I just don't think that music needs to be made by Christians, or have lyrics that are overtly Christian (if it has lyrics at all...much of the music I like is mostly instrumental) to glorify God. wink  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:40 pm
SinfulGuillotine
SloanSage

And really...

I just don't think that music needs to be made by Christians, or have lyrics that are overtly Christian (if it has lyrics at all...much of the music I like is mostly instrumental) to glorify God. wink

Instrumental music can be Christian too.

And you are correct, but... I would still be careful as to who I listen to. If they are blatantly anti-Christian, your listening to it will not be glorifying to God.  

SloanSage

divineseraph

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:10 am
SloanSage
SinfulGuillotine
SloanSage

And really...

Instrumental music can be Christian too.

And you are correct, but... I would still be careful as to who I listen to. If they are blatantly anti-Christian, your listening to it will not be glorifying to God.

You can be anti-christian and glorify God. Just not in a christian way. Or rather, not in a current Christian way.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:21 pm
Okay, I'm making this a discussion in the debate forum.

Go to the thread that has the same name as below.

Non-Christian music Glorifies God?  

SloanSage

Orkronos

Gracious Sex Symbol

6,575 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:28 am
Music is music. 99.9% of the time the guys/gals in the bands do the shock rocker thing why? For publisity. And publicity = money. Sad but true.

I actualy have a good example!

Alice cooper.

Reguarded as one of the best showmen in rock and roll. Is in fact. This is ALL true.

Republican, father, recoverd alcoholic, born again, bourderline fundamentalist, and sunday school teacher.

His music is for show and entertainment. As is the concept. Worship music you need to treat in a diffrent light. Even satanic worship, i dont like it. its for shock money and for the most part...... unoriginal thats the stuff i recomend staying away from. If you buy into it your just giving them a longer carrier.

So treat music like music. Dethklok is a parody band that iv been getting into they have a show lol.  
*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff