Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

LilyHermioneChapman

6,750 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:41 pm
Alright, so we know that the pureblooded wizarding family's all interfere and everything right? Well the other day I was doing research on Neville Longbottom for another guild and realized he is a pure blood. Looking into it you see that Alice Longbottom's maiden name is Prewett. Well looking into the Weasly tree you see Molly is also a Prewett. That would leave the two girls to being related, and yet Molly never mentions Alice, and Augusta never mentions Molly. That means that either Molly hides that secret, or they were not that closely related even though they share the same last name. What do you guys think?

Here is the bit from harrypotter.wikia.com

Alice Longbottom née Prewett was an Auror who worked for the Ministry of Magic during Lord Voldemort's first rise to power. She was also a member of the Order of the Phoenix under Albus Dumbledore. She is married to Frank Longbottom. Together, they have a son, Neville Longbottom.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:35 pm
Perhaps they were cousins. It doesn't nesscarily mean that Molly is keeping it a secret if she doesn't mention it. Maybe she doesn't feel the need to mention it. Besides, all pureblood families are connected somehow. It's cool how they actually are related. I always wondered what Alice's last name was. I thought it was Prewett because people used it a lot but I wasn't sure. ALso, Augusta is Frank's mother so she probably didn't know Alice and Molly were related.

**Nice topic. Got made brain thinking XD!  

SuzelovesJamesPotter

LilyHermioneChapman

6,750 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:47 pm
Yeah well Molly just seems like this really big family person. Even if they were cousins it just seems weird that Molly wouldn't make an effort to see her cousin in critical condition. I think Ron also mentions not knowing about Nevilles parents so reading about it doing the research made me wonder. Reading farther into the hpw article it says the two might be related, but doesn't elaborate.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:07 pm
Maybe they didn't know they were related. Molly went to school before the maruader's. (I think Alice would fall in that age group). Maybe she had no clue and when she did met them, Alice was already Mrs. Longbottom. It's possible hehe  

SuzelovesJamesPotter

LilyHermioneChapman

6,750 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:44 am
Yeah I guess, it just seems really weird. I keep picturing that scene with Molly in OotP when she is facing a boggart and everyone is lieing dead at her feet. It just seems so weird for her to let something like that go without doing anything if she knew about Alice. So we know Molly was before the Mauraders, but if Alice really was with the Mauraders that would leave Alice as a younger something or other. Meaning Molly could very well have been married by the time Alic hit Hogwarts, but at the same time, it wasn't dark times yet. Voldemort had not come out to take his place so I don't think family bonds would have been hidden. It's just really weird.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:05 am
I doubt they're even closely related. They could've been second or third cousins and never had met before Alice became married and topic of maiden names probably never ever came up.

Remember that this is only a book and JK can't keep track of every single relation and it would'nt have made a difference if she mention it in the book.  

Grey Gardens

1,100 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

SuzelovesJamesPotter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:02 am
True. If she had mentioned it in the book, she would've had to eleborate on it. It wasn't relevant to the plot at all so maybe JK just didn't feel like adding it. That's a really good point Grey. Thanks, I didn't think of that biggrin !  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:16 pm
Yeah it's just something I had been thinking on because of how paranoid Molly is about suffering. Though she does have good reason for it. Her oldest son is always off in Romania dealing with the most dangerous creatures he can, her next gets attacked by a werewolfe when it's not even the full moon, her third leaves the family and won't even speak to them even after he realizes he was mistaken so she is forced to sit there and watch his name point to mortal peril on that clock, Fred and George are always up to something that they won't tell her about which half the time has something to do with explosives, and eventually she loses one of them. Ron gets attacked by everything because he's best friends with Harry Potter and Harry is always having to play the hero and put his life at risk, and Ginny is so stubborn and independent that even when she comes within seconds from death she refuses to confide in her parents until she has too, and as for Arthur, he can't even go to work playing with spark plugs and rubber ducks without getting attacked and almost killed. I wonder if Alice is just another piece that would have made her go crazy because I'm convinced she had to know about it. The pure blood families know the pure blood families because there are so few of them.  

LilyHermioneChapman

6,750 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300

SuzelovesJamesPotter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:04 pm
True, true. I think if Molly had more family members in danger, she would bust. Thank goodness her grandchildren were born after the war of she would freak out.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:54 am
If Molly and Alice were sisters, or even first cousins, it definitely would have been mentioned in the books since then Neville would have undoubtedly been closer to the Weasleys. I agree with what all of you previously stated; about them not hiding it and all of the purebloods being related, etcetera.  

Minerva the Bookwyrm
Crew

LilyHermioneChapman

6,750 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:39 pm
Hahaha yeah Molly would have gone crazy having more family born into the chaos, but at the same time I think it might have given her hope. As for them being sisters, I think that Molly only had 3 brothers. Actually it might be 2. I don't remember and I shouldn't even be on right now. I'm doing a report on Bullying for one of my classes due on Thursday. I don't know about 1st cousins, but I agree that they would have been mentioned. What confuses me is that why Neville didn't really have any connections. As we have already discussed purebloods are inter-related and even if the relation was distant it would surely be noticed. *Sigh* I don't know. I guess I just over think sometimes.  
Main Forum: Haven for Harry Potter Fanatics

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games