Back to Guilds

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Dumbledore's Army, Marauders, Magic 

Reply Main Forum: Haven for Harry Potter Fanatics
Harry: A History

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What are you doing to commemorate Harry Potter's 10th anniversary this week?
  Outrageously celebrating - does Happy Dance!!!!
  Counting the days til Twilight the Movie/HP and the HBP come out!
  Say what?!
View Results

TonksAsKid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:58 pm
Something to look forward to just before the Twilight movie comes out!

I got the following from:
http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2008/09/23/jk-rowling-reveals-all-in-new-book-harry-a-history/

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

J.K. Rowling Reveals All In New Book, ‘Harry, A History’
Published by Jennifer Vineyard on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 at 12:20 pm.

J.K. Rowling might not have exactly have a new book out this year — do you count “Beedle the Bard”? — but for her boy Harry’s 10-year “birthday,” she’s got the next best thing. Leaky Cauldron webmistress Melissa Anelli interviewed the author — and got Rowling to write the intro — for her upcoming book, due out November 4, called “Harry, A History: The True Story of a Boy Wizard, His Fans, and Life Inside the Harry Potter Phenomenon.”

“It was never a selling point to any publisher, ‘Hey, I know J.K. Rowling,’ you know? It was never like that,” Anelli said. “I was actually planning on writing it without her [participation]. It’s like when you watch the show ‘The West Wing’: yes, the president is very important, but it’s more about the staff. This is more about the people, the companies, the entities that brought Harry Potter into fruition. And using that analogy, having the president there adds so much, and adds so much interest, but I was counting on not having her.”

That was, until she decided she would regret it if she didn’t at least ask. Anelli had already sent Rowling a letter to notify her that she was doing the book in the first place, to assure her it wouldn’t be something about her personal life, or about the young actors who embody her characters. So Anelli sent another letter last fall, asking for an interview, and notifying her that she would also be asking all of Rowling’s agents, publicists, and editors as well. “She said yes, and then everybody else said yes, and it completely changed the book in the last four months of writing,” Anelli said. “It made things a little crazy, but it was really worth it.”

'Harry, A history'
For one thing, Anelli scored a two-day interview at Rowling’s house in Edinburgh, Scotland, and a follow-up interview backstage at Rowling’s reading at Carnegie Hall. And while Rowling had been cagey in the past, not wanting to answer a lot of questions in fear of spoilers, “the floodgates were opened,” Anelli said. “I’ve been watching her for ten years now, and most of the time, she answers, ‘Yes, mmm,’ and you can tell she really wanted to talk about it, but she had to stop herself. Now she can talk about it freely.”

So much so that Rowling wrote an introduction to Anelli’s book, and gave her a lot of “advice about the authorial process” and encouragement along the way. “She didn’t ask to oversee it,” Anelli said. “But she’s been very gracious about letting me know that certain feelings I have are normal, like feeling nauseated waiting for the book to come out. She’s been very helpful about helping me adjust to the idea that I’m going to be a published author. And that’s an even greater gift than what’s in the book.”

So I was inspired:
So how about,
What would you ask J.K. Rowling if you got an interview with her?

Are you doing to celebrate/commemorate Harry Potter’s ten-year anniversary this week?

(The questions are Jennifer's - I thought they were good!
I would ask her how her 'Scottish book' is coming!
To celebrate, hmmm, I'm sending this owl to a couple of friends.
I think we should have a Haven celebration!  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:04 pm
That looks good. I might have to pick up a copy.  

KatieInTheBox

Foolish Catalyst

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:49 am
Oh wow!
I'd heard about something being written by "the Leaky Cauldron woman" - as she is in my mind - but I didn't know what it was, or when it was out.
That sounds pretty awesome, I might just get myself a copy!
Thanks for that!

As for what I'd ask her...
"Did Neville and Hannah have kids? And what house would they be in at Hogwarts?"

I know, not very original! And frankly, next gen. annoys me. But I want to know! ^_^

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:40 pm
That sounds awesome. This is the first I am hearing of this. I'm so picking this up.

Foolish, I agree with you. There is a lot everyone wants to know about the new generation. Personally, I want some information on the maruaders. (Everyone expected me to say that didn't they? hehe)  

SuzelovesJamesPotter

Rayvyn_Vaughn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:47 pm
I'm going to get this book. Right when I have the money... sweatdrop (After I buy Brisngr...)

I'd ask Rowling more about the Founders. I've always found them interesting and I want to learn more about them. Especially Godric and Rowena.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:21 am
I agree with the founders. That is very interesting.

I can't believe it's the 10 year birthday. Wow, it doesn't seem like it's been that long. Oh goodness, I need to stop myself before I start crying. I have to go to school!  

SuzelovesJamesPotter

ARoseLight

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:36 am
I'd ask JKR how James Potter wooed and won Lily - I love the Marauders!

I went to the Leaky Cauldron and Melissa has her own site about the book. She's says the book is not so much about canon Q and A so she is releasing tidbits from interviews and has a whole new section she'll update regularly.

I am going to start a new thread on it because it's so different and recommend this thread be about the book, which comes out Nov. 4. I pre-ordered it from Amazon, using the link at Leaky.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:58 pm
Well this is the first I'm hearing about this, I feel so behind!
I'm totally getting this book!

as to what i'd ask Jo...too many questions...but the one that's always annoyed me and I have to know, being the Sirius fan that I am, what is Sirius Black's middle name? I know most, including me, assume it's Orion (or Lee) but I want to know the truth!  

hilaryparkers

Distinct Survivor

6,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Amelia Prince

5,650 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Junior Trader 100
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:56 pm
Oh,haven't heard about it till now,but I gotta have it! whee *happy dance*  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:59 pm
Lightkin
I'd ask JKR how James Potter wooed and won Lily - I love the Marauders!

Muhahaha. Me too. I totally agree with that because how could he win over a girl who hates his guts? He did the impossible. Man, now I really want to know.  

SuzelovesJamesPotter

Minerva the Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:01 am
I'd be interested in JKR's interview, but not anything else. The publishing company? No, I'm not too interested in how much ink and paper they had to buy and how many copies they sold per month. Nonetheless, I think it's great that was book was made because many people DO care and it'll undoubtedly make massive amounts of money, but I feel no urge to purchase it myself.  
Main Forum: Haven for Harry Potter Fanatics

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games