Submit

miyuki_pudding

Quotable Fairy

6,250 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Team Edward 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:09 pm
I see quite a few mentions on here of voice type changing and I find it quite interesting. My first experience with voice types was in middle school choir, when they just had us go to the section we *thought* our voice was. I went to the sopranos, and ended up being a soprano in both choral and solo singing all the way through middle school and high school. My private voice teacher also trained me as a light lyric soprano.

When I got to college, my new professor first helped me realize that my voice was not light, but heavy (I'm very young, though, so not heavy in a TRUE dramatic sense). Then, halfway through my freshman year, she began asking me to try out mezzo-soprano repertoire, and eventually broke it to me that I really was a mezzo-soprano. As it turns out, I have a rich and dark lower and a warm middle register that I didn't get a chance to explore as a soprano. It's where I sound better, not my upper register, though my upper register has opened up a bit since then.

I'm 19 now and a lot happier singing mezzo (and Alto I in choir) as it feels a lot more comfortable and natural. My teacher's not exactly certain what will happen to my voice as I grow up- if I will stay a lyric mezzo, grow into someday being a dramatic soprano, or pulling a 180 and becoming a soprano again, though she's leaning toward me being a dramatic mezzo. Right now I sing a lot of lyric mezzo repertoire ("Parto, parto" "Va! Laisse couler mes larmes") because I'm young, with some contralto-ish pieces mixed in.

TL;DR Voice types, especially when you're young, do change, and even then, they could still change again. Sorry for the long post!  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:05 am
umm.. idk what I am nor is my ear trained enough to tell if Im singing the note thrown at me right on. Ive always wondered what I am tho. Back when I was good I could sing things like Destinys child
carrie underwood
natasha bedingfield
eminem
evanescence
within temptations
Jason Mraz
Bruno Mars
Demi Lovato
and many japanese style voices I could sing
like right on.. I could sound fierce pretty well and I could sing light really well. So yea idk how to classify that  

KhanaRi

Noob

4,500 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100

Azureus Galthens

6,150 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:56 am
i'm not actually sure what voice-type I am, I tried with this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IejHKpfHso

But i could not make heads or tails of it. The lowest note I can reach without difficulty is f3 and the highest is g5 (Roughly) XD  
Instruments and Vocals

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff