Welcome to Gaia! ::

Classical Musicians Guild

Back to Guilds

Tags: Classical, Musician, Band, Orchestra, Choir 

Reply Instruments and Vocals
Choir geeks unite! (Or, share your stories and repertoire) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What choir?
  Treble/Women's (SSA/SSAA)
  Men's (TTB/TTBB)
  Mixed (SATB)
View Results

Blessed Conduit of Christ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:51 am
i am relatively new to choir but have been in worship teams since I was young. My Choir is new and this is its first year of existence and i love my teacher. I dunno if she is renowned or not but her name is Nancy Oehlert (sp?) and I adore her. SHe is very good and strict and has helped with getting my voice to soar! heart  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:58 pm
xXHiddenXTearsXx

Has anyone had to sing a song called Cantante Domino? There is a story behind this...

The choir I accompany did that song a couple of years ago - by Jay Althouse (I had to check!) What's the story? I recall it was a pretty good song.  

moosiklady

SaxySoul

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:30 pm
I`m a choir newbie. I joined last year during the final semester of school and had issues with some of the alto`s notes (sang with the guys as a tenor because of it)
this year the teacher put me as soprano 2, just to make me stretch ( xD he gave up after about a month and made me go to alto)  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:57 pm
Heres the story:

When you heard the sopranos did you hear all the jumping they had to do in the notes? Well our director was very strict in us getting those notes right. So she would send us into practice rooms to get it right. 'Course being teenagers, all we did was go and listen to the radio, and when every she came in we would switch to the c.d.

One day we couldn't find the c.d., so we went up to our director and asked for it, she said another girl had it, so we went to that girl and she said she had burned it! Since we had always joke about burning the papers and c.d.'s because of how we really disliked the son after multiple times. And now that song pops up everywhere.

There are more stories, but this is the shortest one and the others are really long and stupid.  

angelus toxicus

Adorable Faun

SaxySoul

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:25 pm
flamingrice
No offence, but choir is for real idiots who wished they could play music. I would rather play an instrument than to be in choir, because choir sucks! No offfence.
I take offense. I am an instrumentalist. I've been told I'm very skilled for my age/ amount of experience and I recently joined choir because I want to be a music teacher I figured it would be a good thing to have. IT'S HARD!
Singing- not just singing along to the radio, but ACTUALLY singing, is so hard! I take offense to that comment, not because I'm a singer who prefers to sing over play, but because I'm pretty much an instrumentalist who plays an instrument because I wish i could sing.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:59 am
i hate my teacher in choir she didnt put me in noteables and they need a guy now and i cant be in and i talked to the gideanse connslers and now she is pissed at me i mean i will bo anything to get into noteabes  

Game_l3oy

Hibernating Goldfish

Romantic Phantom

8,600 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:30 pm
I have been in choir ever since 3rd grade and I plan to stay in it until I have to quit. I am in 7th grade right now so I have been in it for about 5 years now. I am a soprano, but i can be an alto when we need more of them. (most of our altos don't show up for practices whixh complicats things DX)

i may have to quit soon becase band will start interfering with my after-school times and everything. I really adore both, but I rather give up choir than band DX  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:39 am
waaaa i can't play  

Eros Philia Agape

Euphonious Cantabile

Caring Vet

21,250 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:04 pm
flamingrice
No offence, but choir is for real idiots who wished they could play music. I would rather play an instrument than to be in choir, because choir sucks! No offfence.

I take offense to this. Choir people can read music, and we're damn good at it. When I was in high school, my friend, who was in band, said that our choir was actually damn good and that none of the people in band (except for the ones who were in both choir and band, and only a few were in both) could hold a note on pitch as well as choir people can.

I'd like to see you try to sightsing something like this:
http://www1.cpdl.org/wiki/images/sheet/han-mf07.pdf

If you're not counting in your head and also paying attention to the other voice parts at the same time, you can easily get lost with a piece like that.

(my college choir's actually performing that piece, since we're singing the Messiah for our December concert. heart )

On topic: I've been in choir for gosh, about 8 years now? XD 2 years of middle school choir, 4 years of high school choir, and I'm starting my 3rd year of college choir. I started off as an alto my first year of middle school choir, then I became a soprano the following year. In high school, I was in Treble Chorus the first two years because the mixed choir was reserved for upperclassmen (though occasionally lowerclassmen get in if they're really good and there's room) and sang Soprano II my first year and Soprano I my sophomore year. Then I was in the mixed, 70-voiced Chorale (which you have to audition to get into) during my last two years of high school and sang both the soprano II and soprano I part, depending on where my high school choir director wanted the sopranos to split (and if you sit in the middle area, you either get Soprano I or Soprano II).

Then I entered college choir, which is more difficult to get in than high school choir. My second year of college, I uhh, failed the auditions (I knew the soprano line of the audition song because I had sung it before in high school, so my college choir director had me sing the alto line, and oh god, I messed up on the interval between a B3 and an F4, as well as not being able to sing the low notes with flats without going off pitch) and ended up in the newly revived Women's Chorus. Now I'm in my third year of college choir and back with the mixed choir. We're singing the Messiah for our upcoming concert! heart  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:06 pm
I am relatively new at singing in a choir, however I have sung in various groups before and have been sent to both All State and All County festivals multiple times. My favorite director was actually from the Philadelphia Boys choir and choral, Jeffery R. Smith. I have worked with him twice and he is really cool. He's actually the one who suggested joining a choir and later become a director myself. Naturally I though his directing comment was a little far fetched but other than that it seemed realistic.  

II Stelmaria II

Naughty Explorer

8,775 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Timid 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200

JCVFangirl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:18 pm
flamingrice

OFFENSE DARN IT, OFFENSE! Sorry, I'm a bit of a grammar Nazi.

Anyway, I in fact play four instruments. Guitar, violin, mandolin, and piano. I am a straight A student. And last year our 6th grade choir won the Dumas music festival with perfect scores and an entirely new director.

Of course, there are the choir kids that can't sing worth a crap and don't even try. Those are the ones that simply chose choir because they assumed falsely that it was easy.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:27 pm
I remember the Dumas music festival. I was on the phone with my mom, telling her that we had preformed and were about to head back to Amarillo. Then Mr. Pinales dramatically lifted the first-place trophy over his head and everyone started screaming. Except for the other schools xp  

JCVFangirl

Instruments and Vocals

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces