Reply *~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild
"Jail time"

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

X - S o o t t - X

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:23 pm
I had once heard that their is a branch of Christianity that says for every sin you have it is some time in Hell. Does anyone here know if there really is a branch like that or its name?  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:52 pm
User Image
Jesus...

I am not sure what that is... though it may be a cult branch of Christianity such as Jehovah's Witness or Mormon, honestly I have never heard of such a thing... But who knows! Sorry I couldn't be more help, though...

User Image
...My Lord, Savior, and Friend

mazuac

4,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Statustician 100
  • Contributor 150

X - S o o t t - X

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:13 am
mazuac
User Image
Jesus...

I am not sure what that is... though it may be a cult branch of Christianity such as Jehovah's Witness or Mormon, honestly I have never heard of such a thing... But who knows! Sorry I couldn't be more help, though...

User Image
...My Lord, Savior, and Friend
Thank you anyway. I have only heard it once myself.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:55 pm
I think what you are talking about is purgatory which I think is taught by the Catholic church. purgatory, from what I remember reading about, is that once you die you go there to pay off your sins, and once you've done that you are granted entrance into heaven. It isn't hell, but a temporary place of punishment/payment for sins.

I personally do not believe in purgatory. I won't go into details, but I believe that it limits the saving power of Christ's sacrifice and is a way of earning your salvation.  

Seraph68

X - S o o t t - X

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:05 am
Seraph68
I think what you are talking about is purgatory which I think is taught by the Catholic church. purgatory, from what I remember reading about, is that once you die you go there to pay off your sins, and once you've done that you are granted entrance into heaven. It isn't hell, but a temporary place of punishment/payment for sins.

I personally do not believe in purgatory. I won't go into details, but I believe that it limits the saving power of Christ's sacrifice and is a way of earning your salvation.
Thank you, I think this is what I had heard about.

ljdlakdsjgdf I love that siggy. Blessed are the Geeks. o and the first part is good to =)  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:19 pm
User Image So get out of bed, step off your rooftop...

Yeah, that does sound like a bit like purgatory. And I agree that the belief in that tries to limit the blood of Jesus. If everyone could just spend some time somewhere for their sins then we wouldnt need Jesus because eventually everyone would make it to heaven.. children of God or not.

and just look around, hear the sound of God. User Image

TrinityofLove

divineseraph

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:53 pm
TrinityofLove

Yeah, that does sound like a bit like purgatory. And I agree that the belief in that tries to limit the blood of Jesus. If everyone could just spend some time somewhere for their sins then we wouldnt need Jesus because eventually everyone would make it to heaven.. children of God or not.

I think this would be a good thing.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:14 pm
divineseraph
TrinityofLove

I could understand how some people would think that this is a good thing, but, like others have said, that's kinda limiting the blood of Jesus Christ. His blood has saved us from our sin and as long as we believe He has died for us, we go to heaven and are not punished for our sins.

But this idea doesn't even really work if you stop to think about it. The Bible says that the only way to heaven is through our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ and think of all the people who don't believe in Jesus. If they don't believe, they can't get into heaven, hence making "a temporary stay" in purgatory a thing that doesn't really make sense. You can't get into heaven if you don't believe in Jesus.  

tep

Benevolent Prophet

Ricette

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:09 pm
tep
divineseraph
TrinityofLove

I could understand how some people would think that this is a good thing, but, like others have said, that's kinda limiting the blood of Jesus Christ. His blood has saved us from our sin and as long as we believe He has died for us, we go to heaven and are not punished for our sins.

But this idea doesn't even really work if you stop to think about it. The Bible says that the only way to heaven is through our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ and think of all the people who don't believe in Jesus. If they don't believe, they can't get into heaven, hence making "a temporary stay" in purgatory a thing that doesn't really make sense. You can't get into heaven if you don't believe in Jesus.
Well if we follow Dante's little story, those who do not believe suffer crippled hope in the first circle of Hell. No purgatory for them.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:14 pm
I disagree. I feel that not worshiping Jesus as God isn't that big a deal in God's eyes.

But either way, Everyone sins, even christians. And Purgatory is meant to purge those sins so the pure, sin-free soul can go to Heaven. It is kind of a countermeasure to the "Get out of hell free" card of Jesus, to ensure that people like George Bush, d**k Cheney, Rupert Murdoch, whatever, can't just float on by without atoning for the crap they put people through on earth.

(Though I'm pushing for that gang to end up in hell anyway. Towards middle, with the killers.)  

divineseraph

TrinityofLove

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:30 pm
divineseraph
TrinityofLove

So do many other christians who dont believe in purgatory.. myself included. I dont want the fate of my friends and family to be eternal damnation in hell. But what we think is good isnt always in Gods plans. He has his way of doing things and I really dont believe that purgatory is part of it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:55 pm
TrinityofLove
divineseraph
TrinityofLove

So do many other christians who dont believe in purgatory.. myself included. I dont want the fate of my friends and family to be eternal damnation in hell. But what we think is good isnt always in Gods plans. He has his way of doing things and I really dont believe that purgatory is part of it.

It may not be in God's plan in reality, but as a mortal we have no way of knowing. I find it best to think of the most just possibility. Think the way a caring God would, the way you would set up the universe, granted such power, and I think that you will lead to something close to the reality of God.  

divineseraph

*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff