Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wicca: Blessed Be

Back to Guilds

For anyone interested in Wicca, Paganism, or Witchcraft 

Tags: Wicca, Pagan, Witchcraft, New Age, Community 

Reply The Academy - - [classes, how-to's, guides] - - Ostara/Mabon Party! Join us!
[How-To] How to make a candle

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

zabazor
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:30 pm
NOTE: This class/discussion is no longer taught/led by a teacher. However, please feel free to read through it and ask any questions that you may have or express any thoughts/opinions you have. Just please don't ask, "Can I join the class?" Because the answer is 'no'. Thank you.

[New]
If you are anything like me you know candles are a big part of you practice. Ever notice how the ends of you candles never seem to fully melt away, and you end up throwing them away later? Waste not want not! So why not turn those wax ends into a new candle you made yourself? Here is a simple how to to get you going on your way to candle making 101. Hope you enjoy it.

[Old old Anecdote]
Okay, so i have had this candle, for a long time, and the wick burned out. I remelted it and added some crayons for color and now i have this dark green candle. I have my own little ritual B4 i do any circle casting, if possible. I light my "ritual" candle. I think i am the only one who dose this but as most parts of rituals it is all a way to bring you into a "mood". The items are meant to mean something to you and for me a circle wouldn't be complete without my special candle which i 1st got about 1week after i learned about wicca, so it means something. I was so depressed when the wick went out because i didnt' have a spare or the money to buy one, so i went online. I figured out the basic principles to a home brewed wick, and how to make one. So for anyone who wants to know ill explain how...

Supplies:

.cotton strings (3)
.wax or old candle pieces
.vinegar
.salt
.water
.crayons

Okay, 1st we need to make the wick. Make a solution of about 2parts vinegar, 1parts water, and 1parts salt "so the solution of salt is as high as it can be". let your strings soak in that for at least 12hours. Then pull your strings out and hang them to dry for 12hours. After they have fully dried braid them together, i will not explain how to braid, any girl should know. So whence the strings have fully been braided we are ready for the wax.

For making a candle I prefer to use an old glass jar. Then place it in a pot of boiling water. The water should not cover the top of the jar. Fill it up to about 2/3 the way up the jar. Place wax in the jar and let it fully melt. IF IT JIGGLES AND MAKES RACKET, THAT'S OK. Make sure not to get WATER into the JAR!!! Place the braid/wick into the melted wax. Let all the bubbles come out, then remove it from the wax. Pull the ends to make it as straight as possible. Then repeat this up to 3 times to make a straight wick. If u want to color the wax now would be a good time to add colored crayons. Mix them in well!... Attach a paper clip to one end of the wick to is wont float up when it is burning and burn out. Then add ur wick and slowly ice the water. DON'T LET ANY WATER ENTER THE JAR, IF IT IS CLOSE DRAIN SOME WATER! Let it be for about 5minutes WHILE YOU ARE HOLDING IT CENTER AND UP, LET IT HIT THE BOTTOM Aswell. This allows the wick to make a connection with the base. Then use something to hold the string upright, or hold it till he wax fully dries. "may take 1 hr... Then u have a hand made candle, and wick...

[edit]

*You May chose to buy your wick from a craft store. This wick recipe is poor, and more strings help it from burning out. A piece of wood treated the same way as the braid may also work. I prefer the store bought wick myself.

**Placing a glass/any jar in the boiling water helps the wax to melt evenly. I have also melted the wax directly into a pot, but for either the dip method or the jar candles, having a smaller vessel for the wax is helpful. But to each his own. I like both methods myself.

So yeah, i would like to hear people stories about making their own candles, and what your opinions on me having a SPECIAL CANDLE I USE FOR ALL MY RITUALS...^_^...am i just weird, i want to know...  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:30 pm
Hey, thanks for putting this up! I've been trying to figure out how to make my own candles, and now I know.  

Tari_Leralonde

Flying Dicks

Mega Sex Symbol

7,650 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:32 am
You should try adding a scented oil sometime 3nodding

Also you can make common tapers using the dipping method, but you will need a larger pot, jar, and more wax. You make the wicks and dip them to make the straight, but then you just keep dipping them over and over until they reach your desired thickness.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:40 am
I've never heard of making your own wicks. I'll have to try that out. 3nodding

I don't have a specific candle for rituals.. probably because I have too many to choose from.

The first candle I ever made would probably be my favorite if I still had it.. It was the dipped type, but since the wick I was using wasn't straight, my candle came out twisted like a spiral. Unfortunately it broke when I moved house, and I wasn't able to save the wax.  

Reivyn-chan

Starlock

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:19 am
Hmm. I'll probably reseach many different techniques before doing candlemaking, but I'll be sure to check this one out.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:07 am
You can also put petals and leaves inside of a candle. (There prettiest on the sides)  

EdanaDesmond

dark_angel_32189

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:16 am
I was watching that show How it's Made and they were showing how people hand made candles and then hand carved them. They're really pretty, but it looks hard to do (the hand carving part) because you only have like 15 minutes to do the carving before the candle hardens.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Here's a website that sells them:
http://www.candlequilter.com/  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:22 pm
Ahh... I remember being exposed to candle carving when I was still in the single digets. It is easier than it looks; you basically develop a set of techniques that you can do very quickly and use the techniques to get a given effect. Rather like sculpting any sort of material. There's a certain way you can make eyes quickly... a certain way you can make a spikey form quickly...

This particular candle looks a tad more complicated than the stuff I watched this candlemaker do as a kid though. mrgreen  

Starlock

zabazor
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:22 am
i actually saw that episode of how is made, funny.
I would try to make it smetime
but not now
and BTW
experiment with the porportions
and string thickness
for making wicks
mine is burning to quick
cuz i didnt use the right salt i belive
and well
it dose work though
better than just strings alonee
anyone find any beter, diffrent ways to make wicks
id love to see them...^_^  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:41 pm
I made my own candle with my other wiccan friend, one and only saddly~
We didn't use a glass or bottle or anything, instead, we dipped our wicks.
It's not hard at all, even if you have a shallow double boiler like we did.
We pretty much got a lead free premade wick, made a very small circle with the end of the wick and kept dipping till we reached a satisfactory size.
It was so much fun!
It didn't feel like it took long either!
We added herbs and flowers into the last layer of wax and it turned out really really pretty.
The beeswax we used made it smell really good too~
We're probably gonna do more once summer comes and stuff.
<3

_S i i lent x s k ieS_

zabazor
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:04 am
thats really cool
if u have a pic of the finished candle id love to see it...^_^  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:23 pm
this sounds really cool i'll have to try it smile  

stephy-gurl

SlaineWildfire

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:28 pm
I love making candles, but I generally use a double boiler setup with a smaller pot inside of a larger one, particularly because glass holders can shatter without warning and cause some serious problems. You can get cheap molds online for votive making, and you can also use glass jars once the wax is fully melted. I would also suggest buying pre-tabbed and pre-waxed wicks, as they burn much better and are a load easier to put into the candle as it sets. Don't forget to poke relief holes in the candle, and then repour, as it creates a more stable, less air-filled candle.

I have also discovered beeswax sheets, which are entirely natural and all you need to do is roll them up around the wick. Good stuff.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:47 am
I feel so stupid...all this time I was just throwing away old used wax sweatdrop
Wasteful crying

Athena Spring

Friendly Genius

4,550 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
The Academy - - [classes, how-to's, guides] - - Ostara/Mabon Party! Join us!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games