Submit

IS IT EVER OK TO LIE?
  YES...
  NO...
View Results

Icestar03

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:58 am
IS IT EVER ALRIGHT TO LIE?

FOR EXAMPLE WHAT IF SOMEONE'S LIFE WAS IN JEOPARDY AND YOU HAD TO LIE TO SAVE THEIR LIFE.

E.G. IF SOMEONE CAME TO YOUR DOOR AND ASKED IF SOMEONE WAS HOME, AND YOU KNEW THAT THEY WERE PLANNING ON HARMING THE PERSON, WHAT WOULD YOU DO? WOULD YOU SAY THAT THE PERSON WASN'T HOME? OR TELL THE TRUTH AND RISK THEM BEING HARMED?

(THAT KINDA DOESN'T MAKE SENSE, BUT U GET THE POINT) rolleyes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:42 pm
these are all things that make morality quite complicated. but, remember about the sheep and the goats? Sometimes we have to sin... and the reason we may HAVE to sin, is because others refuse to love, and set aside differences. its a cycle, and unfourtanately.. those who try to live a moral life, are faced with those decisions because of the human condition that we are born in to... (i know a lot of people are going to disagree with me, and tell me i'm an idiot... but from what i've seen of this trashed up world... its true)  

thrashmetaljunkie

Dcaff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:56 pm
Good question!

It is debatable, which isn't to say there isn't a 100% right answer. I do know this: no matter what happens, all things work to God's benefit ultimately. We aren't able to understand all the dynamics of how what we say plays into what happens. For example, in the book of Joshua we are told the story of Rahab. In Joshua 2:4, she lies to keep the Israelite spies safe. Was this wrong? Could God have saved the spies even if Rahab hadn't lied? Of course, but he worked with what Rahab did.

In pointing that out, I'm not sure I'm even helping answer the question...its just something I too think about. We are told later in Hebrews that "By faith the harlot Rahab did not perish with those who did not believe, when she had received the spies with peace." meaning she came to believe in God through her interaction with the spies. Ultimately it was a good thing! It turns out Jesus would come to be born out of Rahab's lineage.

There is another story which occured during holicost times in which a family was hiding some Jews in their house. Nazis knocked at the door and the family quickly hid the Jews in a hatch in the floor under their kitchen table. When questioned about whether or not they were hiding Jews, the family replied "No! Of course not!" Well, one of their two little girls spoke up and said "That's not true! They're hiding under the kitchen table!" The family looked at her in horror. "What did you say?" the Nazi's asked. "I said they're hiding! They're under the kitchen table!" The Nazi's laughed and left the home. The little girl refused to lie and yet, God was still able to protect the hiding Jews. I know that's a true story. I believe it comes from Corrie Ten Boom's autobiography "The Hiding Place". My apologies if I'm a little sketchy on how it all went down, but you get the point. In either case, it just goes to show that, lies or no lies, God's purposes are always fulfilled.

So yeah...take that for what you will. Obviously the above lies seemed to serve some good in both cases and most lies are destructive. So there is a bit of a difference in that sense?  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:11 pm
Icestar03
IS IT EVER ALRIGHT TO LIE?

FOR EXAMPLE WHAT IF SOMEONE'S LIFE WAS IN JEOPARDY AND YOU HAD TO LIE TO SAVE THEIR LIFE.

E.G. IF SOMEONE CAME TO YOUR DOOR AND ASKED IF SOMEONE WAS HOME, AND YOU KNEW THAT THEY WERE PLANNING ON HARMING THE PERSON, WHAT WOULD YOU DO? WOULD YOU SAY THAT THE PERSON WASN'T HOME? OR TELL THE TRUTH AND RISK THEM BEING HARMED?

(THAT KINDA DOESN'T MAKE SENSE, BUT U GET THE POINT) rolleyes

that would depend on the person and what their heart of hearts tells them
if telling the truth is the very core of someone they would not be able to lie and still live

perhaps if telling the truth is close to someones core than they might get physically ill after telling a lie  

lordstar

Kaki Pan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:33 pm
I think that it is wrong to lie, but if it's a matter of life and death it is worth it. I mean God would forgive you for lying whereas if that person die or gets hurt it would cause worse things to happen.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:33 pm
Dcaff
Good question!

It is debatable, which isn't to say there isn't a 100% right answer. I do know this: no matter what happens, all things work to God's benefit ultimately. We aren't able to understand all the dynamics of how what we say plays into what happens. For example, in the book of Joshua we are told the story of Rahab. In Joshua 2:4, she lies to keep the Israelite spies safe. Was this wrong? Could God have saved the spies even if Rahab hadn't lied? Of course, but he worked with what Rahab did.

In pointing that out, I'm not sure I'm even helping answer the question...its just something I too think about. We are told later in Hebrews that "By faith the harlot Rahab did not perish with those who did not believe, when she had received the spies with peace." meaning she came to believe in God through her interaction with the spies. Ultimately it was a good thing! It turns out Jesus would come to be born out of Rahab's lineage.

There is another story which occured during holicost times in which a family was hiding some Jews in their house. Nazis knocked at the door and the family quickly hid the Jews in a hatch in the floor under their kitchen table. When questioned about whether or not they were hiding Jews, the family replied "No! Of course not!" Well, one of their two little girls spoke up and said "That's not true! They're hiding under the kitchen table!" The family looked at her in horror. "What did you say?" the Nazi's asked. "I said they're hiding! They're under the kitchen table!" The Nazi's laughed and left the home. The little girl refused to lie and yet, God was still able to protect the hiding Jews. I know that's a true story. I believe it comes from Corrie Ten Boom's autobiography "The Hiding Place". My apologies if I'm a little sketchy on how it all went down, but you get the point. In either case, it just goes to show that, lies or no lies, God's purposes are always fulfilled.

So yeah...take that for what you will. Obviously the above lies seemed to serve some good in both cases and most lies are destructive. So there is a bit of a difference in that sense?

That is a well-thought out answer that makes a great deal of sense. ^^ I like that you backed it up with Biblical examples and a testimony from an inspirational figure. Good job! heart  

Michan Starweaver

6,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Citizen 200
  • Contributor 150
*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items