Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Your-Cold-Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:11 pm
Hmm never thought about it before *ponders*  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:38 pm
So much generalization in this thread crying ;

...And not all of Europe uses English you know >.>; And many people in Europe happen to learn American English...

Anyway, to really write/speak in British English, you would have to pretty much re-learn everything...

Use of present perfect...

BE: I've lost my car
AE: I lost my car

BE: I've just had a lesson
AE: The same, or I just had lunch

Get:

In American English get becomes 'gotten', but that isn't used in England.

Vocab:

Mean:
American English ? angry, bad humored, British English ? not generous, tight fisted

Rubber:
American English ? condom, British English ? tool used to erase pencil markings

American <--> British
Hood <--> Bonnet (Although I don't hear that one very often...)
Truck <--> Lorry
Trunk <--> Boot
Antenna <--> Aerial
Alumnus <--> Graduate
Anyplace <--> Anywhere
Apartment <--> Flat
Attorney <--> Barrister, Solicitor
Baby Carriage <--> Pram
Bar <--> Pub
Bill <--> Bank note
Broiler <--> Grill
Cab <--> Taxi
Can <--> Tin
Candy <--> Sweets
Checkers <--> Draughts
Closet <--> Wardrobe
Cookie <--> Biscuit
Corn <--> Maize (don't use that one very often...)
Crazy <--> Mad
Crib <--> Cot
Diaper <--> Nappy
Dish-towel <--> Tea-towel
Divided highway <--> Dual carriageway
Drapes <--> Curtains
Elevator <--> Lift
Drug store <--> Chemist's
Eraser <--> Rubber
Fall <--> Autumn
Faucet <--> Tap
First floor <--> Ground floor
Flashlight <--> Torch
Freeway <--> Motorway
French fries <--> Chips
Garbage, Trash <--> Rubbish
Gasoline <--> Petrol
Hobo <--> Tramp
Intermission <--> Interval
Intersection <--> Crossroads
Janitor <--> Caretaker
Line <--> Queue
Mad <--> Angry
Mail <--> Post
Math <--> Maths
Movie <--> Film
The Movies <--> The Cinema
Muffler <--> Silencer
Noplace <--> Nowhere
Pacifier <--> Dummy
Panti-hose <--> Tights
Pants <--> Trousers
Patrolman <--> Constable
Pitcher <--> Jug
Railroad <--> Railway
Scotch-tape - Sellotape (which is why lots of people didn't get the Spellotape joke in HP XD;; )
Semester <--> Term
Sick <--> Ill
Sidewalk <--> Pavement
Someplace <--> Somewhere
Spool of thread <--> Reel of cotton
Store <--> Shop
Stove <--> Cooker
Stroller <--> Push-chair
Subway <--> Underground (railway)
Suspenders <--> Braces
Undershirt <--> Vest
Vacation <--> Holiday
Vacuum cleaner <--> Hoover
Vest <--> Waistcoat
Windshield <--> Windscreen
Wreck <--> Crash
Wrench <--> Spanner
Yard <--> Garden
Zipper <--> Zip

X_X *dies* And there are even more than that... But I really can't be bothered to write the rest out XD;;

Then there's also the difference in use of past simple/past participles and prepositions...

Spelling:

-or / -our:
eg:
Color = Colour
Humor = Humour
Flavor = Flavour

?ize / ?ise:
eg:
Recognize = Recognise
Patronize = Patronise

My personal pet peeve:

American:
I felt obligated to help her out.

British:
I felt obliged to help her out.

I really don't like it when someone says 'obligated' XD;;;

....And a note on Education from Wikipedia, 'cause I wore myself out with that list XD;;;;

Quote:
Education
In the UK, a student is said to "read" or to "study" a subject, while in the U.S., a student either "studies" the subject or "majors" in it. Unlike most of the world where university students pursue a single field of study, United States universities often require a variety of courses. "To major" refers only to the student's principal course of study, while "to study" may be refer to any class being taken.

British English:

"She read history at Oxford".
American English:

"She majored in history at Yale."
In the UK, a student "revises" or "does revision" for an examination, while in American English, the student "studies" for it. When "taking" or "writing" the examination, a student in the UK would have that examination supervised by an "invigilator" whereas in American English it would be a "proctor" (or merely "(exam) supervisor").

In the UK, a student is said to "sit" or "take" an exam, while in the U.S., a student "takes" an exam. In the UK, a teacher "sets" an exam, while in the U.S., a teacher "writes" or "gives" an exam. The expression "he sits for" an exam also arises in British English, but only rarely in American English; American lawyers-to-be "sit for" their bar exams, and American master's and doctoral students may "sit for" their comprehensive exams, but in nearly all other instances, Americans "take" their exams.

British English:

"I sat my Spanish exam yesterday."
"I plan to set a difficult exam for my students, but I haven't got it ready yet."
American English:

"I took my exams at Yale."
"I spent the entire day yesterday writing the exam. At last, it's ready for my students."
Another source of confusion is the different usage of the word college. In the U.S., this refers to a post-high school institution such as a university, whilst in the UK and most Commonwealth countries it refers primarily to a tertiary institution between high school and university (normally referred to as a "Sixth Form College" after the old name in secondary education for Years 12 and 13, the "6th form") where intermediary courses such as A Levels or NVQs can be taken and GCSE courses can be retaken, with the interchangeability of college with high school being rare but not unknown. Americans may be surprised to hear of a 14 year old attending college in the UK, mistakenly assuming it is at the university level. It should be noted however, that in the case of Oxford and Cambridge universities, all members are also members of a college, e.g. one is a member of St. Peter's College, Oxford and hence the University.

In both the U.S. and UK, college can refer to some division within a university such as a "college of mathematics and science". Institutions in the U.S. that offer two to four years of post-high school education often have the word college as part of their name, while those offering more advanced degrees are called a university. American students who pursue a bachelor's degree (four years of higher education) or an associate's degree (two years of higher education) are "college students" regardless of whether they attend a college or a university and refer to their educational institutions informally as colleges. However, a student who pursues a master's degree or a doctorate degree in the arts and sciences is a "graduate student." Students of advanced professional programmes are known by their field (business student, law student, journalism student).

Among high school and college students in the United States, the words freshman (or the gender neutral term frosh), sophomore, junior and senior refer to the first, second, third, and fourth year respectively. It is important that the context of either high school or college first be established, or else it must be stated directly (that is, "She is a high school freshman." "He is a college junior."). Many institutions in both countries also use the term "first-year" as a gender-neutral replacement for "freshman". In the UK, first year university students are often called freshers; however, there are no specific names for those in other years, nor for school pupils. Graduate and professional students in the United States are known by their year of study (a "second year medical student" or a "fifth year doctoral candidate").

In the UK, the US equivalent of a high school is often referred to as a secondary school regardless of whether it is public or private. Secondary education in the United States also includes middle school or junior high school, a two or three year transitional school between elementary school and high school. A public school has opposite meanings in the two countries. In the US this is a government owned institution supported by taxpayers. In the UK it is an independent institution funded by tuition. The United States uses several additional terms for specific types of secondary schools. A prep school or preparatory school is an independent school funded by tuition. A parochial school covers costs through tuition and has affiliation with a religious institution. A magnet school receives government funding and has special admission requirements. Students gain admission through superior performance on admission tests.

...so yes XD; Adding 'bloody' after every other word won't make you sound 'British' XD; And the stereotypical British accent even more so... especially since Britain is made up of England, Wales, Scotland and N. Ireland... each of which have a general accent, and many accents and dialects within....

Okay, okay XD; I'm done XD;;;  

sakuraso

elwine

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:54 am
Geez sakuraso. I just had a nice lesson reading that. Haha it was cool though.

I took four years of French. Since then, I spell "theater" theatre, "December" Decembre, "November" Novembre and there are a few others.

I got points taken off of papers and such since then because of that.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:28 am
elwine
Geez sakuraso. I just had a nice lesson reading that. Haha it was cool though.

I took four years of French. Since then, I spell "theater" theatre, "December" Decembre, "November" Novembre and there are a few others.

I got points taken off of papers and such since then because of that.

lol, well, you would get points taken off, even here for the months XD; Theatre is spot on though wink Likewise for centre~ But those months would only get you somewhere in France razz

I guess I got a bit carried away XD; But I'm so tired of seeing the same topic come up~ Just doing my bit to increase the knowledge and awareness of people razz

...I took French for 9 years crying It's sorta ruined it for me~ It's so handy for being a linguist, but I now have no desire to take it further crying  

sakuraso

DoktorJackal

Lonely Phantom

11,250 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:09 pm
I don't skip random letters when I spell words and I definatly don't use the American-English spell check on my computer.
I'm not so lazy as to skip out letters when I'm typing.  
Main Forum: Haven for Harry Potter Fanatics

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff