Reply Debate and Discussion
One World Religion Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Angel of the End

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:40 am
Ok, we don't have to respect or agree with each other, but love each other ok? God does not respect us or agree with us at times, but he still loves us (which is a fact we can all agree on who believe in a God, I'm sure). So, lets get back to the topic of a World Religion. If you ask me, it would also take away from the beauty in different cultures, as well as seeing how many religions have such different views, it would not work. Also, there are cults of different religions, so that would not be good. Last but not least, that would be telling everyone exactly what to believe and would take out the choice that God gave us and to some extent our free will. You all know how conservative and how much I believe exactly what the Bible says, however, here I listed some thoughts from outside this. (not to mention you can not force people to love and accept others, which some religions say you do not have to do so to people of a different faith)  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:08 am
Angel of the End
Ok, we don't have to respect or agree with each other, but love each other ok? God does not respect us or agree with us at times, but he still loves us (which is a fact we can all agree on who believe in a God, I'm sure). So, lets get back to the topic of a World Religion. If you ask me, it would also take away from the beauty in different cultures, as well as seeing how many religions have such different views, it would not work. Also, there are cults of different religions, so that would not be good. Last but not least, that would be telling everyone exactly what to believe and would take out the choice that God gave us and to some extent our free will. You all know how conservative and how much I believe exactly what the Bible says, however, here I listed some thoughts from outside this. (not to mention you can not force people to love and accept others, which some religions say you do not have to do so to people of a different faith)

No, it would be the exact opposite of telling people what to believe. It would widen the criteria for people looking for salvation. Don't wear a veil? So what. Don't think Jesus was God? You're still fine. It would allow people to choose the denomination, if any, that best suits their view of the one God, so long as they follow the basic criteria set up in every holy book- Don't kill, don't hurt, don't steal.

It would make choosing between Judaism, Islam and Christianty effectively the same as choosing to be a Catholic, Protestant or Mormon.  

divineseraph

divineseraph

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:12 am
b-asinine
mazuac

mazuac
Like, why would God reveal for women to wear Hijabs, even when for the other 5,000 years women didn't have to wear hijabs, etc. That's just an example, but yeah

It's called radicalism. Not all Muslims follow nor believe what the Taliban and Al Queda preach. They do that as a way to control the people out of fear - and use religion as a tool to manipulate with.

Exactly. Radicals are not the definition of a religion. Again, for a Christian example, look at the KKK.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:04 am
divineseraph
Exactly. Radicals are not the definition of a religion. Again, for a Christian example, look at the KKK.

THANK YOU.

Now, if only I could convince the people in my city of such...

b-asinine

mazuac

4,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Statustician 100
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:43 am
divineseraph
b-asinine
mazuac

mazuac
Like, why would God reveal for women to wear Hijabs, even when for the other 5,000 years women didn't have to wear hijabs, etc. That's just an example, but yeah

It's called radicalism. Not all Muslims follow nor believe what the Taliban and Al Queda preach. They do that as a way to control the people out of fear - and use religion as a tool to manipulate with.

What? I didn't say they were radicals o-0... I was just giving an example of why would God suddenly say that women must wear Hijabs even though since Abraham, women haven't had to do that? I wasn't calling anyone a radical...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:41 am
mazuac
divineseraph
b-asinine
mazuac

mazuac

What? I didn't say they were radicals o-0... I was just giving an example of why would God suddenly say that women must wear Hijabs even though since Abraham, women haven't had to do that? I wasn't calling anyone a radical...
[/quote

But only radicals and extremists would find such thing to be a serious offense.

Again, just like the part in the bible that says to put homosexuals to death- The KKK takes that part very seriously. Doesn't mean that the KKK is a good advocate of Christianity.

divineseraph

Sarcastic_Angel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:06 pm
divineseraph
Sarcastic_Angel
divineseraph
Sarcastic_Angel
divineseraph
Sarcastic_Angel

True that Allah translated is God. Thank you for pointing that, and please forgive me as I haven't used what Islamic knowledge I do have in over a year. However, although Islams claim that Allah is the same as God, why doesn't Allah give the same guidelines and truths as he does in the Bible? Allah orders that theives have their hand cut off while God declares that everyone should be forgiven "70 times 7" times although we definitely don't deserve it. They are not the same.

As to your second response to me:
World peace is not blasphemous, just highly, highly, highly unlikely. Christ Followers like myself are taught in the New Testement that Jesus Christ is the only way to eternity in heaven with God. So to us, and our beliefs, combining other religions with our own and changing Christianity to fit with other religions is blasphemous. As to the belief that only one prophet is the way to heaven and that there are those "idiots," as you call them, that follow him, it is what I was taught to believe, it is what all Christ followers are taught to believe, and it is part of our religion.
And thanks for calling me an idiot. Really, thanks. I would rather be considered an idiot on earth and live for eternity, then spend eternity in grief and pain.

Thanks to Siren and Promark.
You're welcome Angel of the End.

Forgive them 70 times 7 times, unless they practice sorcery or eat pork or are homosexual or are slaves. An eye for an eye. Any religion can look harsh if you're looking for the outdated violence in the text written by mortals.

And if this is what you are taught, what makes muslims wrong or bad for believing what THEY were taught? And hold on, you don't believe in any other prophet? Moses was wrong? Noah was wrong? Abraham was wrong? Those who think of the timeline of religion as "Nothing, nothing nothing, Jesus is God, Liars, liars, liars" are simply wrong.

I was paraphrasing Matthew 18:20-22. After that there is no exceptions to what can be forgiven. It is simply saying that those who sin should be forgiven. And it is true that any religion can seem harsh, but in the Islamic countries today, thieves still lose their hand, women are forced to wear head coverings, and can't have power within the family for fear of getting brutally beaten, even killed. They still live by the old religious texts. and Judaism still follows the old kosher laws given to them, but as for punishment and sacrifice they were forced to conform with the current laws of society.
In the Christian religion, when Jesus came to Earth he fulfilled the old law, the Old Covenant which God created with Abraham. He then nullified that Old Covenant and made the New Covenant with us, that came about with his death on the cross, which saved us from our sins. We no longer live by the old outdated texts.

When did I ever say Muslims were bad for believing what they believe? When did I ever condemn them or anyone that sinned? I simply believe that what the Muslims believe is wrong as part of my extensive beliefs. I believe that people sin, even me, but that I shouldn't condemn everyone for it. I have friends that are Wiccan, homosexuals, lying manipulators, conceited and self-centered. And I'm some of those things. But it's not my place to judge them.
And I do believe in the other prophets. I do believe that what they taught as part of the Old Covenant was valid when they taught it. They were correct when it was their time to teach. I believe in the disciples and what they taught. I simply believe that Jesus nullified the Old Covenant and created a New Covenant with his death. And I believe that believing that Jesus did this so we could all be saved for eternity is the only way of getting to heaven. I believe it is as he said. "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Again, human greed and worldly power justified by outdated religious texts. Some extremist christians resort to violence. KKK comes to mind.

Again the "Except through me"- Very ambiguous, could mean many things. Such as living LIKE him, through is example.

And as for muslims being bad- If they are wrong in you god's eyes, then they must be sinning and must be bad. I see no other reason to condemn them to hellfire unless they are truly bad, in your eyes.

Very true in some cases. There are extremists and hypocrites in every religion. I, however, and my christian friends try not to be like that and try to truly follow Jesus. And the Bible is always being interpreted, both correctly and incorrectly. People can make the bible say what they want it to say, in order to do what they want. And Jesus was around 2000 years ago, so his parables and teaching style fit that time, not ours. It can be confusing, and I don't think we can be really, positively, absolutely sure about the true interpretation until we get to heaven and ask God. We just have to try our best to follow His will until then.

Living like Jesus is part of our relationship with him. He was the perfect man, the Son of God and being a Christ follower means that we believe he died to save us, and that we try to follow his will which is that we can be like him, and that we share his good message with those who do not know. So I think in this case, there is only one interpretation, since it incorporates the living "like" him, becoming part of the body of Christ once we believe, and listening to what he teaches, as they show us the way into heaven.

1) Being wrong is not necessarily a sin. In some cases we don't have enough information to get to the truth of matters. And sometimes it is, like when you have been shown God's message, and yet are still ignorant towards it. 2) And everybody sins. Even Christians sin. I'm positive I sin every day, whether it's a concious choice or not. It's human nature to sin. We were given the power of choice and that allowed Adam and Eve to fall from the place of perfection they were in. We all make mistakes, we all make bad choices. We. All. Sin. That is why Jesus came to earth. He made a new covenant and offered us the gift of salvation. It's just up to us to take it. And the amazing thing is, it's always there for us to take. Always. 3)As for condemning people to hell based off of what religion they are or choices that they make in life, that's not up to me, or my fellow Christ Followers or any other person in the world. It is up to our God.

1- My point exactly. So taking quotes from a religious text to demean any religion is pointless, since there are nearly infinite definitions, and wrongs have been done in the name of every religion to prove it.

2-Living like Jesus is more important than acknowledging Jesus as God, in my opinion. George Bush acknowledges Jesus as God, yet he starts moneypit wars with innocent nations. Cheney is a war profiteer. Murdoch spreads miitary fanaticism across America. None of these people are LIKE Christ but all of them WORSHIP Christ. It seems to me that this is a bad way of determining goodness, if people like this are deemed better than Ghandi.

3- Yes, everyone sins. It is human nature. And I don't think that God, knowing this, would allow a system which makes it so that those who commit more numerous and grievous sins get into heaven while those who simply consider Jesus the wrong thing go to hell, regardless of how holy or Christlike they were in life.

So I have gotten your point (although I don't believe in the entirety of it), but you have failed to grasp mine. I don't know how else to explain it. I have said it in the simplest way I can think of, but don't know how else to get across. I will stick by my ways and beliefs, and pray for you, whether you want my prayers or not.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:37 pm
b-asinine
mazuac
User Image
He has Redeemed Me!Though I

Also, agreed. With SoS and Sarcastic_Angel. But, I mean, yes we are having a heated debate. But don't we all here beleive in Jesus Christ? We may have different thoughts and beliefs, but we can all agree that Christ Jesus died for us on the cross and has given us an eternal gift in Heaven~ Wow, I am in a really calm mood right now XD

User Image

am undeserving, He gave his life for mine.

Not everyone in this guild believes that. This guild is for Christians AND non-Christians. So therefore, you can surely expect debate to some extent. Besides, he [divineseraph] is not saying anything against any religion... He is merely trying to open your eyes about certain facts.

mazuac

xxPromarkxx
I have a couple bits of advice for you:

1) Don't swear. It makes you look unintelligent.
2) Don't insult people. It's rude, and won't make you any friends.
3) Don't put words into people's mouths. It shows us that you are desperate to win an argument.

Are you just talking because you don't have any other arguement?

We are okay with not everyone believing what we believe. That's fine. But this is a christian guild, and like i've said, not a random "debate and attack my religion and philosophy" guild, when they have one, then go ahead. Lay it on.This is supposed to be a place where christians can come and find rest, you wouldn't go into a church and start telling the preacher he is wrong while up at the pulpit would you? This is our church.

You are welcome here as long as you can respect us and what we believe, and telling us we are wrong for what we believe, when this guild was set up for that sole purpose and on those core beliefs, then something has to change. We will gladly accept and respect you as long as you can do the same for us. I wont' force you to be a christian in this guild and i'm not forcing you to believe what i believe, we are just stating what we believe in. Please be okay with that.

Siren of Saturn

mazuac

4,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Statustician 100
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:06 pm
Siren of Saturn
b-asinine
mazuac
User Image

Also, agreed. With SoS and Sarcastic_Angel. But, I mean, yes we are having a heated debate. But don't we all here beleive in Jesus Christ? We may have different thoughts and beliefs, but we can all agree that Christ Jesus died for us on the cross and has given us an eternal gift in Heaven~ Wow, I am in a really calm mood right now XD

User Image

Not everyone in this guild believes that. This guild is for Christians AND non-Christians. So therefore, you can surely expect debate to some extent. Besides, he [divineseraph] is not saying anything against any religion... He is merely trying to open your eyes about certain facts.

mazuac

xxPromarkxx

3) Don't put words into people's mouths. It shows us that you are desperate to win an argument.

We are okay with not everyone believing what we believe. That's fine. But this is a christian guild, and like i've said, not a random "debate and attack my religion and philosophy" guild, when they have one, then go ahead. Lay it on.This is supposed to be a place where christians can come and find rest, you wouldn't go into a church and start telling the preacher he is wrong while up at the pulpit would you? This is our church.

Thank you! ^^ And this guild really is my church. Hah! I know I've said this more than a thousand times, but no one around me in real life is/acts like a Christian, they swear, and do other things that aren't very, well, healthy for a new Christian like me XD Anyways, this guild is sort of my refuge, where I can find other Christians to talk with and yeah~

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:40 am
I never said your belief in your religion was wrong. Believe what you will in regards to God.

I was merely saying the facts that you tried to argue with were wrong. Only the facts. I'm not debating anything about your religion, nor about what's wrong or right.

b-asinine

divineseraph

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:56 am
Siren of Saturn
b-asinine
mazuac
User Image

User Image

mazuac

xxPromarkxx

This is supposed to be a place where christians can come and find rest, you wouldn't go into a church and start telling the preacher he is wrong while up at the pulpit would you? This is our church.

Jesus did.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:59 am
Sarcastic_Angel
divineseraph
Sarcastic_Angel
divineseraph
Sarcastic_Angel

I was paraphrasing Matthew 18:20-22. After that there is no exceptions to what can be forgiven. It is simply saying that those who sin should be forgiven. And it is true that any religion can seem harsh, but in the Islamic countries today, thieves still lose their hand, women are forced to wear head coverings, and can't have power within the family for fear of getting brutally beaten, even killed. They still live by the old religious texts. and Judaism still follows the old kosher laws given to them, but as for punishment and sacrifice they were forced to conform with the current laws of society.
In the Christian religion, when Jesus came to Earth he fulfilled the old law, the Old Covenant which God created with Abraham. He then nullified that Old Covenant and made the New Covenant with us, that came about with his death on the cross, which saved us from our sins. We no longer live by the old outdated texts.

When did I ever say Muslims were bad for believing what they believe? When did I ever condemn them or anyone that sinned? I simply believe that what the Muslims believe is wrong as part of my extensive beliefs. I believe that people sin, even me, but that I shouldn't condemn everyone for it. I have friends that are Wiccan, homosexuals, lying manipulators, conceited and self-centered. And I'm some of those things. But it's not my place to judge them.
And I do believe in the other prophets. I do believe that what they taught as part of the Old Covenant was valid when they taught it. They were correct when it was their time to teach. I believe in the disciples and what they taught. I simply believe that Jesus nullified the Old Covenant and created a New Covenant with his death. And I believe that believing that Jesus did this so we could all be saved for eternity is the only way of getting to heaven. I believe it is as he said. "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Again, human greed and worldly power justified by outdated religious texts. Some extremist christians resort to violence. KKK comes to mind.

Again the "Except through me"- Very ambiguous, could mean many things. Such as living LIKE him, through is example.

And as for muslims being bad- If they are wrong in you god's eyes, then they must be sinning and must be bad. I see no other reason to condemn them to hellfire unless they are truly bad, in your eyes.

Very true in some cases. There are extremists and hypocrites in every religion. I, however, and my christian friends try not to be like that and try to truly follow Jesus. And the Bible is always being interpreted, both correctly and incorrectly. People can make the bible say what they want it to say, in order to do what they want. And Jesus was around 2000 years ago, so his parables and teaching style fit that time, not ours. It can be confusing, and I don't think we can be really, positively, absolutely sure about the true interpretation until we get to heaven and ask God. We just have to try our best to follow His will until then.

Living like Jesus is part of our relationship with him. He was the perfect man, the Son of God and being a Christ follower means that we believe he died to save us, and that we try to follow his will which is that we can be like him, and that we share his good message with those who do not know. So I think in this case, there is only one interpretation, since it incorporates the living "like" him, becoming part of the body of Christ once we believe, and listening to what he teaches, as they show us the way into heaven.

1) Being wrong is not necessarily a sin. In some cases we don't have enough information to get to the truth of matters. And sometimes it is, like when you have been shown God's message, and yet are still ignorant towards it. 2) And everybody sins. Even Christians sin. I'm positive I sin every day, whether it's a concious choice or not. It's human nature to sin. We were given the power of choice and that allowed Adam and Eve to fall from the place of perfection they were in. We all make mistakes, we all make bad choices. We. All. Sin. That is why Jesus came to earth. He made a new covenant and offered us the gift of salvation. It's just up to us to take it. And the amazing thing is, it's always there for us to take. Always. 3)As for condemning people to hell based off of what religion they are or choices that they make in life, that's not up to me, or my fellow Christ Followers or any other person in the world. It is up to our God.

1- My point exactly. So taking quotes from a religious text to demean any religion is pointless, since there are nearly infinite definitions, and wrongs have been done in the name of every religion to prove it.

2-Living like Jesus is more important than acknowledging Jesus as God, in my opinion. George Bush acknowledges Jesus as God, yet he starts moneypit wars with innocent nations. Cheney is a war profiteer. Murdoch spreads miitary fanaticism across America. None of these people are LIKE Christ but all of them WORSHIP Christ. It seems to me that this is a bad way of determining goodness, if people like this are deemed better than Ghandi.

3- Yes, everyone sins. It is human nature. And I don't think that God, knowing this, would allow a system which makes it so that those who commit more numerous and grievous sins get into heaven while those who simply consider Jesus the wrong thing go to hell, regardless of how holy or Christlike they were in life.

So I have gotten your point (although I don't believe in the entirety of it), but you have failed to grasp mine. I don't know how else to explain it. I have said it in the simplest way I can think of, but don't know how else to get across. I will stick by my ways and beliefs, and pray for you, whether you want my prayers or not.

I know what you believe- That Jesus is the only way into heaven. However, I am here to present the flaws of this idea. I am not trying to convert you to a new God or Prophet or anything. I am merely trying to show you that maybe, just maybe, muslims won't go to hell for simply calling Jesus the wrong name.  

divineseraph

Siren of Saturn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:37 am
divineseraph
Siren of Saturn
b-asinine
mazuac
User Image

User Image

mazuac

xxPromarkxx

This is supposed to be a place where christians can come and find rest, you wouldn't go into a church and start telling the preacher he is wrong while up at the pulpit would you? This is our church.

Jesus did.

Quote it in scripture.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:22 am
Siren of Saturn
divineseraph
Siren of Saturn
b-asinine
mazuac
User Image

User Image

mazuac

xxPromarkxx

Jesus did.

Quote it in scripture.
But isn't that what Jesus did in pretty much all four Gospels?  

Ricette

divineseraph

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:57 am
I don't know what to search or where to find it, but it was when he was a child specifically. He ran off when Mary and Joseph took him to.. Bethlehem, was it? Anyway, when they went back to find him, he had gone into a church and he was debating with the priests and winning.

There was also the time he went into a church, saw how they were selling things in the church, and started arguing with them about that. If he saw something wrong in a church, he would say something about it.  
Debate and Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff