Submit

Santa okay for kids?
  Sure, why not?
  No, Christmas is about Jesus and only Jesus
View Results

ioioouiouiouio

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:39 pm
hot_wheels_turbo_racing
You're wrong. My school is different. They do understand, and since you've never been there, don't try to tell me I'm wrong.

You're right. I haven't been to your school. Lemme ask you question about it, though. About how big is it?

Quote:

No, I've heard God.

No, you haven't. How do I know? Because God said no more prophecies untill later on (some time in the apocolypse). You may have had His will made clear to you, or even gotten 'one of those feelings' (where you know it was God-inspired), but you have not heard God.

Quote:

Yeah, so people should stop trying to convince kids Santa Claus is real.

They don't 'try' to convince their kids. They just do. Kids are easily influenced. You know, 'mummy an' daddy said it, is its gots to be reel' and all that jazz. This attitude is exactly what stops kids from 'getting' God. They don't understand what their told, they just accept it.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:46 am
Cometh The Inquisitor
You're right.

There's a statement I don't hear enough.

Cometh The Inquisitor
Lemme ask you question about it, though. About how big is it?

Currently, in all, there's about 130 students.

Cometh The Inquisitor
No, you haven't. How do I know? Because God said no more prophecies untill later on (some time in the apocolypse). You may have had His will made clear to you, or even gotten 'one of those feelings' (where you know it was God-inspired), but you have not heard God.

Again, you're not me, so you can't say that. I have heard God.

And what do you mean about "no more prophecies"? There are still prophecies today.

Cometh The Inquisitor
They don't 'try' to convince their kids. They just do. Kids are easily influenced.

Then they'd do better influencing them about God and not Santa.

Cometh The Inquisitor
You know, 'mummy an' daddy said it, is its gots to be reel' and all that jazz. This attitude is exactly what stops kids from 'getting' God. They don't understand what their told, they just accept it.

Well, I'll tell you that when I was told about God as a kid, I understood what I was told, not just accepted it.  

hot_wheels_turbo_racing

ioioouiouiouio

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:17 pm
hot_wheels_turbo_racing
Currently, in all, there's about 130 students.

ok... So, unless you go to battle school, I'd say that (according to the percentage of child prodigies compared to normal people) there are probably 0-1 people in your school capable of understanding God at a young age. God is an abstract concept, and kids can't understand abstract concepts.

Quote:
Again, you're not me, so you can't say that. I have heard God.

And what do you mean about "no more prophecies"? There are still prophecies today.

If someone told me they heard the will of the Flying spaghetti monster, I wouldn't need to be them to realise that they were wrong.

And no, there are no prophecies today. Why? God said so. We don't get to talk straight to God.

Quote:

Then they'd do better influencing them about God and not Santa.

Probably, but, considering we are talking about christian parents, they do that just fine.

Quote:

Well, I'll tell you that when I was told about God as a kid, I understood what I was told, not just accepted it.

Sorry, pinnochio, but you aren't a real boy. Sure, you may think you understood God, but you didn't. Unless, of course, you were that 0-1 kid in your school, at which case you would probably understand just how stupid all the other kids are. I don't care if it's circular logic, it's still true.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:31 pm
Cometh The Inquisitor
ok... So, unless you go to battle school, I'd say that (according to the percentage of child prodigies compared to normal people) there are probably 0-1 people in your school capable of understanding God at a young age. God is an abstract concept, and kids can't understand abstract concepts.

Well, you're wrong about my school, and I don't appreciate you badmouthing it.

Cometh The Inquisitor
And no, there are no prophecies today. Why? God said so. We don't get to talk straight to God.

Where did God ever say there are no prophecies in today's age? And what do you mean, "We don't get to talk straight to God"?

Cometh The Inquisitor
Sorry, pinnochio, but you aren't a real boy. Sure, you may think you understood God, but you didn't. Unless, of course, you were that 0-1 kid in your school, at which case you would probably understand just how stupid all the other kids are. I don't care if it's circular logic, it's still true.

Okay, that is a flat-out remark against me, and I'd report you if I could. Your remark is directly derogatory and degrading. You are not, never have been, or ever will be me. You cannot go saying I could or couldn't have been capable of/done this or that because you have no right to say to. You cannot determing what I am/was capabale or incapable of.

Ban, ban, ban, dang, I don't have that power.  

hot_wheels_turbo_racing

ioioouiouiouio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:35 pm
hot_wheels_turbo_racing
Well, you're wrong about my school, and I don't appreciate you badmouthing it.

I'm not badmouthing it. I'm saying that you aren't genius' (hence, the battle school reference, if you've read any of the Ender's series). Heck, the reason your estimate was so high is because your a small school. big school with a couple thousand kids? Not a chance of even a single person capable.

Quote:

Where did God ever say there are no prophecies in today's age? And what do you mean, "We don't get to talk straight to God"?

Oh, it was something along the lines of "no more fun stuff 'til the second coming'. Can't remember exactly where it was. And just what I said, we don't get to talk to God (the father). We have to go through Jesus.

Quote:

Okay, that is a flat-out remark against me, and I'd report you if I could. Your remark is directly derogatory and degrading. You are not, never have been, or ever will be me. You cannot go saying I could or couldn't have been capable of/done this or that because you have no right to say to. You cannot determing what I am/was capabale or incapable of.

No, I just said you were average but, incomparison to have the intelligence level of a child prodigy, rather stupid. Of course, we all are rather stupid compared to an actual genius. Really, though I'm sorry you took what I said as an insult, the fact stands. Unless you are a certified child prodigy (which, just considering the mere probability of it, I doubt), you were not able to understand the concept of God at a young age (neither is/was anyone else).

Quote:
Ban, ban, ban, dang, I don't have that power.

Good, especially since I haven't done anythig worthy of a ban. A warning at most, maybe.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:42 pm
Cometh The Inquisitor
Oh, it was something along the lines of "no more fun stuff 'til the second coming'. Can't remember exactly where it was.

Well, you're going to have to come up with a lot more than that if you think I'm going to believe that.

Cometh The Inquisitor
We have to go through Jesus.

Where in the Bible does it ever say we have to go through Jesus?

Cometh The Inquisitor
Unless you are a certified child prodigy (which, just considering the mere probability of it, I doubt), you were not able to understand the concept of God at a young age (neither is/was anyone else).

You're wrong...there's no other way I can say it nicely.

Cometh The Inquisitor
Good, especially since I haven't done anythig worthy of a ban. A warning at most, maybe.

Hardly  

hot_wheels_turbo_racing

ioioouiouiouio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:50 pm
hot_wheels_turbo_racing
Well, you're going to have to come up with a lot more than that if you think I'm going to believe that.

Eh, I'll try.

Cometh The Inquisitor
Where in the Bible does it ever say we have to go through Jesus?

Y'know, that whole, like, "One way to the Father" bit?

Quote:

You're wrong...there's no other way I can say it nicely.

Like to prove that?

Quote:

Hardly

Oh, I've broken less rules then you have. You know, all those times you said something was satanic or of the devil. And how about those times you called me not christian? Oh, and that time...

Really, we could get into some big pissing contest over whose broken more rules and gotten away with it, or we can just act like big boys and be mature.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:52 am
Cometh The Inquisitor
Y'know, that whole, like, "One way to the Father" bit?

You're going to have to be a lot more specific than that, and if I remember corretctly, that was not in reference to prayer.

Cometh The Inquisitor
Like to prove that?

You bet.

Cometh The Inquisitor
You know, all those times you said something was satanic or of the devil.

If it's not of God, it's of the Devil.

Cometh The Inquisitor
And how about those times you called me not christian?

Never said you weren't one, only asked because you were probably conveying a very non-Christian idea or principle.

Cometh The Inquisitor
Oh, and that time...

Please...

Cometh The Inquisitor
pissing

Don't cuss, please

Cometh The Inquisitor
we can just act like big boys and be mature.

Or even better, turn this coversation back towards the original topic. Now then, I'll ask again. Why do you insist it is not harmful for children to believe in Santa? Woodlock gave some pretty good reasons why back on the first page.  

hot_wheels_turbo_racing

ioioouiouiouio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:01 pm
hot_wheels_turbo_racing
You're going to have to be a lot more specific than that, and if I remember corretctly, that was not in reference to prayer.

Prayer is the only way to talk to God.

Quote:

If it's not of God, it's of the Devil.

Well, duh. But we're still not aloud to call it satanic.

Quote:

Don't cuss, please

I'm not. I simply chose the less offensive of two variations of a very applicable analogy.

Quote:
Why do you insist it is not harmful for children to believe in Santa? Woodlock gave some pretty good reasons why back on the first page.

Because it isn't harmful. It is a decidedly nuetral action, as it can be bad (if taught incorrectly [or to a stupid person]), and it can be good (teaching kid's the whole 'christmas is about giving'). And I believe I did reply to woodlock, though it is decidedly irrelavent, as I am discussing what you say and have said.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:25 pm
Cometh The Inquisitor
[Prayer is the only way to talk to God.

And did I ever say it wasn't?

Cometh The Inquisitor
Well, duh. But we're still not aloud to call it satanic.

Who says?

Cometh The Inquisitor
I'm not. I simply chose the less offensive of two variations of a very applicable analogy.

No, that word was not necessary to prove your point at all.

Cometh The Inquisitor
as it can be bad (if taught incorrectly [or to a stupid person])

Which is why people shouldn't bother.

Cometh The Inquisitor
and it can be good (teaching kid's the whole 'christmas is about giving').

Which is why Jesus is a better example for that.

Cometh The Inquisitor
And I believe I did reply to woodlock, though it is decidedly irrelavent, as I am discussing what you say and have said.

No, not really, because I hold practically the exact same views.  

hot_wheels_turbo_racing

Gambol

Shy Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:18 am
My parents didn't let me believe in Santa.

So, I've always thought that it was foolish to believe in Santa.
But I sure liked having my picture taken! razz  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:49 pm
Gambol
My parents didn't let me believe in Santa.

You were a very priviledged child. I can only wish I could have been in that place.

Gambol
So, I've always thought that it was foolish to believe in Santa.

And even though there was a time I believed in him, I still feel it was foolish.  

hot_wheels_turbo_racing

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:59 am
Wow, Hotwheels and Cometh, the two of you amuse me. **has read through your entire little bickering contest** Anyway, that whole thing about "not being able to hear God until the Apocolypse" that Cometh said. Who's to say we're not already near the Apocolypse? I don't remember seeing a set date in the Bible. And the Bible never says anything about no more prophecies. If it did, I'd like to see your verses that back it up.

And then about children believing in Santa versus believing in God- we're learning about cognitive development in my Human Development class. Until a child is around the age of 12 or so, they can't even really begin to understand who God is. Their minds don't have the cognitive capability of understanding something so abstract. Santa on the other hand is easier for them to grasp, because we normally liken him to a real person. Granted, real people don't live in the north pole with elves and fly on a sled with magical reindeer, but to a child, that makes more sense than an omnipotent, omnipresent God that is Lord over all the universe. Besides. Santa brings toys. smile

I guess my point is that it wouldn't matter if you introduced your child to God at an early age or not. Until they hit adolescence, they just aren't going to understand what you're talking about.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:52 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
Wow, Hotwheels and Cometh, the two of you amuse me.

I try.

Fushigi na Butterfly
Anyway, that whole thing about "not being able to hear God until the Apocolypse" that Cometh said. Who's to say we're not already near the Apocolypse?

Exactly

Fushigi na Butterfly
And the Bible never says anything about no more prophecies. If it did, I'd like to see your verses that back it up.

So would I.

Fushigi na Butterfly
And then about children believing in Santa versus believing in God- we're learning about cognitive development in my Human Development class. Until a child is around the age of 12 or so, they can't even really begin to understand who God is.

There is a difference between believing in something and understanding something. I can believe and know that objects accelerating due to gravity fall at -9.81 meters per second, but I don't have to understand how that happens to know it.

Fushigi na Butterfly
Besides. Santa brings toys. smile

God brings salvation. That's much more important.

Fushigi na Butterfly
I guess my point is that it wouldn't matter if you introduced your child to God at an early age or not. Until they hit adolescence, they just aren't going to understand what you're talking about.

Again, understanding and knowing are two different things. Ever hear the phrase, "impressionalby young children"? Exactly When I was a child, I was told about the existence of God, and how he made the world and all things in it. I believed that. Whether I actually understood how is immaterial, and to say that it "wouldn't matter" when you introduced your children to God is not true, because by being taught that God was the creator of the universe, I did not believe teachings of evolution, because I unfortunately atteneded a public school in my elementary years and was taught that evolution was how the universe was created. So, the fact that I had been introduced to God did matter, for if I'm being taught something at a young age, I'm going to believe it. Children will believe anything. Why not have them believe in the real God over the fictional Santa?  

hot_wheels_turbo_racing

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:55 pm
Mm ... you have a point. But until they're a certain age, God isn't going to be real to them. They'll believe, but it'll just be out of "well, Mommy and Daddy say it's true, so it must be." The decision for Christ will have to come at a much later time, when they actually know what they're getting into.  
Debate and Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff