Conscripts! :D Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Atheist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:29 pm
Razor9995
I don't know if this has been said before, but that third language looks like the writing you'd see on "The One Ring" in LOTR. Or Legendary Frog mrgreen

That's cuz I used the font from the ring. surprised  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:48 pm
The Atheist
Razor9995
I don't know if this has been said before, but that third language looks like the writing you'd see on "The One Ring" in LOTR. Or Legendary Frog mrgreen

Cheater!  

Master Razor

The Atheist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:52 am
Razor9995
The Atheist
Razor9995

Cheater!

Do you know how hard it is to make a font? surprised  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:29 am
The Atheist
Razor9995
The Atheist
Razor9995

Cheater!

surprisingly easy, if you have a clean enough pen writing sample, photoshop, and a font creator. biggrin
Took me about an hour to make Kintarasesa font. Admittedly, it's turned glitchy on the accents, which USED to work--it would put the apostrophe over the previous letter; now it won't sad  

Forgedawn
Vice Captain

Vajra B. Hairava

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:28 pm
Too much work for me. I'd rather just write it out and scan it into the 'puter.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:19 pm
Vajra B. Hairava

Yeah, but if you need to use your writing often or have a LOT of samples you need to use... It's a lot more efficient to make the font and just type it out. You also get a much cleaner and professional looking result -- unless you have perfect handwriting. o_o

That, and some of us may not have access to a scanner all the time, or ever, so having a font may be the only favorable option. I like having my Anzer Pex font on my laptop for when I want to do some conlang work but have no scanner or even a decent digital camera handy.  

Xeigrich
Vice Captain

The Atheist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:44 pm
Forgedawn
The Atheist
Razor9995
The Atheist
Razor9995

Cheater!

surprisingly easy, if you have a clean enough pen writing sample, photoshop, and a font creator. biggrin
Took me about an hour to make Kintarasesa font. Admittedly, it's turned glitchy on the accents, which USED to work--it would put the apostrophe over the previous letter; now it won't sad

I need a good font creator.
I have the other things.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:03 pm
Do you know how badly I want a font for one of my scripts? Really bad.  

Serali88

150 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Vajra B. Hairava

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:24 pm
Xeigrich
Vajra B. Hairava

Yeah, but if you need to use your writing often or have a LOT of samples you need to use... It's a lot more efficient to make the font and just type it out. You also get a much cleaner and professional looking result -- unless you have perfect handwriting. o_o

That, and some of us may not have access to a scanner all the time, or ever, so having a font may be the only favorable option. I like having my Anzer Pex font on my laptop for when I want to do some conlang work but have no scanner or even a decent digital camera handy.

Well, do what you can with what you have. At least writing it out all the time is good practice for me. And I get more reason to use my fancy calligraphy pen!  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:56 am
Serali88
Do you know how badly I want a font for one of my scripts? Really bad.

Let me see the script~

If it's not too complex, I may be able to help you with that. I'm already planning to do a little font work over the next couple of days anyway, so I might be able to slip your script in and get you a decent font.

Vajra B. Hairava
Well, do what you can with what you have. At least writing it out all the time is good practice for me. And I get more reason to use my fancy calligraphy pen!

I've been thinking about getting one of those fancy nib pens, but I don't do a lot of writing, and even my scripts are mostly done on the computer. It would be nice, though. 3nodding  

Xeigrich
Vice Captain

Vajra B. Hairava

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:09 pm
You should! Its so much more satisfying than a pencil. And nothing will make you look more scholarly/nerdy. Sknordy, you could say. The problem is finding a good one. I had to go to England to get a hold of one. Nowadays, they just have those felt markers, or ink cartridge things. Gotta go with the old school.

And font making, how hard its it for you to do? I don't have any of the stuff needed to do it, but I would pay you somehow to make one for me.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:08 pm
Vajra B. Hairava
You should! Its so much more satisfying than a pencil. And nothing will make you look more scholarly/nerdy. Sknordy, you could say. The problem is finding a good one. I had to go to England to get a hold of one. Nowadays, they just have those felt markers, or ink cartridge things. Gotta go with the old school.

And font making, how hard its it for you to do? I don't have any of the stuff needed to do it, but I would pay you somehow to make one for me.

England? I don't know how big of a trip that was for you, but I have a hard time just leaving Texas. I'd be happy with a cheap nib pen or even just a plain fountain pen.

For me, font making isn't that hard, but then again I'm already familiar with my own scripts and I'm not that picky about font quality -- as long as I have a working font that delivers decent looking printed glyphs, I'm happy.

If you just want a basic working font, no frills or serifs or anything fancy, I can probably get you one in a matter of hours with no need for reimbursement/payment. However, if you want something fancier, such as a Hindi or Arabic looking calligraphic-style font (which seems likely)... Well, that may be beyond my current abilities, but I'd love to try. xd If you liked the font and wanted to "donate" some Gaia gold for my quest in return, that'd be acceptable, hehehe~

Hm. I think I may wander over to Target and get one of those cheap-o $5 fountain pens with the replaceable ink cartridges. If I like it and get used to it, I may find a nib pen, possibly a nice one off eBay or something.  

Xeigrich
Vice Captain

Vajra B. Hairava

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:33 pm
I'm sure you can get a hold of them in this country. I just happened to be in England and ran across a really nice old one. Try out the cheapo version, and if you like that, the real thing should be even better. Anything you write will look official and archaic!

I have no need for anything fancy. I have my own phonetic conscript I use for writing English instead of the traditional way, which works better in every way in my opinion. The letter shapes are simple and minimalistic by nature, since it is meant to be a simpler alternative to this clunky alphabet, and I don't think it would be much trouble at all to do. If I could have a font for it so that I would be able to type it on the computer, that would be really nice. And I'd be glad to make a donation to your cause in return.

Edit: Heres an example of it I posted in the FLG awhile back.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Does that look manageable? Just squiggly lines and a few dots, nothing special.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:23 pm
Xeigrich
If you just want a basic working font, no frills or serifs or anything fancy, I can probably get you one in a matter of hours with no need for reimbursement/payment. However, if you want something fancier, such as a Hindi or Arabic looking calligraphic-style font (which seems likely)... Well, that may be beyond my current abilities, but I'd love to try. xd If you liked the font and wanted to "donate" some Gaia gold for my quest in return, that'd be acceptable, hehehe~

I'll give you 10k for a nice font set. O___________________O
.........once I finish Serulian.
I gotta think of characters for "zh" and "ch."
And maybe edit more.

I'll be able to provide very nice and big photoshop templates.
I just need it to be in TTF so I can actually USE it.  

The Atheist

Xeigrich
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:10 pm
eek

Looks like I'm in business. cool But before anything is decided for sure, I need to point out the following limitations to the way I make fonts...

I can only map the conscript glyphs to the following keys, assuming you're using an English operating system with a working Shift key. This allows use of 46 * 2 = 92 individual symbols. If you want the digits 1 through 0 included in the font, that leaves 82 slots free. If you need punctuation or accent marks, that also takes away from the total possible count. If you have uppercase and lowercase, this also cuts the number of slots in half (for actual letter symbols).

Of course, I can make a font with hundreds of individual glyphs, but there will only be 92 symbols available straight from the keyboard. To access any extra symbols, you will have to use "insert symbol" options in a word processor or some other text editor. The only other possible problem is something that is inevitable any time you use a foreign font or script from an English (or whatever) keyboard: the keys won't always match up. I always choose a layout that is the most logical or obvious. I either choose the key that is most closely related to the actual glyph (by phoneme, not shape), or I just have them go in order (as I would do for a syllabary font or such).

The keyboard direct keys:

`1234567890-=
~!@#$%^&*()_+
qwertyuiop[]
QWERTYUIOP{}|
asdfghjkl;'
ASDFGHJKL:"
zxcvbnm,./
ZXCVBNM<>?

This is usually plenty of space, since a lot of conscripts don't have a lot of punctuation needs like brackets, bars, ampersands, etc.

As for source materials, I'd prefer if it came in some kind of chart form, big and clear so I know whats what, but I can work with just about any stuff. I don't have Photoshop myself (I use a free alternative), so unless I can open photoshop templates in IrfanView or PaintDotNet, they might not be of much use to me.

As for the actual font-making process, I usually do it by hand with my mouse (or my girlfriend's tablet, but I don't really like it), then I tweak each individual glyph until it looks right at about 14pt size in samples. It takes a LOT of work to get a decent looking font at sizes smaller than 14 as you start having lines only a pixel or so thick... And I currently can't figure out how to do that.

Oh, and I only make TTF fonts, but I think I could make an OTF or whatever else there is with the font program I use.

Here is the alpha version of my Anzer Pex font: Download Link
I consider that a "basic" font according to my script for Anzer Pex.  
Conscripts & Orthographies

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff