Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Saying the word "fa**ot" Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Yuki_no_Joo

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 2:07 pm
Hugel
And a 'f**' is something you put in between your lips and light it, and laugh about second hand smoke.

Funny how words like f*****t and gay have so many meanings and changed over the years.

It is true how words can mean different things as times change. In the Elizabethan era a 'f*****t' was a bundle of sticks, usually used to burn witches.
The more you know. Cause knowledge is power!  
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:40 am
Yuki_no_Joo
Hugel
And a 'f**' is something you put in between your lips and light it, and laugh about second hand smoke.

Funny how words like f*****t and gay have so many meanings and changed over the years.

It is true how words can mean different things as times change. In the Elizabethan era a 'f*****t' was a bundle of sticks, usually used to burn witches.
The more you know. Cause knowledge is power!
Yep, and "Gay" went through several changes from:

arrow A very happy and jolly person. (Like in the Christmas song)
arrow Before the 1800's (I think) They were used to show off people who were unrestricted in their sexual activities-primarily for the heterosexual.
+"Gay man" was a man was a womanizer or a man whore (....sorry if that offended I sat for about 3 minutes and couldn't think of a better term)

+"Gay woman" was a prostitute

+"Gay House" was a brothel.

(I think Batman and Robin fall somewhere between these two, I might be wrong)

arrow later went to those who were still carefree and unrestricted in their sexual activity but encompassed more than just the opposite sex.

arrow To now, where is use is either a derogatory term or a labeling term for a group of people.

The mean went from something so very happy and nice to something so ...widely argued over.

Isn't Etymology is fun?  

Hugel

Hugel

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:47 am
Lord Tai
I'm ashamed to admit this, but as much as I like to think I'm making good progress on accepting gay people, I still use the words "gay", "f**", and "f*****t" negatively, usually when I'm gaming. I don't actually think about it when I do it either, which makes it really hard to come to terms with. I don't imagine gay people when I say these things, I just say something foul when I feel cheated.

I once saw a movie with Adam Sandler in it, the name of which I can't remember, where he took his black friend to the movies and ordered tickets for "One adult, one f*****t". When his friend objected to this, he said that he shouldn't care, since he knew what he was and so to him it was just a funny word. I'm not sure how anyone else feels about this, but in my opinion it would be great if it got to being just a funny sounding word.

Though many people would say that you should drop the words and find better terms to use, but in your sense the words are being used to describe a person or event that is of great annoyance to you.

I would love for the two words to go back to something of happier and more carefree usage. Maybe it'll take a few more Adam Sandler movies to change that? :I  
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:37 am
I've only been offended once but the word.
"Are you a f*****t?"
"WTF."
-insert long rant about the true definition of the word here-

It only happened once and only once. Seems that I told that girl off good. xd

I do use it sometimes. But only jokingly about myself.

caleighxo

5,900 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Invisibility 100

Dusty-Boy

Dangerous Autobiographer

2,450 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:52 am
i call people f*****t when I'm telling them off, regardless of sexuality. I think it's a good ol' offensive word  
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:04 pm
wiccan_sk8er

Okay, so most african-american people think that only they are allowed to call each other the N word,

You probably didn't mean this- but that came across as really privileged and bordering on racist. In the Black community- the use of identifiers like Black, African American and even slurs like ****** are really complicated- just like in the LGBT community.

I think when we talk about words like this- there are 2 things to think about. The first is Neurolinguistics- the mind links words and concepts in complicated ways and intention doesn't register in the brain the same way. Calling me a ******- even by Black friends, is triggering because of personal experiences and overall history of Black Culture in the US. Same with calling me any other names that are tied to my sexual identity or gender identity.

The second thing to think about are the internal social politics- cultures develop social expectations that can benefit or harm themselves when it comes to the whole Neurolinguistic stuff I mentioned- but in the end, the culture should have the right to self-identify as they want without outsiders marginalizing them further- no matter what group it is.

Do I let my friends call my slurs? No. It's more detrimental than beneficial and it leads to further marginalization- but I'm not going to tell any member of another group they can't use their own slur for themselves if they want to.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

kittycross

Shameless Phantom

11,900 Points
  • Cheerleader 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:34 pm
I'm not comfortable with the word, even used for cigarettes- even though that British slang is the most correct use of the word
Calling people human kindling for tortuous religiously persecution and execution is wrong in so many ways. I don't think that "f*****t" can be 'taken back' any more than "******" and they remain words of hurtful persecution even though minorities within the groupings choose to brand themselves with these words.
I also don't use "queer" for homosexual because there is nothing strange about homosexuality.
I used to have a children's book called "Something Queer is Going on" about two children solving a mystery from the queer clues around their house such as muddy foot prints  
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:30 pm
kittycross
I'm not comfortable with the word, even used for cigarettes- even though that British slang is the most correct use of the word
Calling people human kindling for tortuous religiously persecution and execution is wrong in so many ways. I don't think that "f*****t" can be 'taken back' any more than "n****r" and they remain words of hurtful persecution even though minorities within the groupings choose to brand themselves with these words.
I also don't use "queer" for homosexual because there is nothing strange about homosexuality.
I used to have a children's book called "Something Queer is Going on" about two children solving a mystery from the queer clues around their house such as muddy foot prints

haha omg i remember that book!! ^_^  

wiccan_sk8er

Dapper Businessman

8,550 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Contributor 150
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash