Welcome to Gaia! ::

Something Magical

Back to Guilds

This is a place where pagans, witches, and others who wish to know can come to learn from each other, and grow! 

Tags: Wicca, Pagan, Magic, Witchcraft, New Generation 

Reply *~General Discussion and Debate~*
What Wicca REALLY is... (~Info Dump, Please Read~) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mistress Ravenwing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:25 pm
Ah, okay, Cunningham, I apologize.

But what makes you say that he isn't Wiccan?  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:34 pm
Mistress Ravenwing
But what makes you say that he isn't Wiccan?

Cunningham was a Seeker of Wicca at some point and I do believe was initiated into the first degree of Wicca. However, he never made it beyond the Outer Court and left Wicca shortly after. His books are a mix of Outer Court Wicca and Eclectic Neo-Paganism. He calls his books things like "Wicca for the Solitary Practitioner" and "Living Wicca" because the WORD "wicca" sounds far more appealing than "eclectic neo-paganism" (its also shorter which adds to its appeal) and is more likely to sell books. However, what he writes about is not Wicca, neither is he himself Wiccan.

His tradition of paganism is called the Standing Stone tradition and is a very fine path of Eclectic Neo-Paganism. There's nothing wrong with it. However, it is not Wicca and that fact that he refuses to change the titles of his books from "Wicca" to "Standing Stone" is what gives rise to the misconception of what real Wicca is and all the conflicts born from it.

Renkon Root
Crew

Versatile Receiver

17,575 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Married 100

ncsweet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:07 pm
Mistress Moxy
Well I can't,because most websites about Wicca are bullshit.But I've gotten even more responces,and they are all REAL Wiccans,that have been a part of that religion for years.I'm sure they know what they're talking about.

Unless they have provided lineage and/or you've obtained a "vouch" for them - you really have no way of knowing if they are actually Wiccan or not. Many people have been misinformed and have been practicing (for years) what they call "Wicca", but is in fact not actually Wicca. So without a vouch, any information you may be getting from these other sources, may or may not be accurate.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:19 pm
I don't understand why you have to cling to the title 'Wiccan' in the first place.
It's not like there's something wrong with your practice, just because it has a different name than what you originally thought. Calling it another word doesn't make it any less legitimate of a path.

Little Batwing
Crew

*~General Discussion and Debate~*

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas