100%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 18

divineseraph

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:14 am
genbounty
Crimson Raccoon
Dark Angel Rai
Me thinks you are confused. Allah means God in Arabic. neutral

Ok..... so? Who said anything about Allah? I never said Allah, I said God, because I know that's what it means.... =P

Dark Angel Rai
And what do the Jews think neh? neutral

The Jews made up an extremely significant portion of the early Christians. Christ intended his message to go to them first, and then spread outward to the entire world through them. That was his purpose for taking the Jews as his chosen people in Old Testament times. Thousands of Jews did recognize Christ as their God, and they did not consider their beliefs to be a new religion, but the true meaning of Judaism. And that's what it is, really, according to the Bible.

The Jews that rejected Christ also rejected God, and it shows that they were never truly following God and the Bible in the first place. The Old Testament is filled with prophecies about the Messiah who would come, and Jesus fulfilled them; if someone doesn't believe in Christ, then they also don't really believe in those parts of the Old Testament either. Just like today there are many people who call themselves "Christians" and don't really practice their beliefs according to the Bible, in the same way back then there were Jews who didn't have the right idea about God. The ones who did have the right belief knew that Christ was God. He had thousands of followers among the Jews.

But the ones who didn't accept him, particularly the Pharisees and their followers whom Jesus had many words of criticism for, these are the ones who continued the religion of Judaism without Christ. Since then, the religion has changed quite a bit, with new writings such as the Talmud becoming their guide of how to live. It's a different religion than Christianity, and like Muslims, they have many very different ideas of who God is. Judaism, Islam, and Christianity all worship a monotheistic God, but it is not the same monotheistic God. The more you study how different each religions' view of God is, the more clear that becomes.

The Bible says, "No one who denies the Son has the Father. Whoever confesses the Son has the Father also." It teaches that anyone who does not believe in Jesus also does not believe in the true God; you can't separate them. This was written by a Jew, as was the vast majority of the New Testament. Jews who do not accept Jesus are not worshiping the same God, according to the Bible. And Jews, like Muslims, believe that Christians are blasphemous for worshiping Christ. That is why the Jews killed Christ, after all; because they claimed he was blasphemous.

I agree completely with what you say. It sortof annoys me when people say, 'you all worship the same God', or 'All religions are really the same thing." and basically anything like that. I definately do not worship the God the Muslims believe, or the Jews, or any religion other than Christianity. Its like saying all religions that had polytheistic beliefs really believed in the same gods. Just because we have a monotheistic belief, doesn't mean we all believe in the same God.

Yes, you do worship the same God. In a different way.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:39 pm
`apple dumpling
Crimson Raccoon
`apple dumpling
OneWithDunamis
But isn't that like someone saying to the owner of a house "I don't know you, nor do I care much about you, but you should let me into your house"?

But aren't we all God's children and didn't Jesus die for all of us? Regardless of is we accept it our not?

Besides, most religions are worshipping the same God, just in a different way or with a different understanding of him.

Jesus didn't die for everyone. His sacrifice is enough to save everyone, but it is only applied to those who accept him as their savior.

We are all God's children in the sense that he created all of us; but since then, we have disowned him. Some are essentially the children of the devil.

Not all religions worship the same God; in fact every religion worships a different God than Christianity. Christ said that he is the only way to God; so if any other religion claims to be worshiping the same God, their worship and prayers fail and never reach him. But no religion really tries to worship the same God anyway; just because it may be a monotheistic God, doesn't mean they're all the same. Some are false and one is real.

So even though we share some of the same scripture with Jews we're worshiping a different God than them? And even though Muslims recognized Christians as "children of the book" and share many of our Biblical stories, they're worshiping a different God too?

Fun fact of information: at the end of the world, Christians, Jews, and Muslims are all expecting to see Jesus come to earth. Jew are expecting him for the first time, Christians and expecting him along with the rapture, and the Muslims are expecting him along with the final Caliph during their end times.

And you also realize their were slews of people claiming to be the Messiah in Jesus' time, right? They taught, healed, etc. Jesus criticism of the Pharisees was not so much that they were entirely wrong, but he dislikes their focus on laws, as following laws alone does not make you a righteous purpose. Jesus even had positive interactions with many members of the Jewish clergy, such a Jairus in Mark.

I'm less unsure about God's acceptance of other religions, but even then I'm sure he doesn't exclude them entirely. Most other world religions are either monotheistic or nontheistic (which is different than atheistic). Hinduism believes in one ultimate God who is expressed in many facets and would argue Jesus was simply another facet of the ultimate God Brahman. Sihkism rejects all religions and argues we should simply worship God. Buddhism does not worship the Buddha, and believes that focusing on a God we cannot understand does little good for us. Instead they focus on reaching enlightenment and being a good person.

Regardless, most world religions describe God in the exact same ways the Bible does- loving, just, powerful, infinite, all knowing, etc. Just because they have a different understanding of him or call him something different, doesn't mean he's any different. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet, to quote Shakespeare. Besides, the view of God in the Christian faith has differed depending on culture, time period, and denomination.

And I believe that Jesus did in fact die for everyone, regardless of if they acknowledge it or not. Other religions pray to God for forgiveness as well. I simply cannot believe a loving God is so black and white as to exclude a good person who spent their life worshiping him, serving him, and being a good person would damn to hell simply because they don't meet the narrow confines of Christianity.

Hey apple dumpling. I'm enjoying having this discussion with you. This is a good topic to talk about it.

I don't know if you read my other two posts here about it; you quoted the first one in your post, but I just want to point out my two after it, because they explain more what I mean about what I said.

I do want to mention that what you said about all three monotheistic religions expecting Jesus, isn't true. The Jews are not expecting Jesus to ever come again. They are expecting their Messiah to come, and they do not believe that it was, is, or ever will be Jesus. They believe it will be someone completely different.

What the Jews expect from their Messiah, as I understand it, is a man who will become their King and rule over them on this Earth. They expect him to be a physical ruler who will re-establish their nation, freeing their people from all oppression, and bring peace. I haven't studied modern Judaism extensively, so I may not have all the details, but I do believe this is the general idea.

I think the Muslims do expect Jesus to come at the end of the world; I haven't done research on that so I don't know it for sure, but I have heard that before so I will take your word for it. The Muslims, then, expect him to come at the end of the world, because they view him as a prophet. But they view him as an ordinary prophet, and he will not have a special place in the end times. He will just come along with all the other prophets. So his coming really is not a big deal with them, and they don't expect him to do anything special.

These beliefs, of the Jews and Muslims, are obviously dramatically different than the Christian belief. Christians believe Jesus is God. Just because another religion may believe something about someone coming again or for the first time, doesn't mean those religions really have much common ground there. The most significant beliefs about Jesus are completely different for each religion.

Concerning Jesus' interaction with the Pharisees and other Jews of his time, you are right that Jesus did not criticize the Pharisees as being entirely wrong in everything, and that Jesus did have positive interactions with some Jewish officials, such as Jairus. But, Jairus came to Jesus and fell at his feet and put his faith in him. The Pharisees, and the non-Christian Jews of today, have not.

Jesus didn't criticize everything the Pharisees had ever said, but what he did criticize them for was extremely significant. They were Jews, they believed in God, they read the Scriptures, they went to worship him. And yet, Jesus said they did not know God, and that God did not accept their worship. This should be enough to convince Christians that just because another religion believes in a monotheistic God, even with the same name as our God, and follows some of the same scriptures, that doesn't mean that they are truly worshiping the same God. Christ made it clear to them that they were not worshiping the true God.

Jesus addresses this issue directly in John chapter 8. The Pharisees said to Jesus, "We have one Father—even God.” They were saying what some of the people in this thread are saying - that we all worship the same God. But Jesus disagrees with them. Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and I am here. I came not of my own accord, but he sent me. Why do you not understand what I say? It is because you cannot bear to hear my word. You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father's desires... Whoever is of God hears the words of God. The reason why you do not hear them is that you are not of God.” Some people may believe that all monotheistic religions worship the same God, but Jesus disagrees with them, with strong words. If they were worshiping the true God, they would be following Jesus. If they do not follow Jesus, then they are worshiping a false God - Jesus says their God, their father, is the devil.

It's true that most major religions describe God in similar ways to how the Bible describes him. Going so far as to say "the exact same ways" isn't really fair, but saying their descriptions have some similarities is fair. But, they also have significant differences. For example, Muslims do not at all believe in a "personal" God, meaning that they don't believe you can have a personal relationship with God. They view that idea as an insult to God. So that's one aspect of their God which is dramatically different from the Christian God. Christianity emphasizes having a personal relationship and actually teaches that it's necessary for salvation.

Even though the idea of God in several of the major religions share some similarities, each of these religions all teach a different way of how to know God, and a different way of salvation. But Jesus said, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." Even though there are religions that teach other ways to get to God, they are false teachings about a false God; because the only way to get to the true God is through Jesus.

John 10 contains the famous speech where Christ compares himself to a shepherd. He says, "Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep." and "He who does not enter the sheepfold by the door but climbs in by another way, that man is a thief and a robber." Anyone who teaches that there is another way to God "is a thief and a robber." "I am the door. If anyone enters by me, he will be saved and will go in and out and find pasture. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly. I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep."

Christian beliefs have differed in different times and places and denominations, but these have all only been in details, and diversity is a healthy thing. We are all united in belief of who God is, how to know him, who Christ is, and how we can be saved. Christians everywhere have always believed in Jesus Christ; his life, death, and resurrection; that he is from God and he is the only way of salvation. Every Christian can say Amen to that; but no other religion does.

People don't go to hell because they don't fit the "narrow confines" of Christianity. As Jesus taught, people go to hell because they are sinners; because of their own actions that they have willingly committed, because of the commandments that they have broken when their God-given consciences told them it was wrong. God has given us a way of salvation, absolutely free: Jesus paid it all.

Did Jesus die for everyone, did his death pay everyone's penalty for sin? Jesus came to warn about the punishment for sin: he spoke about hell soberly and frequently. He also came to tell us all the way of salvation: faith in him. If he died for everyone, then he wouldn't have any reason to speak about either of those things, hell or faith, because no one would go to hell and no one would need to have faith in Christ to be saved.

Christ himself explains it the most eloquently: “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God. And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil. For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his works should be exposed. But whoever does what is true comes to the light, so that it may be clearly seen that his works have been carried out in God.”  

Crimson Raccoon

Neferet -House of Night-

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:06 am
Crimson Raccoon
`apple dumpling
Crimson Raccoon
`apple dumpling
OneWithDunamis
But isn't that like someone saying to the owner of a house "I don't know you, nor do I care much about you, but you should let me into your house"?

But aren't we all God's children and didn't Jesus die for all of us? Regardless of is we accept it our not?

Besides, most religions are worshipping the same God, just in a different way or with a different understanding of him.

Jesus didn't die for everyone. His sacrifice is enough to save everyone, but it is only applied to those who accept him as their savior.

We are all God's children in the sense that he created all of us; but since then, we have disowned him. Some are essentially the children of the devil.

Not all religions worship the same God; in fact every religion worships a different God than Christianity. Christ said that he is the only way to God; so if any other religion claims to be worshiping the same God, their worship and prayers fail and never reach him. But no religion really tries to worship the same God anyway; just because it may be a monotheistic God, doesn't mean they're all the same. Some are false and one is real.

So even though we share some of the same scripture with Jews we're worshiping a different God than them? And even though Muslims recognized Christians as "children of the book" and share many of our Biblical stories, they're worshiping a different God too?

Fun fact of information: at the end of the world, Christians, Jews, and Muslims are all expecting to see Jesus come to earth. Jew are expecting him for the first time, Christians and expecting him along with the rapture, and the Muslims are expecting him along with the final Caliph during their end times.

And you also realize their were slews of people claiming to be the Messiah in Jesus' time, right? They taught, healed, etc. Jesus criticism of the Pharisees was not so much that they were entirely wrong, but he dislikes their focus on laws, as following laws alone does not make you a righteous purpose. Jesus even had positive interactions with many members of the Jewish clergy, such a Jairus in Mark.

I'm less unsure about God's acceptance of other religions, but even then I'm sure he doesn't exclude them entirely. Most other world religions are either monotheistic or nontheistic (which is different than atheistic). Hinduism believes in one ultimate God who is expressed in many facets and would argue Jesus was simply another facet of the ultimate God Brahman. Sihkism rejects all religions and argues we should simply worship God. Buddhism does not worship the Buddha, and believes that focusing on a God we cannot understand does little good for us. Instead they focus on reaching enlightenment and being a good person.

Regardless, most world religions describe God in the exact same ways the Bible does- loving, just, powerful, infinite, all knowing, etc. Just because they have a different understanding of him or call him something different, doesn't mean he's any different. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet, to quote Shakespeare. Besides, the view of God in the Christian faith has differed depending on culture, time period, and denomination.

And I believe that Jesus did in fact die for everyone, regardless of if they acknowledge it or not. Other religions pray to God for forgiveness as well. I simply cannot believe a loving God is so black and white as to exclude a good person who spent their life worshiping him, serving him, and being a good person would damn to hell simply because they don't meet the narrow confines of Christianity.

Hey apple dumpling. I'm enjoying having this discussion with you. This is a good topic to talk about it.

I don't know if you read my other two posts here about it; you quoted the first one in your post, but I just want to point out my two after it, because they explain more what I mean about what I said.

I do want to mention that what you said about all three monotheistic religions expecting Jesus, isn't true. The Jews are not expecting Jesus to ever come again. They are expecting their Messiah to come, and they do not believe that it was, is, or ever will be Jesus. They believe it will be someone completely different.

What the Jews expect from their Messiah, as I understand it, is a man who will become their King and rule over them on this Earth. They expect him to be a physical ruler who will re-establish their nation, freeing their people from all oppression, and bring peace. I haven't studied modern Judaism extensively, so I may not have all the details, but I do believe this is the general idea.

I think the Muslims do expect Jesus to come at the end of the world; I haven't done research on that so I don't know it for sure, but I have heard that before so I will take your word for it. The Muslims, then, expect him to come at the end of the world, because they view him as a prophet. But they view him as an ordinary prophet, and he will not have a special place in the end times. He will just come along with all the other prophets. So his coming really is not a big deal with them, and they don't expect him to do anything special.

These beliefs, of the Jews and Muslims, are obviously dramatically different than the Christian belief. Christians believe Jesus is God. Just because another religion may believe something about someone coming again or for the first time, doesn't mean those religions really have much common ground there. The most significant beliefs about Jesus are completely different for each religion.

Concerning Jesus' interaction with the Pharisees and other Jews of his time, you are right that Jesus did not criticize the Pharisees as being entirely wrong in everything, and that Jesus did have positive interactions with some Jewish officials, such as Jairus. But, Jairus came to Jesus and fell at his feet and put his faith in him. The Pharisees, and the non-Christian Jews of today, have not.

Jesus didn't criticize everything the Pharisees had ever said, but what he did criticize them for was extremely significant. They were Jews, they believed in God, they read the Scriptures, they went to worship him. And yet, Jesus said they did not know God, and that God did not accept their worship. This should be enough to convince Christians that just because another religion believes in a monotheistic God, even with the same name as our God, and follows some of the same scriptures, that doesn't mean that they are truly worshiping the same God. Christ made it clear to them that they were not worshiping the true God.

Jesus addresses this issue directly in John chapter 8. The Pharisees said to Jesus, "We have one Father—even God.” They were saying what some of the people in this thread are saying - that we all worship the same God. But Jesus disagrees with them. Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and I am here. I came not of my own accord, but he sent me. Why do you not understand what I say? It is because you cannot bear to hear my word. You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father's desires... Whoever is of God hears the words of God. The reason why you do not hear them is that you are not of God.” Some people may believe that all monotheistic religions worship the same God, but Jesus disagrees with them, with strong words. If they were worshiping the true God, they would be following Jesus. If they do not follow Jesus, then they are worshiping a false God - Jesus says their God, their father, is the devil.

It's true that most major religions describe God in similar ways to how the Bible describes him. Going so far as to say "the exact same ways" isn't really fair, but saying their descriptions have some similarities is fair. But, they also have significant differences. For example, Muslims do not at all believe in a "personal" God, meaning that they don't believe you can have a personal relationship with God. They view that idea as an insult to God. So that's one aspect of their God which is dramatically different from the Christian God. Christianity emphasizes having a personal relationship and actually teaches that it's necessary for salvation.

Even though the idea of God in several of the major religions share some similarities, each of these religions all teach a different way of how to know God, and a different way of salvation. But Jesus said, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." Even though there are religions that teach other ways to get to God, they are false teachings about a false God; because the only way to get to the true God is through Jesus.

John 10 contains the famous speech where Christ compares himself to a shepherd. He says, "Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep." and "He who does not enter the sheepfold by the door but climbs in by another way, that man is a thief and a robber." Anyone who teaches that there is another way to God "is a thief and a robber." "I am the door. If anyone enters by me, he will be saved and will go in and out and find pasture. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly. I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep."

Christian beliefs have differed in different times and places and denominations, but these have all only been in details, and diversity is a healthy thing. We are all united in belief of who God is, how to know him, who Christ is, and how we can be saved. Christians everywhere have always believed in Jesus Christ; his life, death, and resurrection; that he is from God and he is the only way of salvation. Every Christian can say Amen to that; but no other religion does.

People don't go to hell because they don't fit the "narrow confines" of Christianity. As Jesus taught, people go to hell because they are sinners; because of their own actions that they have willingly committed, because of the commandments that they have broken when their God-given consciences told them it was wrong. God has given us a way of salvation, absolutely free: Jesus paid it all.

Did Jesus die for everyone, did his death pay everyone's penalty for sin? Jesus came to warn about the punishment for sin: he spoke about hell soberly and frequently. He also came to tell us all the way of salvation: faith in him. If he died for everyone, then he wouldn't have any reason to speak about either of those things, hell or faith, because no one would go to hell and no one would need to have faith in Christ to be saved.

Christ himself explains it the most eloquently: “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God. And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil. For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his works should be exposed. But whoever does what is true comes to the light, so that it may be clearly seen that his works have been carried out in God.”
How do you know? Have you talked to Jews? Or is that something your pastor told you?  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:33 am
Dark Angel Rai
How do you know? Have you talked to Jews? Or is that something your pastor told you?

How do I know what? There's about 14 paragraphs there, what are you asking how I know about?

I don't know of anything I said that would require personally talking to Jews to know... And what difference would it make if I've been taught something by my pastor? If you know something about history, does it not count if your history teacher told you? Should we not count everything we know about math or science if our teachers told it to us? Why should our religious teacher not count? A pastor is someone who has gone to graduate school and earned a master's degree (most high school teachers don't have anything more than that), so I think they are a better source of information than just browsing the internet, which is what most people do to make their arguments about religion. Not that all pastors are perfect, but it's not like they don't count for anything.

But anyway, for what I said, I gave direct support from the Bible to back it up. So, a pastor doesn't need to have anything to do with it - I went to the direct source.  

Crimson Raccoon

Downy Knight

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:14 pm
StrawberryShortCake2009

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet," true. But what that paragraph describes is, "Any other thing by the name rose would smell as sweet." Which is definitely not true. Something that does not act like God (the God who is the father of Christ Jesus, who has a personal relationship with His followers, and has raised the Christ to rule over His kingdom) can be called by the name God, but will not be the same as God.  
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:16 pm
Zahwomen
Is it Christ, or God that gets you into Heaven?

The trinity consists of God, Jesus, and Holy Spirit. The 3 are the same in one. When we pray, we pray to God but ask it in Jesus' name. For example, I would pray, "God, please bless my friend Zahwomen, in Jesus' name." The only way to God is through Christ, so I would have to say Christ. Blessings!  

nelliebug316

genbounty

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:33 pm
Downy Knight
StrawberryShortCake2009

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet," true. But what that paragraph describes is, "Any other thing by the name rose would smell as sweet." Which is definitely not true. Something that does not act like God (the God who is the father of Christ Jesus, who has a personal relationship with His followers, and has raised the Christ to rule over His kingdom) can be called by the name God, but will not be the same as God.

Exactly. How can one say they worship the same God as me if they do not believe that Jesus was His Son and the Messiah, if they believe they can't have a personal relationship with God. If they believe such things about their God, then it isn't the same God... and yeah, there are similarities, but they are not the same. And Divineseraph, I do not worship the same God, it is a completely different God, and not to offend anyone, but the real God.  
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:39 am
genbounty
Downy Knight
StrawberryShortCake2009

Exactly. How can one say they worship the same God as me if they do not believe that Jesus was His Son and the Messiah, if they believe they can't have a personal relationship with God. If they believe such things about their God, then it isn't the same God... and yeah, there are similarities, but they are not the same. And Divineseraph, I do not worship the same God, it is a completely different God, and not to offend anyone, but the real God.
Because your religion came from Judaism. Study history. talk2hand  

Neferet -House of Night-

genbounty

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:12 am
-Saint Rai-
genbounty
Downy Knight
StrawberryShortCake2009

I don't care if it came from Buddhism, Hindu, Judaism or Islam. It doesn't change the God I worship, and the God I worship is not the God of any other religion.  
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:49 pm
genbounty
-Saint Rai-
genbounty
Downy Knight
StrawberryShortCake2009

I don't care if it came from Buddhism, Hindu, Judaism or Islam. It doesn't change the God I worship, and the God I worship is not the God of any other religion.

Except for the ones that it is. Considering the fact that they have the same name, prophets and books.  

divineseraph

Just A Black Cat

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:58 pm
I see it as your not really religious if you can't respect other religions.  
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 3:48 pm
MeXiCaN cOoKiE Football

We're not disrespecting other religions by saying that they worship a different God than we do. For the most part, members of those other religions would agree with us. There is no disrespect.

However, others here are disrespecting us by telling us we worship the same God, when we don't. The vast majority of Christian teachers, for all time, have said we worship a different God. Shouldn't we as Christians be able to determine for ourselves whether we worship the same or a different God as the Muslims and Jews? Who can tell us otherwise, do they own the religion?

-Saint Rai-

divineseraph
Except for the ones that it is. Considering the fact that they have the same name, prophets and books.

I have already explained at length the distinction between the modern Judaism and Christianity that began with Christ's teaching, earlier in this thread. I see it apparently hasn't convinced either of you, so I really would appreciate it if you could respond to what I said with where you disagree or an error that I made. Responding to each other is the only way anyone here, including each of you and myself, can develop their understanding of it all, isn't it?  

Crimson Raccoon

Neferet -House of Night-

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:14 am
Crimson Raccoon
MeXiCaN cOoKiE Football

We're not disrespecting other religions by saying that they worship a different God than we do. For the most part, members of those other religions would agree with us. There is no disrespect.

However, others here are disrespecting us by telling us we worship the same God, when we don't. The vast majority of Christian teachers, for all time, have said we worship a different God. Shouldn't we as Christians be able to determine for ourselves whether we worship the same or a different God as the Muslims and Jews? Who can tell us otherwise, do they own the religion?

-Saint Rai-

divineseraph

I have already explained at length the distinction between the modern Judaism and Christianity that began with Christ's teaching, earlier in this thread. I see it apparently hasn't convinced either of you, so I really would appreciate it if you could respond to what I said with where you disagree or an error that I made. Responding to each other is the only way anyone here, including each of you and myself, can develop their understanding of it all, isn't it?
You fail to realize that we're not talking about "modern" Judaism. Try doing research on the origins of your religion and where the idea of the One God came from instead of listening to your pastor who is biased. biggrin  
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:11 am
-Saint Rai-
Crimson Raccoon
MeXiCaN cOoKiE Football

-Saint Rai-

divineseraph

You fail to realize that we're not talking about "modern" Judaism. Try doing research on the origins of your religion and where the idea of the One God came from instead of listening to your pastor who is biased. biggrin

I have probably done more research on my religion than you have ever done on anything, thanks. Why are you being so rude?

I don't fail to realize that you're not talking about modern Judaism. Actually, people here were talking about modern Judaism. The discussion came up of whether all religions worship the same God, and one person mentioned that Jews believe (present tense) that Jesus is going to return (which is false, as I explained in my response). Obviously, they weren't talking about the Jews thousands of years ago, who hadn't even heard of Jesus yet. divineseraph in his post said, "they have the same name, prophets, and books," using the present tense "have" instead of "had," so he wasn't just talking about thousands of years ago, either.

Maybe you were talking specifically about Judaism from 2,000 and more years ago, but that doesn't mean everyone else has to, and besides, you didn't actually make a point about it. I was talking about modern Judaism, since that's what was related to the discussion, and I was explaining that there is a difference between Judaism before Christ and Judaism after Christ. If you want to bring up an actual point about ancient Judaism instead of just making rude little quips, then please do.

For "the origins of my religion and where the idea of the One God came from," the idea of one God is from Judaism, yes, but that idea is far from the concept that all religions worship the same God. In fact, the one God of the Bible himself specifically says that all other religions worship different gods. He even said some of the Jews were worshiping falsely in his own name. So, that is where the idea of one God came from, and that is the same idea I believe now. Everything the ancient Jews believed, Christians also believe, that's why the complete Old Testament is in our Bible, taking up about 80% of it.

I like discussing with you, you've given good input and have raised good questions. I just don't understand why when you disagree you have to do it in such a belittling way. Everyone here, as far as I have seen, has been respectful to you.  

Crimson Raccoon

Neferet -House of Night-

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:47 pm
Crimson Raccoon
-Saint Rai-
Crimson Raccoon
MeXiCaN cOoKiE Football

-Saint Rai-

divineseraph

I have probably done more research on my religion than you have ever done on anything, thanks. Why are you being so rude?

I don't fail to realize that you're not talking about modern Judaism. Actually, people here were talking about modern Judaism. The discussion came up of whether all religions worship the same God, and one person mentioned that Jews believe (present tense) that Jesus is going to return (which is false, as I explained in my response). Obviously, they weren't talking about the Jews thousands of years ago, who hadn't even heard of Jesus yet. divineseraph in his post said, "they have the same name, prophets, and books," using the present tense "have" instead of "had," so he wasn't just talking about thousands of years ago, either.

Maybe you were talking specifically about Judaism from 2,000 and more years ago, but that doesn't mean everyone else has to, and besides, you didn't actually make a point about it. I was talking about modern Judaism, since that's what was related to the discussion, and I was explaining that there is a difference between Judaism before Christ and Judaism after Christ. If you want to bring up an actual point about ancient Judaism instead of just making rude little quips, then please do.

For "the origins of my religion and where the idea of the One God came from," the idea of one God is from Judaism, yes, but that idea is far from the concept that all religions worship the same God. In fact, the one God of the Bible himself specifically says that all other religions worship different gods. He even said some of the Jews were worshiping falsely in his own name. So, that is where the idea of one God came from, and that is the same idea I believe now. Everything the ancient Jews believed, Christians also believe, that's why the complete Old Testament is in our Bible, taking up about 80% of it.

I like discussing with you, you've given good input and have raised good questions. I just don't understand why when you disagree you have to do it in such a belittling way. Everyone here, as far as I have seen, has been respectful to you.
ummm Christians also believe he's going to come back. So are you saying they are also false?  
*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff