Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
So Ya Wanna... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cunning Witch Angus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:10 am
Sooo I have these systems of magic that I have knowledge of and that I want to expand on a lot. Ceremonial Magic, Chaos Magic, Witchcraft. Which do I pick, really and what makes each of them the system that they are.

For example: What differentiates Ceremonial Magic from Witchcraft? What differentiates Witchcraft from Chaos Magic? What makes Witchcraft, Witchcraft? What makes Ceremonial Magic, Ceremonial Magic, etc.

I have many sources for each of these, rather nice ones at that, some are in the link and resources in this Guild. I just don't know which one I want to really expand upon. If I go with witchcraft I will most likely be spending my time trying to find the Goddess that is Hermaphroditic and is a goat... as is described in a few books on witchcraft that I possess but only one name is mentioned (Bucca) which comes from Cornwall, and I am not of Cornish descent!

Then again I am at a loss as to what makes witchcraft, witchcraft!

I am a befuddled mess...I think I have been doing so many stillness exercises that my brain has come to a standstill! sad

Halp plox?  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:16 am
CilverCyanide
The first thing I'd look for is an already established business.
So in that case, if already not required by the owner, would it make a huge difference between him/her hiring me, or someone else of equal experience?
You'd want to ask the individual businesses what kinds of certifications they expect from you.
The shop I used to work in had potential readers give readings to the owner in order to assess their skills. They didn't care about certifications.

When I started reading professionally out of where I am now, I was coming in almost every day and doing a personal reading. The staff got curious and asked me to read after I explained some of the basics.
Quote:

I'm not familiar with that term, sorry.
Readings "For Entertainment Only", as opposed to a function of a spiritual service you offer as part of a ministry or the like.

Quote:
No. Although I've used other forms of divination in the past, I'm most comfortable with the Tarot. If I was to have my own establishment, I'd most likely hire others who use other types of divination.
So Tarot only, and no other services besides that.

Got it.
What State do you live in?  

TeaDidikai

Cranium Squirrel

Friendly Trickster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:22 am
I'm considering a new hobby, one that'll cement me in a matron position forever, given my previous qualifications of effectively ending up 'mom' to most of my friends, a stint as a library clerk and now a nursing degree.

Bya is thinking of taking up knitting.

Any suggestions on resources for someone who is a complete noob to the concept/practice of knitting? I prefer a source with a sense of humor, if possible - dry teachers just make me want to wander off and do something else.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:36 am
Bastemhet
I didn't know that personal energy imbued in a stone counts as sympathetic magic though.
Didn't say it does.

Quote:
Unless I'm not talking about the same thing that you are.
Likely not. See, you'd have to explore what Sympathy means in regards to magic in general. For example, I know a person who includes mandrake in all her poppets to strengthen "resonance", and posits this is a function of the herb's nature in the same way that people posit stones have a nature and expression and they work from there.  

TeaDidikai

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:40 am
Arcanist Angus
I have many sources for each of these, rather nice ones at that, some are in the link and resources in this Guild. I just don't know which one I want to really expand upon. If I go with witchcraft I will most likely be spending my time trying to find the Goddess that is Hermaphroditic and is a goat... as is described in a few books on witchcraft that I possess but only one name is mentioned (Bucca) which comes from Cornwall, and I am not of Cornish descent!
Are the Conrish a closed tradition?

Quote:
Then again I am at a loss as to what makes witchcraft, witchcraft!
Interested in my personal linguistic approach to this? Or do you want something more general and popular?  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:45 am
TeaDidikai
Are the Conrish a closed tradition?

I do not believe so, no. I have a book on Cornish witchcraft and I ordered another one a few days ago...which will take weeks to arrive from England crying

TeaDidikai
Interested in my personal linguistic approach to this? Or do you want something more general and popular?

I would respect your opinion more than the popular one, I believe.  

Cunning Witch Angus

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:09 am
Byaggha

Any suggestions on resources for someone who is a complete noob to the concept/practice of knitting? I prefer a source with a sense of humor, if possible - dry teachers just make me want to wander off and do something else.

Good Housekeeping has an amazing book on Needle Crafts. It's not very humorous, but it has great pictures, which for me seemed more important.

Also- use cheap standard yarn to start out with and big needles. Big needles means a faster completion which lend to a sense of accomplishment. Cheap yarn means you won't spend as much time worrying about mistakes and tension variances.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:11 am
Arcanist Angus

I do not believe so, no. I have a book on Cornish witchcraft and I ordered another one a few days ago...which will take weeks to arrive from England crying
So why the issue?

Quote:

I would respect your opinion more than the popular one, I believe.
As a habit I limit my description of "witchcraft" to magical traditions that stemmed from amongst the British Isles in regards to spiritual folk practices both ancient and modern that has not been divided up into other modern practices.

To break that down into the Why's,
Magic as a term here is almost meaningless on it's own since what magic is differs vastly even amongst witches.

I limit it to the British Isles because the source of the word stems from there and I hold that the interplay between the different Celts, the Anglos, the Saxons and other peoples is complex enough that unless you are dealing with source texts, it's hard to see where the different cultural attitudes begin and end. Other cultures have their own terms for similar practices and I think part of ensuring the diversity and integrity of other cultures is respecting their language and their right to self identify and I think this should be extended to English speaking traditions as well.

I allow for the fact that elements of folk magic have persisted through the culture, and while this does not make for an unbroken line of uber-witches, it does mean that elements of Victorian magic are just as valid as elements of modern magic and ancient magic and everything in between as long as they are useful to the people applying them.

I distinguish between witchcraft and other modern practices because while a witch is someone who practices witchcraft, other arts and sciences have developed beyond the scope of witchcraft. And I'm grateful for that. I don't want someone who practices witchcraft trying to issue me a prescription just because at one time witches were also herbalists.

Make sense?  

TeaDidikai

Cunning Witch Angus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:19 am
TeaDidikai
So why the issue?

Truthfully I have been trying to a more Scottish avenue, as it were. A lot of it is so similar, the names of things are just different (such as Nicnevin as the Hermaphroditic goddess). I love this because as soon as I write it down I think, well why didn't I just do that the first time.../sigh

TeaDidikai
As a habit I limit my description of "witchcraft" to magical traditions that stemmed from amongst the British Isles in regards to spiritual folk practices both ancient and modern that has not been divided up into other modern practices.

Mmk. I have gleaned this.

TeaDidikai
To break that down into the Why's,
Magic as a term here is almost meaningless on it's own since what magic is differs vastly even amongst witches.

Yes.

TeaDidikai
I limit it to the British Isles because the source of the word stems from there and I hold that the interplay between the different Celts, the Anglos, the Saxons and other peoples is complex enough that unless you are dealing with source texts, it's hard to see where the different cultural attitudes begin and end. Other cultures have their own terms for similar practices and I think part of ensuring the diversity and integrity of other cultures is respecting their language and their right to self identify and I think this should be extended to English speaking traditions as well.

I allow for the fact that elements of folk magic have persisted through the culture, and while this does not make for an unbroken line of uber-witches, it does mean that elements of Victorian magic are just as valid as elements of modern magic and ancient magic and everything in between as long as they are useful to the people applying them.

I distinguish between witchcraft and other modern practices because while a witch is someone who practices witchcraft, other arts and sciences have developed beyond the scope of witchcraft. And I'm grateful for that. I don't want someone who practices witchcraft trying to issue me a prescription just because at one time witches were also herbalists.

Make sense?

Makes perfect sense. So, as a witch, one does not have to just stick with old methods of witchcraft one can be eclectic and pull from modern and ancient sources and everything in between.

An epiphany has been made this day XD I'm so silly sometimes.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:22 am
Arcanist Angus

Truthfully I have been trying to a more Scottish avenue, as it were. A lot of it is so similar, the names of things are just different (such as Nicnevin as the Hermaphroditic goddess). I love this because as soon as I write it down I think, well why didn't I just do that the first time.../sigh
Helps to see it sometimes.

Quote:

Makes perfect sense. So, as a witch, one does not have to just stick with old methods of witchcraft one can be eclectic and pull from modern and ancient sources and everything in between.
Eclectic within a specific bounds as identified earlier- sure.

Quote:
An epiphany has been made this day XD I'm so silly sometimes.
Silly can be fun.  

TeaDidikai

Cunning Witch Angus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:32 am
Excellent, thank you so much Tea!  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:03 pm
Welcome Angus.

Re: Reading Tarot Professionally.

First thing is first. Before you get into reading professionally, since you are coming at this from the perspective of facilitating a spiritual experience, you need to look up your State's laws regarding the protection of your religious rights.

When I did this for myself, I learned a few things. These things are in regard to my locality only and are not general advice, even for people in my area.

Performing these kinds of services for money as part of your spiritual practices need to be clearly stated.

It is possible to become exempt from Federal Income Tax, your place doesn't have a State Income Tax.

You do not have to maintain the exemption in order to perform your services, and in fact obtaining the exemption will often lead to numerous audits.

If you are not part of a distinct religious organization that supports these practices, finding an agreeable one that is in good standing with your locale is a good idea, since if any legal issues arise from your practice, having the organization to attest to your sincerity and practice will help.

Worry less about which associations you are a part of and more about what the Law says you can and cannot do.

Quote:
How much experience, in your opinion, does a person need to look for a job in Tarot reading (At an establishment) I've been reading for about 3 years with lots of experience both online and in person. I'm a bit doubtful that I'll get a job because it's such a short ammount of time.

My experience is that there are "factories" that pump out psychic readers. These outnumber the shops that welcome readers to work for them as independent contractors. The reason is that skilled readers have a sense of what they want to do with their talents. People who take a workshop are easier to guide to fit their needs.

When I researched where I would be reading first, it was the quality of my reading, not the amount of time I have been doing it or any groups I worked with that was important.

If at first you're not accepted by an established business, keep practicing and ask later if you could interview with them again.  

TeaDidikai

CilverCyanide

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:10 pm
Thanks, Tea!!  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:16 pm
Byaggha
I'm considering a new hobby, one that'll cement me in a matron position forever, given my previous qualifications of effectively ending up 'mom' to most of my friends, a stint as a library clerk and now a nursing degree.

Bya is thinking of taking up knitting.

As a knitting-obsessed library clerk, here are my suggestions:

Elizabeth Zimmerman. Her books are hilarious, full of great advice, and the tone is just warm and welcoming and great for beginners. Sassy little old English lady living and teaching out of a brick schoolhouse in Wisconsin. Deceased now, sadly, but her books are still in print and if your local library is any good at all they should either have one or be able to get one for you. Knitting Workshop is a great title, and goes along with a PBS series she had in the...late 70s? early 80s?, and that's available on DVD and it's an absolute hoot. I cannot recommend her enough.

Also great and full of sass are Kay Gardiner and Ann Shayne of Mason-Dixon Knitting which is a book (and a sequel) and also a really funny blog. In addition to having great tips for beginners and a great sort of fly by the seat of your pants attitude to knitting (which they describe as "just picking up needles and making stuff") the pictures in the books are gorgeous and the patterns play with color and texture wonderfully and really encourage you to make surprising, lively things out of simple or unexpected materials.

Both of those sources are great educations in how to become self-sufficient and confident in your craft, relying on your intuition and skills and allowing yourself to invent and diverge from written patterns and not be tied to the pattern or the book, afraid that your work will be "wrong" somehow if you do it differently. You'll own the yarn, the yarn won't own you.

If you want to lose hours and hours of your life in the best possible way, join the knitting masses on Ravelry. It's basically a social network for crafters. Some people only use it as a place to store pictures of their projects and list what they've done, but it real value, IMO, is that there are So. Many. Free. Patterns. You will never need to buy a pattern again. Plus it's full of designers and thousands of other people who've knit the hat with the weird cable bit that's giving you trouble and are glad to help out, and lots of groups devoted to various subjects, from Scary Lace to OMG did you see what happened on Lost this week to Pagan Crafters. ...Although that group is, I must say, not up to the PFRC's standards of intellectual rigor/intimidating and I think full of "wiccans."

On the subject of materials, while Tea's right and you don't want to break the bank on your initial investment (knitting is not cheap, but the thrill of wearing something you've made yourself, or giving something as a gift more than makes up for it), I'm going to add this caveat: Acrylic yarn can be the devil.

If you're limited to craft stores like Michael's or Jo-Ann (which has expanded their needlecraft selection lately), most of the yarn you're going to find will be a synthetic of some sort. It's cheap, it's washable, they can dye it in any number of colors, many of them eye-burningly garish, and...it's cheap. It's also scratchy and made of plastic and will live forever in a landfill when we are all but dust. unless it catches fire, in which case it will melt. You don't want to buy a big skein of cheap acrylic just because you're starting out, improve your skills and move on to better quality materials and then be stuck with a lot of leftover yarn you no longer want anything to do with. I say this from experience.

Your best bet, I'd say, for yarn choice at chain stores would be yarns from Lion Brand. they've been in business a really long time, and while they have a lot of things that are just strange, like eyelash yarn that you can make muppet-hide ponchos with, they also have a decent selection of natural fibers, including wonderful brightly-colored cotton that I've used to make fantastic dishcloths, and a yarn called Wool-Ease. Wool-ease is a wool/acrylic blend that's softer than regular acrylic, mimics the texture of wool better, and is machine washable. It also comes in a variety of weights, so if you get a ball of the chunky weight and some bamboo needles (Clover is the common brand), which are easy to handle for beginners and more responsive than plastic needles, you can whip out a scarf or a hat or a whatever in no time. And you won't be ashamed to wear it when you're done. If you start out with material of a decent quality that feels good to work with, you'll be amazed at how quickly your skills improve to match the quality of the yarn.

..this was going to be a couple of links and my two cents but it turned into a soapbox knitting manifesto. ack! sorry Bya!  

AvalonAuggie

4,050 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:29 pm
ok, i found this really freakin awesome necklace online made with crystals and brass bullet shells, but they cost like $40 and i could make one for like 25 cents...

so, i wanna know... what would be the best adhesive for securing quartz to metal?

would i be able to use hot glue? or would i need and epoxy?  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff