Welcome to Gaia! ::

~The Haven For Harry Potter Fanatics~

Back to Guilds

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Dumbledore's Army, Marauders, Magic 

Reply Main Forum: Haven for Harry Potter Fanatics
Why does everyone seem to hate Hufflepuff. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Isotropes

Magnetic Conversationalist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:11 am
chibi_chan
Well Helga Hufflepuff said that she will teach all that wanted to be thaught and treat them the same.
That. Has people got to that Hufflepuffs are "the rest"
They are mot. Hufflepuffs are loyal, just and hardworking.

And good friends.

Hufflepuff's are probably the best people, or the kindest atleast.

3nodding

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:12 am
I agree. heart  

chibi_chan
Crew

ZackyBakerVengeance

Liberal Entrepreneur

6,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Team Edward 100
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:59 pm
i dont hate them it just sounds so girly.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:48 pm
User Image
I don't think it's that people hate Hufflepuff per say, just that they don't really care about them because they seem to take such a backseat role in the books. Their first real appearance in the books is Justin Finch-Fletchy at the Dueling Club, and then their next appearance is later in the book, when Ernie Macmillan is accusing Harry of being Slytherin's heir because he can talk to snakes. Not exactly something to give people the warm fuzzies. And it doesn't make them seem very friendly, either. Next is Cedric Diggory, who, while not a bad character, is still technically Harry's rival, beating him in Quidditch and then becoming the 'official' Hogwarts champion. He is also supported by Malfoy, which makes him, and, in turn his house, less likable. In book 5, is is Zacharias Smith, another Hufflepuff, who becomes accusing towards Harry at the first meeting of the DA at the Hog's Head. The only truly popular character to come out of Hufflepuff isn't actually a Hufflepuff in the books, but rather a former Hufflepuff (Tonks). Couple this with an insane lack of spotlight on the house during its shining moments, and it became a very understated, under appreciated house.
*cough* Join Dueling Club at the Haven *cough*

ScottieBears MiaKitty

6,250 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Hive Mind 200

Jedi Knight26

7,400 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:21 pm
I agree with ScottieBears that the reason people tend to not like Hufflepuff is because the characters that we see tend to not be all that likeable. Except for Tonks, but not very many people know that she used to be in Hufflepuff, because it's not really talked about. I'm sure that if we saw more of the characters from Hufflepuff besides Ernie, Hannah, Zacharias, and Tonks, people would probably like it more. But it is overall, the most unappreaciated house in the whole series, and I don't know why.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:26 pm
BeeBrittney
chibi_chan
Well Helga Hufflepuff said that she will teach all that wanted to be thaught and treat them the same.
That. Has people got to that Hufflepuffs are "the rest"
They are mot. Hufflepuffs are loyal, just and hardworking.

And good friends.

Hufflepuff's are probably the best people, or the kindest atleast.

3nodding

There's a lovely icon going around that says "Helga Hufflepuff would take the rest...the rest being Metamorphagusi and Hogwarts Champions! We had a House appreciation event a while back and some of the best kicka--icons were Hufflepuff!

LadyHealingHands
Vice Captain

Stanitalene

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:35 am
I have nothing against them really, but maybe it's because they don't have much extraordinary talent, i guess. But I do enjoy kind people.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:08 pm
I value loyalty above all characteristics a person can have.

However, because we see loyal people from ALL of the other houses (Sirius from Gryffindor, Luna from Ravenclaw, Severus from Slytherin, etcetera), it makes having a House strictly for loyal people less impressive. It's like it's for...untalented loyal people. I know that isn't true, but that's how it comes across. Of course, devotion is more important than talent, but when people with both skill and faithfulness can be found in other Houses, why would someone choose to favour Hufflepuff?

I feel sorry for the Puffs; they are not well-represented.

Mia makes a very good point about the best Hufflepuff - Cedric - being Harry's rival. I'd never thought of it that way.

Minerva the Bookwyrm
Crew

ScottieBears MiaKitty

6,250 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Hive Mind 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:52 pm
User Image
Not many people really bother to try and give a reason to why they don't like Hufflepuff, they just know that they don't. But that doesn't mean that their subconscious doesn't recognize the problem. I used to be wishy washy with Hufflepuff, but I didn't know why, so I did some digging and realized how many reasons the book gave to not like them, versus how many reasons you have to like them.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:59 am
I like Hufflepuffs. They're cool smile  

Sunnie_prep

R1ku101

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:41 pm
David FTW
I've been looking at which house people like the least, most say hufflepuff. Why?

Hufflepuff pride. <3

Because Hufflepuff hasnt had that many good students other than Tonks who else is there?  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:06 am
I think Hufflepuff seems like the most decent house; but they aren't all that special.
There's nothing about them that would gain glory and most people want that. sweatdrop

vElvET pUPpet

anupriyabond

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:40 am
but hufflepuff's r cute sort!!! they r all things good!!! blaugh  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:38 pm
anupriyabond
but hufflepuff's r cute sort!!! they r all things good!!! blaugh
Please, oh please, child correct your grammar! You sentence should be "Hufflepuff' are cute. They are all really good people." If that was what you were going for...

And I agree with Scottie's. I tend to favor Gryffindor because I am rash, but I also lean much more to Hufflepuff, because what good is courage, what good is knowledge, and what good is ambition, when you have no one at the end. Our lives are measured not by what objects we make or build, or what deeds we do, or words we say. The true value of a life is found in the strands of friendship woven together by loyalty and love. For when all else is gone we are remembered for how we touched others. For what good is an eroded and broken moment, or actions forgotten or unseen, or words unheard? This is what Hufflepuff was meant for in my opinion.

Gryffindor showed that courage is what makes dreams a reality, Ravenclaw showed that intelligence and wisdom can make the way easy and clear, Slytherin showed to be careful when striving for your goals, and Hufflepuff was meant to show that together the hard can be made easy. In away everyone had these traits. Some were stronger in certain people then others as it is in life, but Hufflepuff was under-rated because they had no lasting character in the book.  

KatieInTheBox

Matelia legwll

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:52 pm
I rather like the Hufflepuff House as an idea separate from the books. I completely agree with Katie's statement about what Hufflepuff was meant for. I admire the Hufflepuffs I have met outside of the books.

Inside the books, it is a different matter. For me, it goes along the same line of reason that Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff are never truly in the running for the House or Quidditch Cups in the books. Or, better, exactly why Wormtail is so hard to like as Peter Pettigrew. Jo just doesn't let you like Hufflepuff easily.

For one, as the others have mentioned, the characters we get introduced to that are Hufflepuffs either die, get seriously wounded, publicly humiliated by a member of a "good" house, or are just plain pompous. Cedric Diggory, Justin Finch-Fletchley, Zacharias Smith, Ernie Macmillan fit into these categories.

Also, we get shorted on the Common Room thing too. Every other house gets Harry inside their Common Room and gets him to describe the surroundings and relate to the characters inside. Hufflepuff doesn't.

Another point no one seems to have mentioned is how hypocritical Hufflepuffs seem to be. They are noted for their loyalty, or fairness, or justness. Yet within the second book, the whole school turns on Harry, including those Hufflepuffs that are supposed to be more fair. And from the scene Harry overheard, it seemed that the Hufflepuffs were spreading most of the rumors during that time. Is it kindness to fuel the rumor mill about a Gryffindor being the heir of Slytherin? That definitely doesn't strike me as fair, or just, or loyal. And then, being proven wrong, they tolerate Harry for a year before turning on him again, just because Harry was rivaling THEIR champion. And yes, the Hufflepuffs attitude as a whole struck me as supporting Hufflepuff's champion, not Hogwarts' champion. That doesn't strike me as fair, loyal, kind, or just.
For this, I don't care how justified they are in those situations. They are hypocrites by going against the values they supposedly exemplify. The qualities that Hufflepuffs are supposed to be known for were never shown in the books by the Hufflepuffs, so that I ended up believing it must have to be the place to put "the lot" that can't be sorted anywhere else.

We get plenty of examples of Gryffindors being brave and daring, Slytherins being ruthless and ambitious, Ravenclaws being smart and wise. Not so much with the Hufflepuffs.

The books are Gryffindor-centered so yes, Gryffindor is the "good" house; Slytherin is the "bad" house; Ravenclaw is the "helpful" house because they are smart; and all Hufflepuffs have going for them is loyalty, fairness, and friendship?
Why do you need an entire house, when you've got House pride and loyal friends in your own house? What, are the Hufflepuffs supposed to tattle on the rest of the Houses because they know what is fair?

Sorry, Hufflepuff seems like a fine house in theory, but the virtues they are supposed to value aren't demonstrated in the books by the characters in Hufflepuff. Plus the virtues are rather flimsily-based since all the Houses demonstrate to some ability those values. Which would you honestly rather be, a pansy or a hypocrite?

Seriously, Tonks is the only character that we know that is likable and endearing from Hufflepuff. And not enough of what we know about her is actually able to be related to the Hogwarts House she hailed from. She could have just as easily been a Ravenclaw and still function entirely in her same character persona.

I guess Susan Bones was alright, too. But she got such a bit part that we don't see much of her character.

And Hagrid repeating the insults against them in the first mention we get of Hufflepuff or any of the Houses did not help out their image. Load of duffers indeed.

Sorry, I just find it really difficult to exert the effort necessary to actually like Hufflepuff inside the context of the books.

Main Forum: Haven for Harry Potter Fanatics

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff