Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
My birthday is on a wiccan holiday? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

is my birthday on a cool day?
  yes
  no
View Results

Ainwyn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:18 pm
I've also read somewhere that the festival of Samhain was at one time celebrated after the first frost and not on any kind of set date at all. But this could have just been a theory, or I'm remembering what I read incorrectly. I'll try to find where I saw this.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:52 pm
Ainwyn
I've also read somewhere that the festival of Samhain was at one time celebrated after the first frost and not on any kind of set date at all. But this could have just been a theory, or I'm remembering what I read incorrectly. I'll try to find where I saw this.

I'm fairly certain I've read that too.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Ainwyn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:21 pm
CuAnnan
Ainwyn

I'm fairly certain I've read that too.

It might have been in the Apple Branch, but I don't remember. I'm going to be rereading it as soon as I'm done with this essay though.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:19 pm
TeaDidikai
Kitsune_Lunami

The celebration of a day and the actual day are two different things however, that's why I said "Samhain is celebrated on the 31st." It's much like Christmas, even though it's widely believed that Yeshua was born in the Summer months.
You misunderstand. Samhain is a very specific holiday based on a lunar date.

Anything else isn't Samhain, but a misnomer.

CuAnnan
Kitsune_Lunami
The celebration of a day and the actual day are two different things however, that's why I said "Samhain is celebrated on the 31st." It's much like Christmas, even though it's widely believed that Yeshua was born in the Summer months.

Is there something in my explanation as to why Samhain is not celebrated on the 31st that you don't understand, disagree with or contest or did you just not read it?

Sorry for all of that. At the time of my posting of this, my mind had been quite tired. Running on 48 hours without sleep will do that. Perhaps it should have been best to have read, but I wasn't actually able at the time to read all of the words spoken.  

Kitsune_Lunami

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:53 pm
For the lazy of us, would it be insulting for us to continue to use Samhain as the name of our holiday, even if we celebrate it on Halloween? And who would it be insulting to..  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:45 am
kage no neko
For the lazy of us, would it be insulting for us to continue to use Samhain as the name of our holiday, even if we celebrate it on Halloween? And who would it be insulting to..

It would be intellectually dishonesty.
It bothers me when Wiccans or eclectic neopagans call their Autumnal celebration Samhain, yes. On general principal if nothing else.
Honestly, I just wish the gall would stop playing with our titles and leave our culture alone.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

brie1212

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:25 pm
That's cool!
My birthday is 12/21. Winter Solstice.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:08 am
brie1212
That's cool!
My birthday is 12/21. Winter Solstice.
Sometimes. Sometimes not.
The solstices and equinoxes don't fall on the same date of the Gregorian Calender each year either.  

TeaDidikai

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces