Reply The Library - - [spells, rituals, blessings tree, etc]
Your Book of Shadows Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

NolaIvory

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:38 am
I put mine in like a regular journal at first...but I'm thinking of moving to a 3-ring, just so I can keep it more organized.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:16 pm
Mine's in a three-ring leather planner thing that my Dad gave me a few years ago. Before that, it was in a black sketchbook.
I love it though. It's got colorful section dividers and such, but it needs more work... >_<  

dfjhskjhf43

Funa Spectrum

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:30 pm
Every single notebook I purchase with the intention of it becoming a BOS becomes a sketchbook.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:08 pm
You might want to try buying a blank bound journal with lined pages. Lines might not be as tempting to sketch over.

On another note, slightly off topic, does anyone know of a simple chant or spell to call your Book of Shadows back to you? Mine has been hiding from me for the past few weeks, partially I think because there's been too much going on for me to have much spare time for anything (including studying), and possibly because my husband might have looked through it for some info and misplaced it on me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  

Ceannara

1,900 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Signature Look 250

Wraith_92

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:53 am
Ceannara
You might want to try buying a blank bound journal with lined pages. Lines might not be as tempting to sketch over.

On another note, slightly off topic, does anyone know of a simple chant or spell to call your Book of Shadows back to you? Mine has been hiding from me for the past few weeks, partially I think because there's been too much going on for me to have much spare time for anything (including studying), and possibly because my husband might have looked through it for some info and misplaced it on me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
An' ye harm none, do what ye will...
look under your bed... (just kidding)

You can sit down and stop looking for it. Meditate on the item. Meditate for hours about it, without interruption, and once you feel you have finished, relieve that feeling of needing of the item... let go... By using this tactic, it will come to you.
~Blessed Be~

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:43 pm
Thank you so much for the suggestion! I'll certainly gove it a go, as soon as I have some time to spare from my kids (two toddlers don't leave me much time for anything lol). I'm just really trying to find it, since my studies are picking up, and I really don't want to have to start over with a new book. I've had a close connection to that BoS since getting it set up was my first task when I started with Wicca.  

Ceannara

1,900 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Signature Look 250

Nymphidora

Supportive Alchemist

11,050 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Party Member 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:43 pm
book of shadows? please tell me that is just the name of your jurnal! that sounds more satanic than wiccan.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:07 pm
Here is a good definition of the term, taken from Glass Temple aat www.glasstemple.com (a good site biggrin )

Book of Shadows - Sometimes abbreviated BoS. This is a collection of rituals, information, research, spells, and other information that is meaningful to the owner. Can contain the individual's magickal journal. Generally a black book or binder. Since an individual's BoS is a collection of their journey through the Craft, it is not generally shown to others.

Another view on why it's called a Book Of Shadow may be found in another quote from Glass Temple:

Wicca is a 'mystery religion', as opposed to a 'revealed religion'. This means that we have no holy books, no prophets, no holy people. There is no-one that can tell us the answers that we seek. There is no book that will explain what we don't understand. We believe that the answers are hidden within ourselves; we must work to search ourselves for our answers. No-one else can do it for us.

So a book of Shadows for a 'Mystery Religion' makes sense, no?

User Image
(This is for the Lammas puzzle. Please don't remove).  

Ceannara

1,900 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Signature Look 250

Ruin Feri

3,450 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:15 pm
I had a question...I've just bought a blank notebook to use as my Book of Shadows. But, I was wondering, does everything in it have to be things that you've written: Like chants, rituals, etc? I mean, I've found some pretty cool spells that I would love to write down. I've also found some information about different Celtic herbs and trees that I would love to keep. But the problem is that I don't know whether a Book of Shadows is ONLY supposed to be your own works or believes/dreams, etc. Or if it can be of ANY spell or information.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:04 pm
Hikari_Saito
I had a question...I've just bought a blank notebook to use as my Book of Shadows. But, I was wondering, does everything in it have to be things that you've written: Like chants, rituals, etc? I mean, I've found some pretty cool spells that I would love to write down. I've also found some information about different Celtic herbs and trees that I would love to keep. But the problem is that I don't know whether a Book of Shadows is ONLY supposed to be your own works or believes/dreams, etc. Or if it can be of ANY spell or information.

You've got a point. But me, I write down EVERYTHING, from old myths to things that only I believe. Things i've wrote and things my friends have wrote. If I find a good spell, I want to ALWAYS be able to find it. And what better place then my book of shadows? lol. =)  

Choir-Angel

Ceannara

1,900 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:36 pm
The rule I learned from pretty much any Wiccan I encountered, is that you can write down any information you have found to be interesting, useful, or helpful. It is your own logbook, of sorts, for anything you think you want to write in there, that pertains to your studies and practice. (Or so I was told. There's not much personal in mine yet, my High Priest wants to get all of the 'neccessary' information in it first. Like elements, auras, tools, major Holidays, days of power, etc.)  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:05 am
I'm not satisfied with my current book of shadows, its not really that much anyway, so I'm going to start fresh, i bought a art/notebook that will serve good purpose smile

However Aurellion mentioned in her handy tips that she has a Book blessing as her first entry... I've heard of them before but could someone tell me what they are or what you write etc. Cause it sounds like a good start to a BoS.  

HiddenBeliefs

Funa Spectrum

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:53 am
Okay, I now have a group BOS. smile This one I won't be able to abuse.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:07 pm
Alright, i looked up book blessings on google and came up with this..
~
This is a great way to begin a BOS. Protection of the material within the book are extrememly important, especially if you live in a household where the path you follow is unknown.

Simply chant;
In the realm of magick this book shall reside
No one but the chosen shall see what's inside
If breath be to air as passiomn to fire
Let harm come to none, this is my desire
If life be to earth as water to emotions
This book be filled with magickal potions
May the gods protect it, keep it from harm
And upon it bestow power, magick and charm
No one without wisdom shall peer at it's pages
Or the knowledge inside handed down through the ages
This book be it mind, it harbors no fears
The knowledge obtained through blood sweat and tears
My magick's my passion, the spirit's my guide
The love for the goddess I hold deep inside
The book may she bless it with spiritual light
And let only her childeren read of its rite
For those of wiccan truly can see
This is my will, so mote it be.
~  

HiddenBeliefs

Sendoku

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:32 am
I chose to type mine just because I hate looking at my writing even though people have told me I have good writing.

But Yeah. I have downloaded a couple fonts off dafont.com that fit the celtic theme.

But yeah. I am waiting till I buy a printer and then I am gonna print it out on some of the cheap parchment looking paper you can buy.

But so far I have a spells, rituals, altars, incense recipes, sabbats, crystal magic, potions, divination, and astral travel sections. Not all are filled but they will be. I am fairly new to the craft.

Here are some links to videos where witches have shown their book of shadows. The first is an Native Canadian woman who was born into a pagan-ish background. The other is another canadian younger girl who is an artist and has been wiccan for a couple years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zsxq3aBQ13U

]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knFGFKPqq_o  
The Library - - [spells, rituals, blessings tree, etc]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas