Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
has anyone here read the apologetics study bible? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:47 pm
TeaDidikai
rmcdra
So the issue of wanting to break from Judaism would not be reason enough.

If what you are suggesting is true, that would give evidence to Marcion's claim of his Gospel being the source material for Luke
Luke is part of the Synoptic Gospels though. confused
It might just be rumors but I've been hearing that The Gospel of the Lord might have been the source material of Luke.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:50 pm
rmcdra
TeaDidikai
rmcdra

If what you are suggesting is true, that would give evidence to Marcion's claim of his Gospel being the source material for Luke
It might just be rumors but I've been hearing that The Gospel of the Lord might have been the source material of Luke.
I don't understand why someone would single out the Gospel of Luke, since it's a Synoptic Gospel, over say- the Gospel of John.  

TeaDidikai

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:57 pm
TeaDidikai
rmcdra
TeaDidikai
rmcdra

I don't understand why someone would single out the Gospel of Luke, since it's a Synoptic Gospel, over say- the Gospel of John.
Who knows? There's a lot of weird s**t, academically, that goes on in the Gnostic community.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:07 pm
rmcdra
TeaDidikai
rmcdra
TeaDidikai
rmcdra

Who knows? There's a lot of weird s**t, academically, that goes on in the Gnostic community.
I think I just need it explained.

What parts are they claiming independent from the Synoptic core?  

TeaDidikai

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:19 pm
TeaDidikai
rmcdra
TeaDidikai
rmcdra
TeaDidikai
rmcdra

I think I just need it explained.

What parts are they claiming independent from the Synoptic core?
Recent book on this topic.

Basically its the reverse of the argument against the Gospel of the Lord, that Marcion cut stuff out of Luke, in that one of his opponents added verses to the Gospel of the Lord to counter Marcionism.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:31 pm
But... Luke is dated around 80 AD, and Acts is around four decades later. Wait... let me recheck this stuff.

Luke is dated around 80 AD, but Marcion is what is around four decades later.  

TeaDidikai

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:38 pm
TeaDidikai
But... Luke is dated around 80 AD, and Acts is around four decades later. Wait... let me recheck this stuff.

That's debatable. Luke is ranged 80 CE to 130 CE

source  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:51 pm
rmcdra
TeaDidikai

source
I'm not sure why I should take that source above Meier. neutral  

TeaDidikai

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:53 am
TeaDidikai
rmcdra
TeaDidikai

source
I'm not sure why I should take that source above Meier. neutral
The biggest leg that I've seen so far for the late dating of Luke is that the earliest papyrus we have of Luke, Papyrus 4 and 75, is dated around 2nd Century/3rd Century and that we don't see Luke cited until the early 2nd century. I'm not saying that the late dating is conclusive since there's still not enough evidence to conclude a late dating but that the late dating of Luke argument is not complete bullshit.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:11 am
If I am reading this correctly, the argument boils down to oldest reference and copies date to X.

This would be a lot stronger if linguistics didn't point earlier and the argument itself relied on a lack of evidence to counter it being it's best support.  

TeaDidikai

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:30 am
TeaDidikai
If I am reading this correctly, the argument boils down to oldest reference and copies date to X.

This would be a lot stronger if linguistics didn't point earlier and the argument itself relied on a lack of evidence to counter it being it's best support.
Yeah it's a debatable thing and yes like you said, the lack of evidence to discount this theory is one of the other strong points going for it too. But I will say that there is more evidence supporting that Luke came first in terms of tradition and linguistics like you pointed out.

On an unrelated note I have now learned that a car lock in the shade in -9 F weather freezes shut.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:04 am
rmcdra
But I will say that there is more evidence supporting that Luke came first in terms of tradition and linguistics like you pointed out.
mrgreen Eh... You know me.

But then, I've always been a big fan of the Gospel of John myself.

I kinda see the Synoptic Gospels as the primers- "If you don't know how to follow, this is what you can do. Hopefully you'll get it eventually."  

TeaDidikai

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:46 am
TeaDidikai
mrgreen Eh... You know me.
biggrin

Quote:
But then, I've always been a big fan of the Gospel of John myself.
It's very deep to say the least.

Quote:
I kinda see the Synoptic Gospels as the primers- "If you don't know how to follow, this is what you can do. Hopefully you'll get it eventually."
That's pretty clever. They are good starting points I will say that and builds up to John.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:53 am
Would you say the Gospel of John has a more Mystic bent to it?  

TeaDidikai

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:36 pm
TeaDidikai
Would you say the Gospel of John has a more Mystic bent to it?
Yes I would.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces