Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Uber fluff alert. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

LadyEladrin

Friendly Werewolf

7,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:00 pm
confused Vanilla? Hey now. That was sooo uncalled for. razz And it doesn't look like I can make it over until sometime after Christmas, I just dont' have the time! I'm beginning to hate this time of year. Theres' no time for fun, just visiting and family and more visiting and food. What about friends? Anyways, enjoy the book! I'll be looking for your review in your blog.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:50 pm
*snerk* Well, maybe. But it's all in good fun. More Sexy Witch for me, I guess. Or something.

In other news, if you're not going to be able to drop by, let us know when we can drop off your prezzie. I guess I could have said that on MSN, but I'd probably have forgotten.  

ProfessorZed

TheDisreputableDog

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:10 am
Okay, so I didn't buy and actually read the book, but I did see it in the bookstore last week and I paged through it as thoroughly as I could in the time I had. The selection in Waldenbooks isn't that great so it's not like I had anything else to do. stare

Anyway. My impression that it's definitely not as bad as the negative reviews make it out to be--nor is it as groudbreaking and unique as the positive reviews claim. It was pretty much what I expected. She does seem to have a good feminist background. There's a lot of emphasis on respecting and understanding your own body, having self-confidence, and so on. The downside is that she's a little too chipper and cutesy about it all; I can't really get along with her tone but it may be easier or harder to deal with for others. Another downer is that I find it a bit hypocritical to bemoan the hardships of thong underwear embraced and advocated by the "women are sex-objects" mentality, and then turn around and say that a pair of thong underwear is a good component of successful packing. There may have been more turn-around tips like that but that was the one I noticed.

The basic format of the book is there are (seven? nine? sorry, can't remember the exact number) chapters, each containing a lecture if you will. In the back of the book there are rituals that correspond to each chapter. The basic idea is that you read the chapter during the week and then get together with a group of women who are also reading the book and do the corresponding ritual at the end of the week. The chapters are part lecture, part tips, part background for the ritual and exercises for the week.

So all in all...I personally wouldn't spend money on it (especially with her low-handed business tactics) but others might find it more useful than I would, or might like to request it from their local library. In my mind a better investment would be a copy of Our Bodies, Ourselves--it's more comprehensive, won't give people the willies about painting pictures with menstrual blood, and its authors aren't quite so childish.

But that's just me. lol  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:09 am
*pokes this thread so Erishkegal can find it and post her review soon* She told me the other day that she's finished reading it and now just has to post up about it. I'm looking forward to it!  

LadyEladrin

Friendly Werewolf

7,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Person of Interest 200

Ayita

Moonlight Comrade

10,500 Points
  • Winter Warrior 50
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:08 pm
Erishkegal
EladrinStarmist
Yeah. Utter trash. Bad Firefox. Bad!

No. Think critically. Bad witch. Bad!
Honestly, it sounds like a terrible book, but as you said (or rather what I gathered from what you said), you can't necessarily judge it before you read it. I'd give it a try, and I'm expecting the worst...so I might be surprised, lol...Besides, can it be worse than Silver Ravenwolf?  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:23 pm
Ayita
Erishkegal
EladrinStarmist
Yeah. Utter trash. Bad Firefox. Bad!

No. Think critically. Bad witch. Bad!
Honestly, it sounds like a terrible book, but as you said (or rather what I gathered from what you said), you can't necessarily judge it before you read it. I'd give it a try, and I'm expecting the worst...so I might be surprised, lol...Besides, can it be worse than Silver Ravenwolf?
If I believed in Jinxes, you would so be smacked with a wet noodle...  

Kal Eldritch

ProfessorZed

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:44 pm
OK, gang -- I finally finished the damned review! I actually quite liked the book, with few exceptions. Not to say that it's terribly original, or even that well-written, of course, but I'd say it's definitely worth borrowing, if not buying.

I don't feel like posting the whole review in-thread, so I'll direct you to the LJ community where I posted it:

Witchy Reads: Sexy Witch review by Erishkegal  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces