Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
My birthday is on a wiccan holiday? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

is my birthday on a cool day?
  yes
  no
View Results

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:52 pm
whiporwill-o
kage no neko
Okies. So I read through it and I think I must be missing something..

We've been assuming that Samhain is on October 31st. Just 'cause. I dunno, my calendar says so.
So if it isn't, when IS Samhain? And also, wtf do we celebrate on the 31st if it's not Samhain?

Samhain is November 1st
Is it like.. from the night of the 31st to the night of the 1st then? How do you determine the time period of Samhain?  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:57 pm
kage no neko
whiporwill-o
kage no neko

We've been assuming that Samhain is on October 31st. Just 'cause. I dunno, my calendar says so.
So if it isn't, when IS Samhain? And also, wtf do we celebrate on the 31st if it's not Samhain?

Samhain is November 1st
Is it like.. from the night of the 31st to the night of the 1st then? How do you determine the time period of Samhain?

i'm not wiccan or celtic (we did say it was celtic right? my brain is so fuzzzzzzy right now, lol), so i'm not sure about that one.  

whiporwill-o

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:02 pm
whiporwill-o
kage no neko
whiporwill-o
kage no neko

Samhain is November 1st

i'm not wiccan or celtic (we did say it was celtic right? my brain is so fuzzzzzzy right now, lol), so i'm not sure about that one.
I never said you were! razz
Anyway. I googled it to try to find something more exact. From what I understand, it begins at sundown of the 31st. If this is wrong, someone correct me please?  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:07 pm
kage no neko
whiporwill-o
kage no neko
whiporwill-o
kage no neko

Samhain is November 1st

I never said you were! razz
Anyway. I googled it to try to find something more exact. From what I understand, it begins at sundown of the 31st. If this is wrong, someone correct me please?

i wasn't accusing you razz
i was just, in a very round-about way, saying that i don't particularly participate in that holiday,  

whiporwill-o

too2sweet

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:03 pm
I think what Cu has been trying to say is that Samhain (traditionally) was not celebrated on a particular day - the actual date varied from year to year based on the lunar cycle.

Also, for those that follow the astronomical dates (and maybe this is somewhat related to what he was talking about), it doesn't (ever) fall on the 31st. This year, for example, the exact cross-quarter date is Nov 6th/7th (depending on exactly where you live in the Northern Hemisphere).  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:14 pm
too2sweet
I think what Cu has been trying to say is that Samhain (traditionally) was not celebrated on a particular day - the actual date varied from year to year based on the lunar cycle.

Also, for those that follow the astronomical dates (and maybe this is somewhat related to what he was talking about), it doesn't (ever) fall on the 31st. This year, for example, the exact cross-quarter date is Nov 6th/7th (depending on exactly where you live in the Northern Hemisphere).

Ooooooohhhh. idea idea idea

we need a translater for us simpletons xd  

whiporwill-o

aoijea23487

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:28 pm
If I remember correctly, British Traditional Wiccans call their holidays something other than Samhain, Beltaine, etc. They are never clear about what exactly they /do/ call their holidays, so I am guessing they are oathbound in secrecy. However, I believe scorplett suggested that the names were not original and drew upon another source, perhaps like the Outer Court names for them (Samhain).

Astrologically, Wiccan "Samhain" occurs on November 8th, if I remember correctly. But I think it might depend on your tradition when exactly you celebrate them (31st October versus the astrological date). The coven I'm studying under doesn't have a sabbat circle for Samhain on the 31st or the 8th. Scheduling for us is tricky, though, so maybe that's it.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:32 pm
whiporwill-o
Samhain is November 1st

No, it's really not.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:03 pm
CuAnnan
whiporwill-o
Samhain is November 1st

No, it's really not.

yes, i know that now.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:50 pm
Okay, since I have no clue when Samhain is supposed to be, why is it the 6/7/8th?  

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

too2sweet

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:17 pm
kage no neko
Okay, since I have no clue when Samhain is supposed to be, why is it the 6/7/8th?

It's the 6th/7th (not sure how she got the 8th). If you read the home page it goes into a little more detail.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:22 pm
too2sweet
kage no neko

It's the 6th/7th (not sure how she got the 8th). If you read the home page it goes into a little more detail.
*hugs* Thanks! I then had to figure out "is this an solstice or an equinox".. which I figured out it's neither, lol!  

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:09 am
Samhain is a seven day event, not a one day event.

Cite
Foras Feasa ar Éirinn, Book 1-2
Trí lá ré Samhain do ghrés,
Trí lá 'n-a diaidh fá deighbhés;

You'll find other sources to support this in the Ulster Cycle, particularly the Táin, where the Samhain Feis is repeatedly referenced as a multi day event, seven days of peace, with three days of stories at the center.
However, we come to my beef with the archaeoastronomy site, leaving aside the fact that they don't actually cite anything other than the Coligny calendar, and doing a terrible job of doing so.
The Coligny Calendar covered a five year cycle, in an attempt to reconsile the lunar year and the solar one. Scholars, to this day, argue whether or not the New Moon or the Full Moon started the month. Samhain, being a lunar event, which point of fact is supported by the Coligny calendar, cannot fall nicely into a solar date.

One of the ways I've heard it defined is the second full moon after the autumnal equinox. This would make it vary anywhere from October 20th - November 13th.

Another is the first full moon after a certain lunar alignment in Skryne.

Another is the first new moon after either of the two.

The long and the short of it is, it's a lunar date, not a solar one.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:28 pm
But this would just be for the Celtic Samhain, correct?
Other traditions use "Samhain" for their holiday also, but have their own dates for it.  

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Nines19

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:48 pm
kage no neko
But this would just be for the Celtic Samhain, correct?
Other traditions use "Samhain" for their holiday also, but have their own dates for it.

One would venture a guess that such is at best annoyingly misleading misappropriation, in most cases.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff