Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Eienchi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:38 pm
Eienchi
Small town = hard to find jobs.
I have one but Now i only work one day a week and that isnt enough.
I used to be full time, and it slowly turned to one day.
I know anyday it will be 0 days. crying

*points at the above post I made*
It happened. Yup. I think 3 days after I made this post I got the call to not bother to come into work. I knew it was gonna happen. But damn.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:01 pm
greengal48
I was going to school for graphic design when everything when down hill. I've been in and out of jobs ever since with most of them not even dealing with graphic design. I'm trying to freelance, which is also difficult. Temping is keeping me afloat for now but still... My prayers are with all of you. It will end and hopefully before things become too bad...

I'm graphic designer too and its very hard to keep a job, not to mention getting one. xp Too many of us and not nearly enough of jobs. So I've been doing this and that and now I'm back on doing half-free things to friends for keeping myself up to date and having some fresh references.  

Veddhartha

dahliarose

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:27 am
i've worked at the same resturant for 15 years. i'm lucky that i have seniority, but i've never seen sales so low.

just my frigging luck that my mortgage rate adjusts this year! stressed  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:24 pm
I graduated in December and have been looking for a job since. I work at a Dollar General, but I need/want experience in my field (psychology) which is nearly impossible anyway without a Master's degree, and I also need something with benefits and that pays more than minimum wage. I've applied to so many jobs, both in and out of my field, and finally, this week, I think things are starting to come together for me. I had a friend who was jobless for six months after she graduated. It wasn't nearly so bad for her, because she doesn't have any bills or loans to pay for- I have loans, a cell phone bill, and a credit card bill I need to pay for. Hopefully job stuff will continue to come together for me. confused

On that note, have any of the guild crew thought to make a sticky where people can swap job resources? Job boards, job networking sites, perhaps a place where people can post job listings at their own places of employment? It might be useful to nearly half the people in this guild, since I think the majority of us are out of work. confused

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

Wixandrettas

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:23 am
15 months ago working for Medicare (yup, one of the many branches of the federal govt), there was threat of layoffs... I gave notice before it happened.

15 months later, Im working in a major hospital that, a $10 million dollar loan just got rescinded by the banks that would have helped to build a whole new healthcare facility here in Southern NH. As a result, jobs are being cut back, my department alone has seen 10 people go in 9 months!!! Im doing the work of two people right now and the rest of the people I work with are panic-stricken not knowing 'who is next to get let go?"... Im not feeling confident in this job staying permanent either..

I just got hired at a new company, its only 20 minutes away from where I live which I dont mind the driving. Ill learn so much more there with more opportunities that are available. They are looking for people also to help come up with ways to bring in more business (Medical Billing for MD offices) I want to help them build this onto other traditional medical related tasks, like Transcription.. I type 90 WPM, and I would love to make some extra income for sure!

Im about to explore a contract-job teaching Anatomy-Physiology, Medical Terminology and/or Transcription. After 13 years, I have alot to offer.. so I will learn more about the school soon.

All I can say is, keep communication going whereever you are working. If its starting to look questionable, get your feelers out.. Better be prepared as opposed to be laid off.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:44 pm
The company I'm working for decided to cut jobs and move the main office to El Paso. They decided to keep 15 people to handle the "small" jobs and to have one so called 15-passenger van that really can hold 14 people barely.

I also found out we are being kicked out of our office and being moved to a smaller building. This soo sucks bad.  

Havoc Fury Magnus

Aged Spirit

iggies

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:55 pm
JupieStarPower6
fr34x0r
my biggest problem is motivation and finding work I can actually do, mentally(anxiety) and physically(bad arm)

I'm in the same position. I have bad anxiety and don't do well in social situations. So it is really hard for me to find a job. It's nice to know someone else is going through the same. Good luck with the job hunt.

I hate the anxiety, I'm trying to hide my distress being around people... I should have found something right after graduating too, but life crap hit me hard. Now physically gaining ground, I'm back to the hunt again. Good luck to you all too... It is nice to know I'm not the only one fighting this stuff too.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:33 pm
Havoc Fury Magnus
The company I'm working for decided to cut jobs and move the main office to El Paso. They decided to keep 15 people to handle the "small" jobs and to have one so called 15-passenger van that really can hold 14 people barely.

I also found out we are being kicked out of our office and being moved to a smaller building. This soo sucks bad.

That's just horrible! I hope things start to look better.

I'm pretty cemented in this retail job, but at $7 an hour with no benefits being treated like the store pack mule and my knees and patience giving out, I'm finding it harder and harder to go to work each day.  

charamath

Lady Antu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:48 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
I graduated in December and have been looking for a job since. I work at a Dollar General, but I need/want experience in my field (psychology) which is nearly impossible anyway without a Master's degree, and I also need something with benefits and that pays more than minimum wage. I've applied to so many jobs, both in and out of my field, and finally, this week, I think things are starting to come together for me. I had a friend who was jobless for six months after she graduated. It wasn't nearly so bad for her, because she doesn't have any bills or loans to pay for- I have loans, a cell phone bill, and a credit card bill I need to pay for. Hopefully job stuff will continue to come together for me. confused

I feel your pain. My boyfriend and myself are graduating (with BAs in Anthropology/Archaeology) in May and promptly moving back in with my parents (because of loans, bills, etc). I'm currently working part time in an office and he's working at the store that shall not be named, but it starts with a Wal and ends with a Mart. We can find jobs in our field but they are 500+ miles away, so that doesn't help us. We've both trying to find better jobs for over a year now with no luck, so off to my folk's house we go. xp

I seriously considered moving to Detroit because houses are going for under a $1000. I saw one that was going for, I s**t you not, $1!!  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:57 am
I got a two week lasting job at kinder garden. Not bad, pay isn't much but fair for a job like that. It's been surprisingly fun, momentarily frustrating but generally I've been on the positive side. Few kids safe the day.  

Veddhartha

Evil Eirlys

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:37 pm
My husband and I were both doing fine, but now both of our jobs cut back our hours at the same time, and it's getting hard to make ends meet. Now i'm trying to find a second job, but so far no takers. And moving back home to live with our parents would not be a very practical option since the economy is even worse there. Things get much worse, and everyone in the whole country will be filing for bankruptcy. That could make things really interesting...  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:10 pm
Crystalwolf78
How many people are having trouble looking or keeping jobs? i been looking for 5 months now and I need one now or i loose the apartment.

I lost mine do to a buy out of the compnay I worked for and being replace by one of their guys. So I am now hunting from city to city and web looking for possible jobs while getting paid unemployment.  

rockmanx

Gaian Geezers Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces