Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply Theist to Atheist Q&A
My Curious Questions to All Atheists Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

C.E.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:44 pm
i do not post in here often, but i felt that despite my answers being very similar to many who already responded, this is still a good thread to throw my two cents into.

SaintChaos

1) Do you believe in an after life? If yes, what kind, if not and you believe in nothing after you die then why?

no. what most people seem to view the after life as is someplace where your consciousness goes to after death. since i believe that thought consciousness is merely a product of chemical and biological synapses, it ceases to function when our physical matter breaks down.

SaintChaos
2) Do you believe in spirits? If not, why? If yes, where do you think they came from?

(yes sorta a stupid question, but just curious)

no. a common thought on spirits seems to be that they are almost a form of afterlife. or an in between stage. thus going by my thoughts on the afterlife, we can put the same reasoning to this question. any other form of supernatural belief tends to be generated from a need to explain things that we cannot immediately explain. people are often made uncomfortable by things they do not understand. giving some explanation, even if it has no basis in reason, can make some people feel more secure. i can understand that i suppose, but instead of just explaining things away with a supernatural belief, i feel that there is a logical and scientific reasoning behind everything, even if i do not understand it myself.

SaintChaos
3) If you don't believe in God, do you believe in Satan?

(ive heard most say to that, that they believe in satan but refer to satan as a physical form of all evil that exists? *shrugs*)

no. why would i? i don't need to attribute a figure or deity to any moral code. evil is just a term we use to describe actions that would go against what we have construed as good. there is no supernatural force behind any of it.

SaintChaos
4)If you don't believe in God, is there something else you believe firmly in?
Even if its a logical reasoning?

just that. i believe that at the bottom of everything therein lies a logical and scientific explanation. no matter how intelligent people may be, we may never be able to explain everything, but just because we do not have the means to explain it, does not mean that it was automatically supernatural. i am comfortable in knowing that we may never comprehend everything.

SaintChaos
5)what do you believe regarding how came into existence?

(if it regards evolution, lol don't worry i wont debate on that particular subject. i hate it beyond all recognition as a form of debate. if you believe in evolution, you dont have to elaborate on it. just curious.)

as a few have already stated. evolution does not offer up an explanation on how things "came into existence." i do support evolution, but it is just a physical path as to how we have come to be as we are now.
as for what i believe in regards to how we came into existence entirely? i cannot be so arrogant to think i am intelligent enough to even attempt to answer that one. scientific law states that energy and matter cannot be created or destroyed, thus the universe has always been in existence. but how or why? there is a scientific reasoning to it all, but will we ever have the means to truly know? possibly not. just because i feel that everything is explainable through logic and science, does not mean i necessarily think that we will be able to comprehend it all.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:52 pm
1) Do you believe in an after life? If yes, what kind, if not and you believe in nothing after you die then why?
Do I believe in an afterlife?

No, I do not in life after death. As far as I am concerned my body rots, and goes back into the earth. It's part of the natural cycle.

2) Do you believe in spirits? If not, why? If yes, where do you think they came from?

I do not believe in the idiea of a soul, and thus I do not believe in spirits/ghosts.

I do not believe in Satan. Then again why would someone who does not believe in the existance of gods/goddesses/deities turn around and contradict him/herself by believing in the biblical idea of Satan?

I believe in common sense and logic. It has never led me astray.

Complex things have simple beginnings. We came into existance the same way all other living things on Earth came into existance. We all began as the same thing, the precursor to all life, bacteria. From there, that simple beginning gave way to less simple things. In time there was life in the seas. In time there was life on land. In time, there existed us.

We are the present product of many things. I cannot simply finger Evolution because that is only part of it. We came into being, and we survived the Ice Age, and we outlived the Neanderthals, and we continue to persevere against the greatest threat, ourselves. We exist because of so many thing that work together as a whole.

Sanguvixen

Levis Pennae

Dapper Citizen

6,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:10 pm
No I do not believe in an after life, 'cause when we die we die, end of story.
No, because it is embedded into the human mind to seek out familiarity in any environment, such as a human face. This can also be used to explain the religious phenomenon.
No, and no.
4)If you don't believe in God, is there something else you believe firmly in? Even if its a logical reasoning?
Everything I believe in can be summarized in these two lines:
~-~People who are in power are in power because they have power.
~-~You are entitled to your own beliefs as long as they don't interfere with someone else holding their own beliefs.

5)What do you believe regarding how came into existence?
Big Bang theory, quantum mechanics, fusion to mass, mass to life through evolution  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:34 am
No, I don't. You're born, you die, you make the best of it in between and hope somebody remembers you.

Not really, not sure.

As in the tangible fallen angel living beneath the earth with a pitchfork? No, the idea is just as unlikely as a deity. I don't think you can split anything into straight-up good and evil.

Science, logic, reasoned thinking.
Srsly. I'm waiting for another Enlightenment, here.

I'm not really sure, and I don't think we ever will be sure. But does it matter? How is it going to affect us? It's not like Earth history, where you learn from your mistakes. It'd just be a little factoid that would create a big stir.
Not that I don't want to know. I just believe it's relatively useless information. However it started, or didn't start, here it is. Let's have fun.  

Tchaik

Xiporah

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:16 am
1) Do you believe in an after life? If yes, what kind, if not and you believe in nothing after you die then why? No. I don't believe in an afterlife. What's the point of life if there's an afterlife that will last for eternity? If there is an afterlife, why aren't people offing themselves in record numbers to get there sooner?

2) Do you believe in spirits? If not, why? If yes, where do you think they came from? No. I think most hauntings are coming from something we don't fully understand yet. The very thought of spirits and ghosts scares the living crap out of me. I can't sleep after watching one of those Ghost hunting specials on TV. It's just...scary. How would you defend yourself if there really WAS one? It's a boogyman for me. I've never seen evidence of actual ghosts myself, so I would have to say no.

3) If you don't believe in God, do you believe in Satan? No.

4)If you don't believe in God, is there something else you believe firmly in? Even if its a logical reasoning? I firmly believe that I really have to go to the bathroom right now. *Looks wistfully at the door.* I firmly believe in just living life. As long as I am not kicking puppies or killing people, who cares?

5)what do you believe regarding how came into existence? Evolution. I don't see how creation is feesible.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:46 pm
But how quickly we forget
Such a sure and perfect plan,
And unlearn the passions that once had burned.

Um, no. Your brain pretty much dies when you die (except in scifi or whatever), so you can't really perceive anything, even imaginary. It's just like before you were born. Of course, I've never died, so I don't know for sure, but this is what I think.

Uhhh... no. The only kind of spirit I believe in is thought.

Nope! Satan is basically God's alter-ego, and since one doesn't exist (YAY ATHEISM) the other can't either.

Time! Nature! Coincidence! That's what God really is!

Oh, and Erik. Gotta believe in Erik. XD

Darwin all the way. =D

But how could I have seen?
What was I to do?
How could I know I would find you?
-Erik, The Phantom of the Opera, Tom Alonso

Elanchana

Teoka

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:24 am

I don't believe in an afterlife because there is no concrete proof of one.

I'm what is called a Bright - someone who doesn't believe in any superstition.

No User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. Why would I believe in the devil when I don't believe in a god?

4)If you don't believe in God, is there something else you believe firmly in? Even if its a logical reasoning?

I have a lot of things I believe in, none of them superstitions or religious. I like logical reasoning, though. It provides a sturdy foundation for rational thought.

5) What do you believe regarding how came into existence?

The big bang has the most proof, so I'm gonna go with the big bang. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:48 pm

I'm not for sure. I do'nt think there's a heaven or hell. But I think there's a place we chill and hang out (our souls)

I sort of do. I don't think they go crazy and start killing people. I think they came from the deceased.

No!!!!!!

I believe in LOGIC!

Big Bang ... then Evolution .. and VOILA. Humans rules!!!!

LimeIzMyFaveColor

1,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100

Czstwyb

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:23 pm

No. No reason to if you don't believe in souls.

No. No reason to.

No.

It's impossible not to have any beliefs whatsoever...

A chain reaction started a long, long, long time ago which happened to lead to the creation of humans. The same reaction which caused you to make this post and me to reply.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:51 pm
As much as I'd like to believe in one, I don't. I believe that our souls are really a chemical product of our brain, which eventually returns to the earth. Thank you earth for my life, now when I die I'll give it back to you.

No, end of story. Why should I believe in spirits anyway? The thought sounds stupid.

No, I don't believe in Satan. I do believe, however, that all humans have an evil side to them (just as they have a good side).

Yes, science and humanity. Science saves the world (not completely, but in a lot of and very effective ways); humanity is the only thing that keeps improving itself (or maybe not, but I wish I could see how it turns out).

Evolution, and the belief that everything HAS ALWAYS BEEN existing.  

=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=

Exoskeletor

High-functioning Duck

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:08 am

No, I don't believe in an afterlife. I believe that when you die, you're dead. Your body decomposes and that is the end.

I watch a lot of ghost hunters so I'm not sure if I do or not. Considering I don't believe in souls I don't know how to explain it. Perhaps a physical connection to a place....or something.

No. I don't even believe in evil. Evil is in the eye of the beholder. If you believe you did the right thing then how can it truly be an act of evil?

I believe in a thing called love. Had to say that, anyway, I don't believe in a higher power. To me it all seems silly. I believe in evolution and scientific discoveries, but mostly I believe in what I can see and what I can understand by myself.

I don't know. And I don't want to know. Why do we need to know? The meaning of life is to live. I don't understand why everyone thinks it so important to know how the universe came into being. Maybe it's simply been here for forever. No one will ever know how the world came to be and I'm just fine with that.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:34 am

No I don't.

Again, no I don't.

A third time...No, I don't =P

I believe in the pursuit of truth at any cost.

Energy coming into being as matter doesn't violate the Law of Conservation of Energy, seeing as gravitational energy is essentially negative. I heard a way to describe this, and will post it if you're curious, but it's quite long and didn't want to dig it up if you weren't.  

demonman153

MissDemeter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:03 pm

No, I don't actually. I wish I did, because it's a wonderful idea, but it's simply not plausible.

I sort of do... I'm on the fence about that one. On one hand, I think spirits and ghosts are a ridiculous idea, but on the other hand, there's tons of evidence to suggest that they actually exist. So I'm really not sure.

No. But if there was a Satan, he'd be awesome.

SCIENCE SCIENCE SCIENCE SCIENCE

Erk... Big Bang, evolution, and here we are!  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:04 pm
Quote:

Not really. I try to think of the afterlife from a physiological standpoint--dying, the shutting down of one's brain, is a bit like falling asleep. Which makes death like being asleep without dreaming, forever. Which, in a way, is scary.

Quote:

No. Our personalities and anything else that could be considered part of the soul resides in our brains and bodies. When they die, we die. End of story.

Quote:

How can you believe in one and not the other? There is no yin without yang; no bad without good. Besides, Satan is a character in the Bible, isn't he? If the Bible is a lie, then so is Satan. (I don't believe in a physical or single personification of evil. People can be good or bad--there's no mascot for either.)

Quote:

Science, to a degree. I don't believe in everything that scientists come up with, but fact is so much easier to believe in. Logic, also. And things that I can discover through physical means (whether by experimentation, the five senses, or sometime similar.)

Quote:

Right now, evolution is looking like the best explanation. The Big Bang theory, while not exclusive to the evolution theory, is also appealing to me at this time. I don't know for sure, and I doubt that anyone ever will.

Quote:
I look forward to hearing your responses. ^_^ heart

I'm glad you decided to come talk to us, and I'm very pleased that you are so nice about it.  

RestlessRenegade

6,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Friendly 100

Eccentric Detective

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:46 pm

I really don't think so. Other than being naturally decomposed and the chemicals in my body returning to the Earth to form new life, there's nothing that happens afterward.

(yes sorta a stupid question, but just curious)

Hmm... I'm kind of torn. I'd love to believe in souls and ghosts, but it's just not that plausible. I figure most supernatural "encounters" are products of of human imagination. So I don't think I do. When you think about it, the brain is responsible for your movements, the processing of new information about your environment... and if the brain is dead, the person is gone forever.

(ive heard most say to that, that they believe in satan but refer to satan as a physical form of all evil that exists? *shrugs*)

Absolutely not. I was Wiccan for a while just because Satan seemed so ridiculous.

I believe in vampires. I know it's childish, but I want to hold on to hope that I can exist forever... with awesome side effects like super speed, sharp vision, and extremely pale skin... Heh.

I honestly don't know. Matter cannot be created or destroyed, but suppose it really all just Was, in a very dense glob. And when it expanded, that introduced a fourth element - Time. Voila, the beginning of time. Eventually it organized into what we recognize as life.

I love discussing these things, and I'm glad you're being reasonable and polite, unlike so many religious that I've met.  
Theist to Atheist Q&A

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff