Half-Blood Prince Discussion Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Fluff

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:50 pm
Cos-mos7
Dumbledore's not fully dead. o.O; He and Snape planned the whole thing and Snape isn't evil, just doing his double agent role, again. Dumbledore has a Horcrux or two since he's probably had to kill Death Eaters while fighting them and figured, "Since Voldemort's spilt his soul, maybe I should do that too. Just in case."

Snape is evil. twisted

We all believed that about Sirius, that he wasn't really dead and that he'd come back. But did he? Psh... *misses Sirius*
I highly doubt Dumbledore would have a horcrux. They all talked about them like it was the most horrible thing in the world, to have a horcrux, let alone 6.

I feel like the only person here who is glad Dumbledore is gone. -___-;  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:54 pm
The Fluff

I'm glad Dumbledore is gone. I'm just rather silent about that particular opinion, as I said that in a spoiler thread on the HP Subforum a day or so after HBP came out, and about 5 people flipped out at me.  

Empress_Kat
Crew

The Fluff

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:05 pm
Empress_Kat
The Fluff

I'm glad Dumbledore is gone. I'm just rather silent about that particular opinion, as I said that in a spoiler thread on the HP Subforum a day or so after HBP came out, and about 5 people flipped out at me.

gonk I suppose I don't want people flipping out at me.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:23 pm
The Fluff
Empress_Kat
The Fluff

gonk I suppose I don't want people flipping out at me.
You never know here either. For me, Dumbledore was starting to bother me a little, so I guess I am a little glad that he is gone, I just don't believe that the way he went was the right way for his character to go. I mean come on, I don't see Dumbledore as someone that is so easily rendered defenseless and pleads with Snape for help.  

BahamutIIX

KimCL
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:00 pm
Well I'm not glad he's gone...  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:11 pm
KimCL
Well I'm not glad he's gone...

Me neither. It makes me sad, Dumbledore was cool. My friend Letishia's theory, which I totally love. ^-^

Letishia's Theory:

Sorry people, I just can't help myself.

Presenting what Letishia wrote in her not-so-spare time...

Clue's That Prove Dumbledore Wanted Snape to Kill Him and Snape is Not Evil:

Snape takes the Unbreakable Vow, and Dumbledore knows about it.

In the 5th book, Dumbledore faces death head on by fighting Voldemort, making him mad, and telling him that there are worse things than death.

Dumbledore didn't seemed surprised or worried in the least when Harry kept telling him what he'd learned spying on Snape and Malfoy.

Dumbledore and Snape had a fight; if Snape were working for Voldemort, why would he give himself away by fighting with the one he's supposed to be spying on?

He drinks the potion in the cave, first making Harry promise that he won't drink it himself.

Dumbledore hints that, though the potion he drank in the cave won't kill immediately, it will probably leave the drinker alive long enough to cause a lot of pain or allow Voldemort to find out who had attempted to steal one of his Horcruxes.

So Dumbledore probably knew he was going to die anyway.

Not to metion he tells Harry that Harry's life is more important than his, attempting to make sure Harry knows he isn't afraid of death, and would sacrifice himself for Harry. Would he do the same for Draco and Snape?

Plus, he knows he'll probably die anyway.

Harry wants to take Dumbledore to Madam Pomfry, Dumbledore wants Harry to take him directly to Snape.

When Harry and Dumbledore arrive at the tower, Dumbledore makes sure that Harry cannot interfere when Draco arrives. Saving him form being a murderer and possible death at the hands of Voldemort's followers, even Harry was outnumbered, Dumbledore knows him well enough to see he'd most likely do something rash.

Dumbledore knows most all of what Draco has been up to this year. Has Snape told him everything?

Dumbledore knows Draco won't be able to kill him, and doesn't want someone so young to have done murder.

Dumbledore, throughout the entire series has had faith in Snape, and he didn't stop when Draco told him Snape was double crossing him.

Snape continuously interfered with Draco, trying to make sure the boy didn't just throw caution to the wind.

The whole discussion with the other Death Eaters seems to me like a ploy to gain time. Until a certain person appears, perhaps? Because if Draco doesn't fulfill his mission, the others would probably kill him.

So now not only is Draco's clear murder record on the line, so is his life.

When Snape arrives at last, there is a moment where he and Dumbledore just look at each other. Do you think J.K.R. would just have two very experienced Legilimens do nothing but stare at each other, or do you think they were silently comunicating.

OK, seriously, do you think Dumbledore would plead for his own life? He just finished taking that potion he knew would kill him.

Dumbledore wasn't paniced the entire time the Death Eaters were there, he stayed perfectly calm.

The revulsion etched on Snape's face, was most likely for what he was about to do, not for Dumbledore.

Snape saved Malfoy's butt. Admit it, the guy does have a heart.

He didn't stay and fight the other Order members, just fled.

Notice that Snape did nothing but deflect Harry's spells.

He berated harry for using the unforgivables.

He was abnormally enraged when Harry called him a coward, was it because he'd just done something he REALLY didn't want to do but did anyway because Dumbledore told him to do for the greater good?

He actually gave Harry a piece of advice before he left: "Blocked again and again and again until you learn to keep your mouth shut and your mind closed, Potter!"

Another Death Eater started to torture Harry and Snape stopped him: "Potter belongs to the Dark Lord - we are to leave him! Go! Go!"

On page 604 (American version), Harry's defenseless state in front of Sanpe is compared to Dumbledore's, and "Snape's face was suffused with hatred just as it had been before he cursed Dumbledore."

Yet Harry’s still alive.

Harry says: "Kill me then. Kill me like you killed him you coward." And Snapes face: "...was suddenly demented, inhuman, as though he was in as much pain as the yelping, howling dog stuck in the burning house behind him."

Plus, I have a feeling, always have, that Snape is good. And even after he killed Dumbledore, I was confused not angry. Because I knew there was a logical explaination. And there is! I've read that part over a million times, and this is the conclusion I've draw with some others I've been chatting with online.

Just had to get that outta my system. I'll go back to talking about the Weasley's now.

Ginny + Harry = heart

Kittensaurex

Sparkly Smoker

KimCL
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:06 am
Ha! Well there it is all.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:14 am
Okay also, Harry is dumb for leaving Ginny. In my opinion he is just one stupid cause he truly cares for her but he also gave it away that he doesl like her. I mean, if I saw a guy leave a girl that he has been going out with for some time and could tell that he truly cared for her, and then he starts to come after me. I would go right to the girl and use her for protection, (I remind you this is my vision through Voldemort, I would never ever do that in real life. I do respect people). So he pretty much gave it away that he did care for her.  

BahamutIIX

chibi_chan
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:05 am
That's a great theory. 3nodding I liked the one with Snape and Dumbledore cummunicating. Not sure of it works that way. But it would be great if it was.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:29 pm
BahamutIIX
Okay also, Harry is dumb for leaving Ginny. In my opinion he is just one stupid cause he truly cares for her but he also gave it away that he doesl like her. I mean, if I saw a guy leave a girl that he has been going out with for some time and could tell that he truly cared for her, and then he starts to come after me. I would go right to the girl and use her for protection, (I remind you this is my vision through Voldemort, I would never ever do that in real life. I do respect people). So he pretty much gave it away that he did care for her.

Yeah, obviously he does care for her but he did it because HE DOES care for her. He doesn't want her to get hurt, seeing what happend to Dumbledore. He just doesn't want him to be the reasons he is hurt.

Isotropes

Magnetic Conversationalist

Ellamir

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:56 pm
Aelina_Songmaker
My official, 750+ word review. I submitted it to Mugglenet.

Although it was much, much darker than all the other books, Half-Blood Prince wound up being my favorite by far. The angst, the romance, the wicked awesome new spells, the mystery...it goes on and on. On a scale of 1 to 5, it was a 10.

The Half-Blood Prince turns out to be this guy who wrote notes all over Harry's used Potions textbook. Can't tell you who he is yet, but I will tell you his notes are absolutely ingenius and pretty much earned Harry perfect grades all through Potions. NEWT Potions. Yeah, he made it in. Harry's OWL grades below (with the American Muggle grade equivalent, although a P isn't considered a pass):

Astronomy: A (C)
Care of Magical Creatures: E (B)
Charms: E (B)
Defense Against the Dark Arts: O (A)
Divination: P (D)
Herbology: E (B)
History of Magic: D (F)
Potions: E (B)
Transfiguration: E (B)

That's about a 2.4 GPA. Bad. Very bad. Harry wants to be an Auror, remember? Hermione's all O's, with an E in DADA. That really surprised me. I would've thought that anyone in the DA would've gotten an O, and the mere fact that she didn't ace it was enough to make me remark that the world is ending. There's something decidedly fishy there, methinks. Ron is pretty average.

As for DADA teacher, first get this. There's a new Potions teacher, a man called Slughorn. He has a talent for spotting students that will end up famous. The current captain of the awesome all-female Quidditch team, the guy who runs Zonko's...etc. He picks a few students from Harry's year, Harry, Hermione, Ginny and Neville among them. They're called the Slug Club. I don't like him all that much.

And if there's a new Potions teacher, where's Snape? you ask. Well, I'll tell you. The DADA job. He finally got it, smelly, slimy git that he is. I hate him again. More details on that later.

Onto the topic of ships! Okay. At the start of the book, Ginny's dating Dean. Ron dislikes this. So do the rest of the Weasley boys. Ron and Hermione are acting as usual--nothing actually there, but a lot that they're too stupid to see. Ron dates Lavender for a while, mostly to make Hermione jealous, I think. Lavender calls him Won-Won. I started sharpening my knives. In retaliation, Hermione goes out with this stupid, thick-headed seventh-year. It lasts about an hour.

As for adults, Ron and Fleur are engaged. Hermione and Ginny have to put up with Fleur and her plans. They call her Phlegm behind her back. At the end of the book, we find out that Tonks is in love with Remus, but he keeps telling her he's too old and too dangerous, but she doesn't care. It's really sad.

On the Harry front. He takes Luna to a party--just as friends, which I thought was very kind. Nothing was happening for quite a while, until he and Ron found Ginny and Dean rather occupied in a hallway. Harry gets quite mad, despite the fact that he keeps imagining himself as Dean. After about 200 pages of wait, there is a Gryffindor Quidditch victory. Party in the common room. Ginny hugs Harry, and, in front of most of Gryffindor House, Harry kisses her.

I screamed. Loudly. IIIIIIII waaaaaaaas riiiiiiight...

All through the book, Dumbledore is showing Harry memories about Tom Riddle/Voldemort through the Penseive. We see his parents, eleven-year-old Tom going into Hogwarts, Tom finding his last living ancestors, etc. It's almost sad.

Then we find out Voldemort's been tearing off little bits of his soul and hiding them in things. Dumbledore and Harry go after one, but Dumbledore is badly weakened. They return to the castle and find the Dark Mark over it. Malfoy (that's Draco) points a wand at then and tells them he'll kill Dumbledore. Yeah, he's a Death Eater now. His mother had a conniption. But he can't manage to do it.

Just when we think they're saved, POP! Up comes Snape, and...he kills Dumbledore. That's right, Snape Avadas Dumbledore. That's the spoiler I got the other day. That's what I was freaking out about.

Snape turns out to have been the Half-Blood Prince. That was his old textbook Harry found. Snape's father was a Muggle, and his mother's maiden name was Prince. Hence, Half-Blood Prince. Glorifying the pureblood half, yet pointing out the Muggle half. Strange...

End was sad. Although the next book looks really cool. Harry says he won't go back to Hogwarts; he's going to go out and find the other things Voldie put his soul in. He reconciles to the fact that he can't hide behind those he loves any longer.

The End.
sorry i just want to point out a mistake it is bill and fluer who are engaged not ron and fluer. otherwise very good review.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:16 pm
@FayeWeasley's theory.

Exactly.  

Niozik

KimCL
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:22 pm
BeeBrittney
BahamutIIX

Yeah, obviously he does care for her but he did it because HE DOES care for her. He doesn't want her to get hurt, seeing what happend to Dumbledore. He just doesn't want him to be the reasons he is hurt.

3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:57 pm
Ellamir
Aelina_Songmaker
Snip
sorry i just want to point out a mistake it is bill and fluer who are engaged not ron and fluer. otherwise very good review.
Ron and Fluer... lol That would be funny  

FireRazor

Ellamir

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:33 pm
FireRazor
Ellamir
Aelina_Songmaker
Snip
Ron and Fluer... lol That would be funny
oh yea. definetly  
Main Forum: Haven for Harry Potter Fanatics

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas