Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
So, Polygamy Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Oh Asobi

Sparkly Genius

11,025 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:42 pm
humble_gypsy_traveller
Oh Asobi
i've always wanted to try one.
Eveytime i get with someone though they are never open to it ....

It takes a lot of thought though. What do you really want out of it...that's what you should always consider.

Well i've always expierence when i'm with someone, i like someone else too usually but i never wanna leave the person i'm with because i still like them...so i was considering trying it out, but at the same time i know i get kind protective with the person im with so i don't know  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:08 pm
Oh Asobi
humble_gypsy_traveller
Oh Asobi

It takes a lot of thought though. What do you really want out of it...that's what you should always consider.

Well i've always expierence when i'm with someone, i like someone else too usually but i never wanna leave the person i'm with because i still like them...so i was considering trying it out, but at the same time i know i get kind protective with the person im with so i don't know

See, I was that way too...the girl that introduced me to polygamy actually dropped me because I was too clingy...and this was BEFORE she had told me she was a Polygamist. After her, I was in shell shock. I didn't know what I wanted...so I, of my own choice, being the monogamous guy I use to be, went single but still slept around...I didn't want any romantic attachment AT ALL. It was about 7 years that passed that I started seriously dating again. Then at that time, I managed to get over her major brush off...we actually became better friends...so she invited me to her birthday party at her place...everybody had WAY TOO one many drinks...and her girlfriend/partner started making out with me...I was freaked at first, cuz I didn't need another jealous blow up...but surprised, my ex-girlfriend didn't mind that her partner was making out with me...and more *wink wink*....so then on...I was comfortable with the poly life...after hours of research after....I learned the rules too.  

humble_gypsy_traveller

Business Sex Symbol

9,250 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Trader 100
  • Tycoon 200

Oh Asobi

Sparkly Genius

11,025 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:20 pm
humble_gypsy_traveller
Oh Asobi
humble_gypsy_traveller
Oh Asobi

See, I was that way too...the girl that introduced me to polygamy actually dropped me because I was too clingy...and this was BEFORE she had told me she was a Polygamist. After her, I was in shell shock. I didn't know what I wanted...so I, of my own choice, being the monogamous guy I use to be, went single but still slept around...I didn't want any romantic attachment AT ALL. It was about 7 years that passed that I started seriously dating again. Then at that time, I managed to get over her major brush off...we actually became better friends...so she invited me to her birthday party at her place...everybody had WAY TOO one many drinks...and her girlfriend/partner started making out with me...I was freaked at first, cuz I didn't need another jealous blow up...but surprised, my ex-girlfriend didn't mind that her partner was making out with me...and more *wink wink*....so then on...I was comfortable with the poly life...after hours of research after....I learned the rules too.

There are rules? And you said 7 years being single, woah D:' I couldn never do that.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:21 pm
humble_gypsy_traveller
The Girl Prince
While I admire polyamory, I know I'm not capable of it. It's really great when a group of people can come together and make it work!
I know I'd get jealous or too clingy to one person and anyone else would be pushed to a lower priority. Sorry to say it that way, makes me sound like a total jerk. sweatdrop

That's a misconception. No person in a polyigamous relationship is greater then the other. It's like any other relationship...it's all about equality. The thing I love about it is that it pushes the limits on open-ness in a relationship. Personally, I find that many monogamous relationships have a small area of trust. By that, I mean that, being the carnal beings we are, there is a wide window to lead to cheating. In a polygamous relationship, there really isn't any fear of admitting "I like such and such, and I want to sleep with them*. You can communicate that with your partner(s) and know that, in most cases your partner(s) would approve. Again, I say this isn't for everybody...because some actually do have the ability to stay with one person, and are fine with one person. The thing I'm attracted to polygamy about is that, partners are free to come and go as they please. The other misconception about polygamy is it's all about sexual behavior; about big orgies, about sex parties...that's not always true. I mean, there are some out there that are all about the physical rub and tug...but a lot of it is about emotional connection.

Oh, no, that's exactly what I was saying, lol. You may have misread -- I'm saying that I'm unable to hold a relationship like that up on my part, largely because I would cling to one person.
The equality I'd have to balance between more than one other person is something I'm emotionally unable to do -- that's precisely what I admire about polygamy! :O The balance between all persons is incredibly admirable.  

The Girl Prince

Dapper Friend

humble_gypsy_traveller

Business Sex Symbol

9,250 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Trader 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:33 pm
The Girl Prince
humble_gypsy_traveller
The Girl Prince
While I admire polyamory, I know I'm not capable of it. It's really great when a group of people can come together and make it work!
I know I'd get jealous or too clingy to one person and anyone else would be pushed to a lower priority. Sorry to say it that way, makes me sound like a total jerk. sweatdrop

That's a misconception. No person in a polyigamous relationship is greater then the other. It's like any other relationship...it's all about equality. The thing I love about it is that it pushes the limits on open-ness in a relationship. Personally, I find that many monogamous relationships have a small area of trust. By that, I mean that, being the carnal beings we are, there is a wide window to lead to cheating. In a polygamous relationship, there really isn't any fear of admitting "I like such and such, and I want to sleep with them*. You can communicate that with your partner(s) and know that, in most cases your partner(s) would approve. Again, I say this isn't for everybody...because some actually do have the ability to stay with one person, and are fine with one person. The thing I'm attracted to polygamy about is that, partners are free to come and go as they please. The other misconception about polygamy is it's all about sexual behavior; about big orgies, about sex parties...that's not always true. I mean, there are some out there that are all about the physical rub and tug...but a lot of it is about emotional connection.

Oh, no, that's exactly what I was saying, lol. You may have misread -- I'm saying that I'm unable to hold a relationship like that up on my part, largely because I would cling to one person.
The equality I'd have to balance between more than one other person is something I'm emotionally unable to do -- that's precisely what I admire about polygamy! :O The balance between all persons is incredibly admirable.

Oh geez...I'm so sorry...ugh...I'm really high right now...so I tend to misread and stretch out things... *goes off to find silly puddy and newspapers to stretch* xd  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:41 pm
humble_gypsy_traveller
The Girl Prince
humble_gypsy_traveller
The Girl Prince

Oh geez...I'm so sorry...ugh...I'm really high right now...so I tend to misread and stretch out things... *goes off to find silly puddy and newspapers to stretch* xd

rofl Hey, sounds like a party! xd  

The Girl Prince

Dapper Friend

humble_gypsy_traveller

Business Sex Symbol

9,250 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Trader 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:08 pm
The Girl Prince
humble_gypsy_traveller
The Girl Prince
humble_gypsy_traveller
The Girl Prince

rofl Hey, sounds like a party! xd

Yeah...I hope it dies down though...it's so darn good that I'll wake up tomorrow and forget all about it *sigh*  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:51 pm
Since I was raised by polyamorous parents, I never saw anything wrong with someone loving more than one person at once. I knew "normal," people stuck with one each, but, I had been assured that sometimes that's enough, sometimes it's not.
I was raised to think poly-amory is about trust and love, loving your partner(s) enough to share them so they can be as fulfilled (spiritually, emotionally, sexually), as they need to be in order to be happy. But I don't just like poly-amory because my parents live that way (All six of them). It's because I've never met anyone as happy in monogamy as even "unhappy" Poly people.
I honestly cannot see myself happy and fulfilled in a closed, monogamous relationship. I'm too bratty and need too much attention to be happy for one person to handle without saying I'm too clingy and annoying and getting rid of me. My idea of a dream life is having a wife and a husband I live with, in an open relationship, with a few kids and pets.  

Cassy3v3lyn

Lonely Lover

18,625 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Budding Witch 250

Blackrose_Knight

Devoted Pirate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:34 pm
GrecianPrincessNerd
Since I was raised by polyamorous parents, I never saw anything wrong with someone loving more than one person at once. I knew "normal," people stuck with one each, but, I had been assured that sometimes that's enough, sometimes it's not.
I was raised to think poly-amory is about trust and love, loving your partner(s) enough to share them so they can be as fulfilled (spiritually, emotionally, sexually), as they need to be in order to be happy. But I don't just like poly-amory because my parents live that way (All six of them). It's because I've never met anyone as happy in monogamy as even "unhappy" Poly people.
I honestly cannot see myself happy and fulfilled in a closed, monogamous relationship. I'm too bratty and need too much attention to be happy for one person to handle without saying I'm too clingy and annoying and getting rid of me. My idea of a dream life is having a wife and a husband I live with, in an open relationship, with a few kids and pets.
How did your parents approach this with you? I am poly, and most likely will be the rest of my life. While I am Childfree, I would not mind my primer partner (aka my husband) and I forming a triad with another lady and she can have is children.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:36 pm
Shanna66
Blackrose_Knight
Shanna66

ive always hated that phrase
Same. I am all "well, if I went all this way to attain cake you bet your a** I am gonna eat it."

yup, not much point in having cake if you cant eat it lol
As a weird tangent I looked up the actual phrase and what it meant. A better phrasing is "You cannot eat your cake and have it too." Meaning if you eat your cake you no longer "have" it in your possession, 'cause its in your tummy. blaugh  

Blackrose_Knight

Devoted Pirate

Cassy3v3lyn

Lonely Lover

18,625 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Budding Witch 250
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:41 pm
Blackrose_Knight
GrecianPrincessNerd
How did your parents approach this with you? I am poly, and most likely will be the rest of my life. While I am Childfree, I would not mind my primer partner (aka my husband) and I forming a triad with another lady and she can have is children.

Well, first they assured us that it is entirely possible to love more than one person (In a really cutesy parenty way).
Then we were slowly introduced to the new partner, Kenny, as a friend. Reiterating the "You can love more than one person," thing, they told us that Mom was dating Kenny while still in love with Dad. Since they'd talked and been gentle and gradual, and we were very open kids, we welcomed him, and personally asked him to move with all of us when we had to move.
In your situation, though, the kids would likely grow up in the environment, and all you'd have to do is be honest, open, and gentle about everything. And consider them your own children. My... "Extra" I guess parents always introduce themselves as step-parents and such, even if they have only known me a few months, like Peg.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:46 pm
GrecianPrincessNerd

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! It's really interesting to hear first-hand about living with polyamorous parents. 3nodding  

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Blackrose_Knight

Devoted Pirate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:01 pm
GrecianPrincessNerd

I agree with Taeryyn on this one. Thank you so much for sharing. Kids are at least 10 years down the road so... but still it is good to know that someone can do it and not ******** up their kid.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:23 pm
I respect those who can make a polygamist relationship work.
I don't think it would be for me. I'm kinda clingy  

Lifty_Raccoon

Timid Genius

1,950 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:28 pm
I don't think I'd be happy in a poly relationship, although it's obviously a good fit for others. I find the concept really interesting, though, and I enjoy seeing others share their stories, good and bad.

It seems to me that when polyamorous or polygamist relationships are depicted in movies or on TV, they're usually shown as being misogynistic and unhealthy. While there are certainly plenty of real-life examples of that (Warren Jeffs and the FLDS, for example), I don't think it's fair that so much attention is given to the negative examples. I think everyone personally knows at least one ******** or seriously unhealthy monogamous couple, but nobody assumes that they're representative of monogamy as a whole.

Polygamy (not just polyamoury) is practiced by a fictional race of people (the Aiel) in one of my favourite series of books, The Wheel of Time, and I think the author's depiction is largely a positive one. It's a very matriarchal society, though, so while women can share a husband, I don't believe two men can share a wife.  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff