Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Magical Name Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:13 am
AniMajor

I don't think that trying to make a political/religious/ethical statement with your name is a good idea.
I'll let you debate that with my Baba.

whiporwill-o

i think i would be fine if someone chose the name for themselves, i do not agree with parents trying to make such a statement with their child's name. they may not grow up to agree with the same views.
Children don't always get what they want.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:44 am
TeaDidikai
whiporwill-o

i think i would be fine if someone chose the name for themselves, i do not agree with parents trying to make such a statement with their child's name. they may not grow up to agree with the same views.
Children don't always get what they want.

true enough, i just don't think it's fair. *shrugs*  

whiporwill-o

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:53 am
whiporwill-o
i just don't think it's fair. *shrugs*
Oh? Why is that?  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:06 pm
TeaDidikai
whiporwill-o
i just don't think it's fair. *shrugs*
Oh? Why is that?

i suppose one way to look at it is that the parent is imposing their personal beliefs on their child. true, the child came from them and is (ah, i forgot the word i was gonna use gonk ) bound? to said parents until of age and the child [then adult] moves out, but the child is still a person. he or she will grow and will become entitled to his or her own beliefs about the way things should be or how they should be expressed and giving them a name at birth that may or may not support their life choices in adulthood, i think, is unfair.

ugh, i am not having any luck trying to articulate this train of thought. i tried thinking of an example too, but i just can't right now, i didn't sleep well last night and it's affecting my brain. gonk

and i had another thought too, but i forgot it before i was able to type it. emo i'll add it if i remember.  

whiporwill-o

AniMajor

8,000 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:05 pm
Aino Ailill
AniMajor
Once, someone came into where I worked with the name Peace Everlasting. He paid with a debit card so his name came up on the screen, and he showed me his ID (even though we don't require it) in order to convince me that it was his real name.

I don't think that trying to make a political/religious/ethical statement with your name is a good idea.

Why?

I think it's not so much as naming a person (or yourself) due to your specific beliefs, it's when you name yourself in a way so that you draw attention to yourself so that you can show how cool you think you are. It's like naming yourself Abortion-is-Murder Jones. It's like you're looking for conflict. Like those parents who named their kids after neo-Nazi concepts.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:46 pm
AniMajor
Aino Ailill
AniMajor
Once, someone came into where I worked with the name Peace Everlasting. He paid with a debit card so his name came up on the screen, and he showed me his ID (even though we don't require it) in order to convince me that it was his real name.

Why?

I think it's not so much as naming a person (or yourself) due to your specific beliefs, it's when you name yourself in a way so that you draw attention to yourself so that you can show how cool you think you are. It's like naming yourself Abortion-is-Murder Jones. It's like you're looking for conflict. Like those parents who named their kids after neo-Nazi concepts.

What if you are doing it not because you want to show off how 'cool' you are but because you want your name to be an accurate description of yourself and/or you want to provoke discussion?  

Aino Ailill

AniMajor

8,000 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:57 pm
Aino Ailill
AniMajor
Aino Ailill
AniMajor

Why?

What if you are doing it not because you want to show off how 'cool' you are but because you want your name to be an accurate description of yourself and/or you want to provoke discussion?

I'd hope that people are a little more complicated than a cause they subscribe to. There are also better ways to provoke discussion than making people think about an issue every time you tell someone your name.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:17 pm
AniMajor
Aino Ailill
AniMajor
Aino Ailill
AniMajor

Why?

I'd hope that people are a little more complicated than a cause they subscribe to. There are also better ways to provoke discussion than making people think about an issue every time you tell someone your name.

They might be more complicated, but it doesn't seem all too unreasonable for there to be some people who devote themselves to one cause.

Provoking thought about an issue every time a name is mentioned seems like an effective way to provoke discussion about it. And even if it is not the most effective method, why should that mean one ought to not do it at all?

Aino Ailill

AniMajor

8,000 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:37 pm
Aino Ailill
They might be more complicated, but it doesn't seem all too unreasonable for there to be some people who devote themselves to one cause.

Provoking thought about an issue every time a name is mentioned seems like an effective way to provoke discussion about it. And even if it is not the most effective method, why should that mean one ought to not do it at all?

I feel like it's telling people that it's much more important that you're involved in a cause, than what the cause is supposed to be for. I'm not saying that people shouldn't do it, it is their name after all. I'm saying that it doesn't look like they're devoted, it looks like they're trying to hard.

While it's not fair to judge a person on their name, it just doesn't seem like a name from a cause isn't going to provoke discussion, it's either going to provoke indifference or anger. It doesn't matter how nice or personable the person is, I don't want to talk to someone named something offensive to me.
I'm having a lot of trouble with the reply box, hold on.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:34 pm
AniMajor
Aino Ailill

I feel like it's telling people that it's much more important that you're involved in a cause, than what the cause is supposed to be for. I'm not saying that people shouldn't do it, it is their name after all. I'm saying that it doesn't look like they're devoted, it looks like they're trying to hard.

I don't agree with this assessment. Why would it seem like they are more devoted to being involved in a cause than to the cause itself?

Quote:
While it's not fair to judge a person on their name, it just doesn't seem like a name from a cause isn't going to provoke discussion, it's either going to provoke indifference or anger. It doesn't matter how nice or personable the person is, I don't want to talk to someone named something offensive to me.

I see it as an easy conversation piece and thus likely to provoke discussion.
If the person's cause is so offensive to you, and the person is devoted enough to the cause to see it as part of their identity (as they would if e named e's self with it), should you equally not want to talk to the person? In such a case, is not the warning the name provides a blessing of sorts?

...reminds me of the FML in which a person was finally brought along to the boyfriend's exclusive club...that turned out to be the KKK. I name of 'N~ Suck' or 'KKK FTW' would have made the issue moot.

Quote:

What sort?  

Aino Ailill

AniMajor

8,000 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:00 pm
Aino Ailill
AniMajor

I don't agree with this assessment. Why would it seem like they are more devoted to being involved in a cause than to the cause itself?

Because you don't need to change your name to be devoted to a cause, and changing your name to reflect your devotion is for other people. If I changed my name to Atheist or PureAryan or IDon'tLikeGlennBeck, it doesn't change how I feel about any of those causes (not that I ascribe to all of those causes), all it does is show others that I believe in those causes.

Quote:
Quote:

I see it as an easy conversation piece and thus likely to provoke discussion.
If the person's cause is so offensive to you, and the person is devoted enough to the cause to see it as part of their identity (as they would if e named e's self with it), should you equally not want to talk to the person? In such a case, is not the warning the name provides a blessing of sorts?

...reminds me of the FML in which a person was finally brought along to the boyfriend's exclusive club...that turned out to be the KKK. I name of 'N~ Suck' or 'KKK FTW' would have made the issue moot.

I have issues with people who base their identity around a cause anyway, regardless of the cause.

I don't understand why someone would purposefully label themselves in a way where people will not judge them fairly.

Quote:
Quote:

What sort?

It wasn't letting me erase stuff, and then it wouldn't let me type. I also edited that other post like three times, and it wouldn't change it. It seems to be better now.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:44 am
One of the reasons I have heard given for the use of a magical name was for the sake of anonymity. Especially if you share personal contact information (address and phone number) and live in an area that your personal beliefs might not be socially acceptable.  

kyndryana3

10,550 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hygienic 200

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:13 pm
TeaDidikai
Let's start by examining why people would choose to rename themselves.

I renamed myself due to my given name not quite fitting me as well as my chosen name does. Granted, it was a slight change, but significant to me.

And at this point, Deoridhe might as well be my name. It certainly has more significance than my given name originally did (my given name was chosen for being unusual but familiar, and short).  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:45 am
Synnthetika
I don't really know anything about hypnosis, but would it be possible to induce a state of hypnosis so often and relate it to a trigger-word so that one would eventually be able to just chant, think, say the word and it induce a hypnotic state?

Are there specific traditions that require the use of a "magical name"? Is it more of a personal choice?

There are many things that can be used to trigger such a state. I believe there is a term floating around called "anchoring", which is using various things to trigger a reaction in the brain to cause something. It may be a psionics term, if I'm not mistaken, but I believe it can be used to apply to this, as it's the effect it's after, not so much how it can be used.

As for a name, some may, but I don't think it's necessary. Some eclectic paths may choose to do so, if so, kudo's to them. Personally, I don't have a "magical name", used in rituals in the like. However, after a while, I noted that my "deities", have called me by a rather old nickname of mine (it's been... I'd say something like 7 years now, give or take), and it wasn't even given to me by a friend, rather, an individual on Gaia who was handing out nicknames in a thread through the chatterbox. Needless to say, it stuck, and I've been using it in various thing since. The name has no incredible attachment, aside that I like the way it sounds. It's how my "deities" address me, so other than that, it's largely for entertainment use.  

Aydenfyre

StillBored123

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:29 pm
This might just sound silly to you guys, but to me I think that you can have a magical name and your name your parents gave you and you know not run into the issue of "well I dont like my name". Because if you have them both you can be called lets say your magical name by some people and your er real name by family and parents and people of that nature.

Example and in no way does this have anything to do with any sort of magic or what ever.
My friends have grown used to calling me "Peppercorn" and even some people who weren't in on the joke call me it. Completely random I know, but it doesn't bother me. I think it is kind of funny.
And then I come home and I'm Katelyn again.

So back to my point, can't you have them both be called them both as your "real" names, and not have any problems?  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff