Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Wrong to celebrate both? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Chat_God

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:07 am
I don't think it's wrong at all to celebrate both. As a matter of fact, it seems rather odd to me that most Pagans (to my knowledge which is, admittedly, a very small amount of knowledge) don't incorporate aspects of Christianity into their worship. I'm not exactly a fan of Christianity as a religion, but I don't see any reason that a Psalm can't be recited during a ritual or something like that. So why not combine holidays? For that matter, why not celebrate every holiday you know of? Life's always better when you've got something to be happy about, after all, and holidays aren't about presents for most people. (Even though presents is a bonus and some people might think I'm nutters for saying this.) The holidays are about the anticipation of spending time with your loved ones, the spreading of joy and good cheer, and just generally being the kindest, warmest person you can. Being happy and spreading it like a bad case of TB.

On a more personal note, I dig my heels in on this issue when it comes to myself. I absolutely refuse to celebrate any sort of a holiday that occurs after Thanksgiving and before the 26th of December, but there is a reason for it. (Albeit not a terribly good one, but at least I've got one! x.x; ) Come to think of it... I think that Thanksgiving is the only holiday I really ever celebrate anymore. O.o Well, that and the Super Bowl, but that's not technically a holiday. XD  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:43 pm
The_Lost_Night_Alchemist
So I'm not totaly sure on what religion I am.
I've decided that I will attend church with my friend, study Christianity and on the side study Paganism as I have for three years.
I just want to get everyone's view on this though: Would it be wrong of me to celebrate both Yule and Christmas?
There are certain aspects of the two holidays that seperate them but all in all it's pretty much about welcoming and celebrating the birth of a God right?

I celebrate both. I don't see the harm in it.

I tell people that I leave Christ out of Christmas, because I know he would have wanted it that way. biggrin

Seriously, though.. I don't think anyone's head will explode if you celebrate both holidays.  

cambrylyd

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:03 pm
Chat_God
I don't think it's wrong at all to celebrate both. As a matter of fact, it seems rather odd to me that most Pagans (to my knowledge which is, admittedly, a very small amount of knowledge) don't incorporate aspects of Christianity into their worship. I'm not exactly a fan of Christianity as a religion, but I don't see any reason that a Psalm can't be recited during a ritual or something like that. So why not combine holidays? For that matter, why not celebrate every holiday you know of?
For a lot of us it is a function of the fact that YHVH is not our god, we are not his people and thus- he plays in his corner of the sand box and we play in ours.

Do have prohibitions against eating pork and wearing blended fabrics? Why use one part of a religion and ignore the context?
Quote:
Life's always better when you've got something to be happy about, after all, and holidays aren't about presents for most people. (Even though presents is a bonus and some people might think I'm nutters for saying this.) The holidays are about the anticipation of spending time with your loved ones, the spreading of joy and good cheer, and just generally being the kindest, warmest person you can. Being happy and spreading it like a bad case of TB.
Strikes me that one need not have a holiday to use as an excuse, no?
Quote:

On a more personal note, I dig my heels in on this issue when it comes to myself. I absolutely refuse to celebrate any sort of a holiday that occurs after Thanksgiving and before the 26th of December, but there is a reason for it. (Albeit not a terribly good one, but at least I've got one! x.x; ) Come to think of it... I think that Thanksgiving is the only holiday I really ever celebrate anymore. O.o Well, that and the Super Bowl, but that's not technically a holiday. XD
Ummm... why?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:22 pm
i never saw any problem in celebrating both sets of holidays. especially since i do cause my family is catholic. it' not like ur betraying anything just because ur being open to other religious celebrations. ur just being accepting & open  

wicked_faery

Fashionable Phantom

8,200 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:15 pm
I guess it all boils down to Secular v. Religious holidays, eh?  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:26 pm
TeaDidikai
there is no versus about it. u celebrate ur own holidays religiously or what have u. & if u want to partake in some other religion's holidays cause ur family does, ur friends invite u to join them, or just out of habit (example: celebrating christmas cause u grew up catholic & have always celebrated christmas). no versus, no confrontation. just partaking in other holidays for w/e the reason.  

wicked_faery

Fashionable Phantom

8,200 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:35 pm
wicked_faery
TeaDidikai
there is no versus about it. u celebrate ur own holidays religiously or what have u. & if u want to partake in some other religion's holidays cause ur family does, ur friends invite u to join them, or just out of habit (example: celebrating christmas cause u grew up catholic & have always celebrated christmas). no versus, no confrontation. just partaking in other holidays for w/e the reason.
Verses, in the sense that it is either one, or the other. I have family who have me down for Christmas. It's a secular holiday to me in so much that it isn't a religious holidy of mine.

Understand?  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:20 am
TeaDidikai
wicked_faery
TeaDidikai
Verses, in the sense that it is either one, or the other. I have family who have me down for Christmas. It's a secular holiday to me in so much that it isn't a religious holidy of mine.

Understand?
yes that's what i was stating. but i don't see any versus about it. a difference yes...but not a versus  

wicked_faery

Fashionable Phantom

8,200 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:17 pm
wicked_faery
yes that's what i was stating. but i don't see any versus about it. a difference yes...but not a versus
You're reading conflict in where there isn't any. rolleyes  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:38 pm
TeaDidikai
wicked_faery
i'm not argueing...i'm stating i don't see it the way u do & that is all.  

wicked_faery

Fashionable Phantom

8,200 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:23 pm
wicked_faery
TeaDidikai
wicked_faery
i'm not argueing...i'm stating i don't see it the way u do & that is all.
And you keep missing the point that I AGREE WITH YOU! Drop the "Tea's Out To Get Me" attitude long enough to get this please.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:27 pm
i celebrate both, and i've been pagan for 2 years now, i see no problem.  

daine_the_wild_mage

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:26 pm
daine_the_wild_mage
i celebrate both, and i've been pagan for 2 years now, i see no problem.
What kind of pagan?

And is it a religious celebration of both, or is one secular?  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
i celebrate Yule as the begining of winter and the birth of the sun (as days get longer), but i also celebrate Cristmass becasue i can't emagin not celebrating it. to me the days between Yule and Cristmass is one big celebration. i also celebrate Ostara and Easter, imbolic and V-day.....^-^ extend the luv. since the holidays have similure meanings and are close togeather i don't see a reason not to celebrate both.  

Neko_Bast

Tricky Cat

19,600 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Forum Regular 100

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:59 am
Neko_Bast
i celebrate Yule as the begining of winter and the birth of the sun (as days get longer), but i also celebrate Cristmass becasue i can't emagin not celebrating it. to me the days between Yule and Cristmass is one big celebration. i also celebrate Ostara and Easter, imbolic and V-day.....^-^ extend the luv. since the holidays have similure meanings and are close togeather i don't see a reason not to celebrate both.
Saint Rapist Valentine's day over Lupercalia?  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff