Welcome to Gaia! ::

Harry Potter Slash Guild

Back to Guilds

HPSG is a guild for the discussion and pure love of all things Harry Potter and slash! Join us in support of your favorite pairing! 

Tags: Harry Potter, slash, Potter, femslash, Harry 

Reply HPSG Head Quarters
Is Canon Destroyed By Fiction? May contain Spoilers! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

rabbit sushi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:07 pm
And this is why I read Marauder era and Next Gen. fic only.

I was so close to ripping out the epilogue until I realised the wonders of AS/S.

Even as someone who doesn't really ship Drarry, I was so, so, so happy with that life saving scene. Then Ginny Sue had to come and ruin it. D:<  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:37 pm
I was very disapointed in the last book with the pairings that were chosen. Except for Ron/Hermione they seemed stranged and rushed.

It was almost like J.K was thinking with Harry, oh right he has to marry somebody and have a bunch of kids as well.

She is agreat author but that just went down the wrong way in the final chapter.

I personally ship Harry/Snape  

Sana-Cutler

Arashi Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:50 am
I do have to say Fic is better than cannon, I mean come on! WHY Ginny?

Since when did Harry have anything in common with her? I'm sorry, but Quiddich and being a Gryffindor just doesn't work. And he had a problem with her in book two, if I remember correctly.... So fic, definately, cause they have all the right pairings, the ones that should've been cannon. (Harry/Draco, Remus/Lupin....)  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:27 am
User Image

Fanfiction ruined me... I kind of refuse to accept what's considered "canon" now... H/G... D: It will NEVER be canon, because it's UNNATURAL.

... I reject JKR's reality, and substitute my own.

User Image

Savvy Bee

Erin Sovenya

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:44 am
To this day, I refuse to accept Remus/Tonks. Unless he married her for her metamorphmagus abilities (to look like Sirius, of course), then I assume love potions, blackmail, or the Imperius was used there. No other way to explain it. I stopped reading DH for about five minutes just to say WTF over and over again (loudly) when I read Tonks and Remus had gotten married. So it just...didn't happen. Fanfics all the way.

And I'm not a Harry/Draco shipper, but really...Harry/Ginny? No. ********. Way. Do you know how often it happens in real life that someone marries their "first love" (Harry was Ginny's first crush) or high school sweetheart? Almost ******** never. Ron/Hermione have that small percentage covered, and at least their relationship almost makes sense. Ugh. Ginny. Thanks Merlin for AS/S.

Also, I refuse to believe Harry would name his children after five dead people and Luna. Except Albus Severus, because its just too funny to ignore.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:49 am
Fiction so ruined me!

I've read so much of it that sometimes, while re-reading one of the books, I actually expect Harry to be pinned down by Snape or something! xp

Then when I read DH...I was like WTF?! scream I was in shock, like my mind couldn't compute the fact that Harry actually got with Ginny! eek

I don't remember which book it was, but when Harry first showed an interest in Ginny, I thought it was cute and all because of the way Rowling described Harry's thoughts and behavior...but that was before I had discovered the joys of fanfiction...dark times, I tell you... emo

Now though, I seriously get mad, and though it's probably childish to get unreasonably angry over a book, I don't care! Ginny should have just died in the 2nd book!!! stressed (Sorry to any Ginny fans out there, I tend to get a bit carried away...I don't actually hate her, the actress who plays her is becoming quite attractive wink ...I just don't like her when she goes anywhere near Harry... sweatdrop )

As for the whole Remus/Tonks thing...what's that all about?! Where did it even come from? (Most likely Rowling's a**!!!) I mean, Rowling is was like a God to me...but this pairing seemed to literally come out of nowhere. Like I said before, I think we all know where she pulled it out of! xd

Back to my hatred for Harry/Ginny...what is up with all the kiddies they had?! I'm sorry, but their names seemed like they were also pulled out the wee-crevices of Rowling's you-know what! (Lol, instead of you-know who! lol )

There's a simple solution to the canon blues, though, my friends, and that is fanfiction, accessible to any and all who have Internet and non-nosy parents who don't check the computer's history! (Lucky for me though, my parents don't even know how to turn it on! surprised )

Huzza for fanfiction! 4laugh Where would I be without it? Meh...I'd probably be an innocent little girl who reads the bible! Hahahahaha! rofl Seriously though...so not happening! stare

Anywho, sorry for the long rant, but as I said in my profile, I'll babble away when it comes to Harry Potter! *gushes like a school girl* domokun  

Kirby_Komatose

Konohashinobi07

Dedicated Regular

5,450 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Streaker 200
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:14 pm
i agree with you. i can't stand Ginny with Harry. i prefer Harry with Draco. it just seems so natural...and hotter. they say rivals make the best lovers. the same goes for Remus and Tonks. i think it's funny that they got married and had a child. but i would rather have Remus with Sirius. Wolf and Dog go together...mind, body, and soul.

queerduck
Okay, so, I was thinking the other day, about my favorite Harry Potter ships. And I realized, thanks to fiction, I won't ship Draco with anybody.

Now, normally this wouldn't be a problem, seeing as how Draco doesn't really have a relationship with anyone, except maybe for Pansy. (Ew.)

Ah, but here's the catch:

I won't ship Draco with anyone but Harry.

Now, don't get me wrong. I love Harry Potter. I really, and truly do. But everytime I hear about Harry "falling in love" with Ginny, I'm screaming inside about how "No, no, no! He loves DRACO! Draco, Draco, DRACO!"

It makes cannon seem so...silly?

I just about DIED during the Epilogue.

So, basically, what I'm trying to say, is:

Does anyone else feel this way when reading the book, or het. fiction?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:22 pm
i would agree with you. WHY GINNY? at the end, i think you meant to say Remus/Black, Lupin is Remus' last name. i agree all the same. heart Harry/Draco, Sirius/Remus should've been canon. heart

Arashi Cloud
I do have to say Fic is better than cannon, I mean come on! WHY Ginny?

Since when did Harry have anything in common with her? I'm sorry, but Quiddich and being a Gryffindor just doesn't work. And he had a problem with her in book two, if I remember correctly.... So fic, definately, cause they have all the right pairings, the ones that should've been cannon. (Harry/Draco, Remus/Lupin....)

Konohashinobi07

Dedicated Regular

5,450 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Streaker 200
  • Marathon 300

Konohashinobi07

Dedicated Regular

5,450 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Streaker 200
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:40 pm
everyone should read Stay In Your Life by Namaresca, True Feelings of a Madman by mistressmarauder7, In Need of Safety by MLissagirl, and Changing Sides by XshadowXvampiressX on fanfiction.net. everyone should also read Girls by pluto on mugglenet.com  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:17 am
I definately have read fics that have been of such high quality that I've after a while confused them with the sixth and seventh book, plotwise. When it comes to the canon pairs being "in the way", so to speak, I just elegantly overlook them when reading slash. I love the canon pairings as well, just not in fanfic. I don't read fic with canon pairings, because they're already there in the books.  

Shinju Umiko

Rainbow Reveler

17,575 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Nerd 50

Nicky Cade

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:09 pm
queerduck
Okay, so, I was thinking the other day, about my favorite Harry Potter ships. And I realized, thanks to fiction, I won't ship Draco with anybody.

Now, normally this wouldn't be a problem, seeing as how Draco doesn't really have a relationship with anyone, except maybe for Pansy. (Ew.)

Ah, but here's the catch:

I won't ship Draco with anyone but Harry.

Now, don't get me wrong. I love Harry Potter. I really, and truly do. But everytime I hear about Harry "falling in love" with Ginny, I'm screaming inside about how "No, no, no! He loves DRACO! Draco, Draco, DRACO!"

It makes cannon seem so...silly?

I just about DIED during the Epilogue.

So, basically, what I'm trying to say, is:

Does anyone else feel this way when reading the book, or het. fiction?
I feel that way about some pairings, I suppose. I'm not behind Remus/Tonks at all; it seemed rushed and like it was just a ploy to make what happened to them in the end more sad and dramatic. It also really bothered me that in the epilogue the characters were cemented in rushed pairings with x amount of children and so on.

That being said, I'm not an "OTP!" type of person, so seeing a pairing I don't like be made canon doesn't bother me so much, as I read it knowing I'll find something I like better in fanon later. I like reading about my favorite characters in various pairings with other favorites. I spend more time in fanon than canon anyway.

I don't think canon is ruined by the popular fan pairings, I think it provides a good alternative. If you like canon, go with it. But if you prefer a fanon pairing the books are there for you to read between the lines and enjoy biggrin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:57 am
I don't think that my disliking canon couples is directly related to my liking slash.

It's just that the slash I like is exactly what I like. And Canon is hit or miss.  

Belial the Worthless

The Insane Azrael

6,900 Points
  • Heckler 50
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:52 am
I don't think that my love of fics destroys my canon tastes.
I prefer to mix my canon with my fiction actually.....

For example, yeah Harry and Ginny get together in the books, but if you like Harry and Draco together then the Epilogue opens up a world of angsty possibilities.

Or in my case:
Spoiler if you haven't seen or read the Deathly Hallows yet.

I think that Harry naming his kind Albus Severus , adds to one of my favorite ships, because he named his son after the man he loved dearly..... smile

I actually like Remus and Tonks together..Something about their relationship really appeals to me.

Though I'd honestly ship Remus and Severus together any day over that.
And maybe even Tonks and Hermione.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:23 pm
Just deny it ever happened lol  

hallow mirror

Familiar Dabbler

16,275 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Brandisher 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100

tfwbtr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:31 am
Haydn Phoenix
yes, only the one I can't stand is Ron/Hermy... I keep thinking "NO! Hermione should be with Luna and Ron should be celibate..."

I love you!! mrgreen  
HPSG Head Quarters

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces