Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
The Runic Corner Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 9 10 11 12 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:49 am
Elhaz  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:50 am
Sowelo  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:52 am
Tiwaz  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:55 am
Berkano  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:58 am
Ehwaz  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:01 am
Manaz  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:02 am
Lagaz  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:09 am
Ingwaz  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:10 am
Dagaz  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:11 am
Othilo  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:42 pm
sweatdrop Sorry about creating a topic and then ditching it for a week.

As an opener, I was wondering, what does everyone associate with the runes or know about them, and what sort of things would people like to learn?  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:00 pm
I’d like to mention that in the short time that I worked with runes, I found the “blank” rune to be pointless. Worthless and stupid, in fact. 3nodding  

Cloverina

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:44 pm
Cloverina
I’d like to mention that in the short time that I worked with runes, I found the “blank” rune to be pointless. Worthless and stupid, in fact. 3nodding
crying Don't even get me STARTED on that travesty! The "blank" rune was something Ralph Blume invented so that the runes would be base five, which US society is more used to, instead of base 12, which is what the anchient norse preferred. Blume also, coincidentally, made up wholesale all of the runes and the order he put them in, and put in his forward that there was no information on them, which set me back about five years because I believed him. stressed I despise Blume.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:10 am
Deoridhe
Cloverina
crying Don't even get me STARTED on that travesty! The "blank" rune was something Ralph Blume invented so that the runes would be base five, which US society is more used to, instead of base 12, which is what the anchient norse preferred. Blume also, coincidentally, made up wholesale all of the runes and the order he put them in, and put in his forward that there was no information on them, which set me back about five years because I believed him. stressed I despise Blume.

My thoughts about the "blank" rune are basically the same as these:

Hazel from Women of Wyrd
It is assigned the same meaning as Perthro, making it useless. Perthro is the rune of mysteries, of the hidden, and therefore the Wyrd. Add to that the fact that a 'blank' rune is impossible in Galdr practices (what is the sound of nothing?), and in the making of bindrunes (How do one prove the use of a blank in a bindrune, or is it assumed to just always be there?), I can't see the point of using it. It's like pointing to the spaces inbetween words and assigning a
meaning to the blanks.

And about Blum, I'm with ya. I despise Blum. I remember my first book about the runes I got about.. eh.. maybe two years ago. I was Wiccan (emphasis on was), and I was curious about them. I went to Borders and got my dad to buy me this book called "The Healing Runes". I figured, "Hey, this sounds good, I think I'll like it" but it was not to be. I got extremely offended at this one particular quote in the book. (even as I was at the time focusing primarily on the Greek gods and not the Nordic ones. I wasn't even interested in them at the time. Things certainly have changed lol.)

The Healing Runes
Now, with a resurgence of desire for a closer relationship with the Divine, the oracular tradition will be understood for what it truly is and, in time, restored to it's rightful place in the lives of God's people

I was just so offended when he basically said that they belonged to "God's people" like the Christian God actually created them. I understand that he's Christian and I understand he feels he has to fit them in with his god, but gonk oi vey.

He skewed the meanings horribly (if I am not mistaken. If I am, please correct me). In the book he puts Fehu as meaning honesty, Thurisaz as wisdom, Othala as grief, and many others are just messed up. I'm certainly no source for the best information on the runes as I have only recently started my path with the runes, but every book, every source I have read says something different. Anyway.. must get sleep. It's 5:00 in the morning *sigh* Ah yes, I remember my question. I've seen the first aett labeled "Freyr's aett" but also "Freyja's aett". Which is correct? Now I can sleep.  

The Lilitu

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:40 am
The Lilitu
My thoughts about the "blank" rune are basically the same as these:
Hazel from Women of Wyrd
It is assigned the same meaning as Perthro, making it useless. Perthro is the rune of mysteries, of the hidden, and therefore the Wyrd. Add to that the fact that a 'blank' rune is impossible in Galdr practices (what is the sound of nothing?), and in the making of bindrunes (How do one prove the use of a blank in a bindrune, or is it assumed to just always be there?), I can't see the point of using it. It's like pointing to the spaces inbetween words and assigning a
meaning to the blanks.

The "blank" rune also absorbed some of the meanings of Ansuz, which is Odin's rune, but yes, it's essentially useless because what he had it relate to already exists within the Elder Futhark.

The Lilitu
[Bloom] skewed the meanings horribly (if I am not mistaken. If I am, please correct me). In the book he puts Fehu as meaning honesty, Thurisaz as wisdom, Othala as grief, and many others are just messed up. I'm certainly no source for the best information on the runes as I have only recently started my path with the runes, but every book, every source I have read says something different.

He ignored the rune poems, which are some of the only information we have on the actual runes. I include the verses for each rune in my overviews (the one from the Havamal, btw, is not an authoritarian assignment; those reference the eighteen runes Odin said he knew that each did something different, and there is much dispute over whether the assignments are accurate). So yes, trust Edred Thorsson and Kveldulf Gundarsson much more; both have Ph.D. in ancient languages and culture. 3nodding But don't take them as final authority, 'cause that's just dumb. No one is a final authority.

The Lilitu
Ah yes, I remember my question. I've seen the first aett labeled "Freyr's aett" but also "Freyja's aett". Which is correct? Now I can sleep.

I'm note sure. I've not done much with the concept of aetts so far, so I'm not sure where the assignment of them came from. It could be a confusion due to the first letter of the name or the sound of the aett; Friday, for instance, is attributed to both Frey and Freya because of the "frey" sound at the beginning of it.

Hopefully, someone who's focused more on that will show up, or if I find one such as that I'll ask.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 9 10 11 12 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff