The bible is...
  actual word of god
  inspired by god
  written by people who witnessed the acts of god
View Results

ioioouiouiouio

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:41 pm
Jedediah Smith
Basically what you are saying is that even if there is one statement in the Bible that doesn't come from God.

Actually, I think he was pointing out the errors in the blanket statement that I made.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:54 pm
Tangled Up In Blue
Jedediah Smith
You cant overwrite theology with logic in Christianity.

Allow me to make sure I understand you properly: You're saying that God inspired Paul to write that he had received no specific information from the Lord on the subject of virginity, and that he was merely giving a 'trustworthy' opinion on the matter, when in fact Paul's 'opinion' was actually the inspired Word of God and, in fact, a direct, although disguised, statement of God's will. Seems unnecessarily complicated. Why wouldn't God have simply given Paul a direct command and spared us the confusion.

Haha, awesome. You hit the nail on the head, God wouldn't have confused us like that.  

immanuelkant

immanuelkant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:59 pm
chickenlipsRfun2eat

The OT is the God-Breathed.
The NT is the People written.

But then when you read the bible,
wether it be the OT or NT, as long as you do understand it and
do apply it to life, that is what I call the Word Of God.

Do you have scripture to support that assumption? What about this passage:
Revelation 1:1-2
The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show to his servants the things that must soon take place. He made it known by sending his angel to his servant John, who bore witness to the word of God and to the testimony of Jesus Christ, even to all that he saw.

So... would you call that a lie by men inside the "word of God" that it describes itself to be and that Jesus attests to through his word in the book? And if you can't trust Jesus's words in this book, how can you any the gospels? Then how can you be saved by Christ at all if the NT is just propoganda written by people? And so what would the OT matter because the Messiah has not really come and the Law of God is useless. Without the NT, the OT falls apart.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:01 pm
Cometh The Inquisitor
Personally, I believe that the original Bible (as it was dictated to it's writers in Koine Greek and ancient Hebrew) is and was the pure, unadultered word of God. However, through the myriad of translations, as well as the changing cultures, certain parts of the Bible can only be fully understood by looking at the words of the original language and their cultural context.

I would... pretty much agree with that. I would say that there are many words from Hebrew and Greek that we don't have a real definition for in English and other languages so we can't do it justice. We may have lost some of the weight, but I believe that scripture (since we do have the original text to work from and cite and support our current translations) is still 99% accurate to the original meanings. I don't personally believe that God has a language, so I think he is free to speak in whatever tongue he wants. Especially since parts of the Bible are in Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek, and I think there's some other one too, but that's 3 right there at least.  

immanuelkant

torrinne

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:50 am
I believe that while the bible is God-inspired, it is not, and was not ever, the pure word of god, unless you can find me some scripture that says that God took a personal hand in the writing of the bible. As long as it is "God said this to me, telling me to do thus and so, and I wrote it down for the rest of you to follow", there is room for plenty of error, exaggeration, and twisting of the pure word. Then, on top of that, there have been errors--proven, documented errors--in the translation of the bible that have influenced our understanding of the Bible today. Now, I'm not trying to diss the bible, or say that it's a bunch of lies. I'm just saying that you can't read it with your brain turned off, and that you may need to take some of it with a grain of salt.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:41 pm
To me, God speaks to me through His word...  

Atarashi No Sensei

Debate and Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces