Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Polyglot's and Linguist's Guild

Back to Guilds

A place where people learning languages or studying linguistics can come to discuss and hang out! 

Tags: language, linguistics, polyglot, linguist, foreign languages 

Reply The Polyglot's and Linguist's Guild
Your "foreign" name Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The_Brightest_Moon
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:25 pm
Isn't it something like black butler? I've heard that there's a character named Ciel but I just think it'd be a really pretty name, especially in a feminine variation like Cielle  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:47 pm
Oh, gosh, that suddenly reminds me.
If anyone here has ever played or even simply heard of the new Final Fantasy Versus XIII coming out, you may notice that just about all the characters have Latin names.

I would like to point out that these "names" are not real names, but rather, they're poorly thrown together mish-mashes of words that the developers created in an attempt to make the character have meaning. Mismatching cases and incongruent genders are prevalent in these awkward naming conventions, and some of them are just downright silly.

Have you noticed the way some Gaia users (nothing against them, by the way) like to Japanese-ify a fictional name by just using any word they find in a dictionary (or worse, start combining them in ways that don't usually work) and top it all off with an honorific like -san, -kun, -sama, -hime, etc, despite that the characters/words that were included might not necessarily be words that are supposed to be used as a naming convention for people?
Well that's what these names look like to me, one who has studied Latin for quite some time now. They're goofy looking, the cases and genders are just all over the place and they simply don't work well when you're trying to name a person.

In other words, please, please, please don't name yourself in this ridiculous fashion. If you really want a Latin-based name, there are plenty of traditional Roman naming conventions that are not that difficult to figure out. Look them up, or even ask me. I'm always happy to help.

Tc Frorleivus Almus Ph
Captain

6,325 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250

The_Brightest_Moon
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:06 am
Shizuka Mizu
Oh, gosh, that suddenly reminds me.
If anyone here has ever played or even simply heard of the new Final Fantasy Versus XIII coming out, you may notice that just about all the characters have Latin names.

I would like to point out that these "names" are not real names, but rather, they're poorly thrown together mish-mashes of words that the developers created in an attempt to make the character have meaning. Mismatching cases and incongruent genders are prevalent in these awkward naming conventions, and some of them are just downright silly.

Have you noticed the way some Gaia users (nothing against them, by the way) like to Japanese-ify a fictional name by just using any word they find in a dictionary (or worse, start combining them in ways that don't usually work) and top it all off with an honorific like -san, -kun, -sama, -hime, etc, despite that the characters/words that were included might not necessarily be words that are supposed to be used as a naming convention for people?
Well that's what these names look like to me, one who has studied Latin for quite some time now. They're goofy looking, the cases and genders are just all over the place and they simply don't work well when you're trying to name a person.

In other words, please, please, please don't name yourself in this ridiculous fashion. If you really want a Latin-based name, there are plenty of traditional Roman naming conventions that are not that difficult to figure out. Look them up, or even ask me. I'm always happy to help.

Agreed. There's a difference between making up a contemporary name that still make sense (a lot of names are made this way), and just cramming words together that make no sense. I imagine that Ciel could very well be a contemporary name. Something like papillonbleu on the other hand... would not.

Hate it when gaia weeaboos do that to Japanese.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:14 am
The_Brightest_Moon
Agreed. There's a difference between making up a contemporary name that still make sense (a lot of names are made this way), and just cramming words together that make no sense. I imagine that Ciel could very well be a contemporary name. Something like papillonbleu on the other hand... would not.

Hate it when gaia weeaboos do that to Japanese.

I realize that I fall into the category of people who mashed two words together to create a name, and I admit, the name was concocted in a time when I didn't know Japanese all that well.
Regardless, the name stuck (apparently it wasn't all that bad, since all my Japanese friends call me by it, haha).

Anyway, as for Ciel, I don't really know how French naming conventions work. It could be, but I'm not the right person to tell you, so I'mma just keep my mouth shut on that subject. ;p Whether it is or not, it sounds pretty, as French does. I like the way "soleil" sounds, but I'm sure that would make a terrible name for a person. Anyway! More names! I can point out etymologies that haven't been pointed out yet! Etymology skills for the win!

Tc Frorleivus Almus Ph
Captain

6,325 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250

Shiina-kun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:38 am
My username actually came from my Japanese name ("Emiko") and the first syllable of my last name ("Do") haha. Not terribly original, but it's different enough so that I get this username on whatever forum/game I'm on. biggrin  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:06 pm
emikodo
My username actually came from my Japanese name ("Emiko") and the first syllable of my last name ("Do") haha. Not terribly original, but it's different enough so that I get this username on whatever forum/game I'm on. biggrin

Indeed!
Your username often makes me think of the Japanese verb 「微笑む」.
That is just fun to say. 「不幸には微笑まない。」;p

Tc Frorleivus Almus Ph
Captain

6,325 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250

buggsie blue

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:18 pm
I remember back in my freshman year a friend of mine started calling everybody by Japanese "names" which were really just recycled anime character names. Very annoying.
As a side note, the kids in the local Deaf community refuse to give me a name sign because I "have no personality". Although the Deaf kids in St. Pete have given me one. It's a T-handshape (as my real name is Taryn) in a pushing up your glasses to where they should be motion, because they say I ******** with my glasses too much. They get mad if I wear contacts when they introduce me to new people, because the lack of glasses makes the name confusing to new people.
And in my German class, we had to take German names, and i ended up getting "Katrin".  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:19 pm
buggsie blue
I remember back in my freshman year a friend of mine started calling everybody by Japanese "names" which were really just recycled anime character names. Very annoying.
As a side note, the kids in the local Deaf community refuse to give me a name sign because I "have no personality". Although the Deaf kids in St. Pete have given me one. It's a T-handshape (as my real name is Taryn) in a pushing up your glasses to where they should be motion, because they say I ******** with my glasses too much. They get mad if I wear contacts when they introduce me to new people, because the lack of glasses makes the name confusing to new people.
And in my German class, we had to take German names, and i ended up getting "Katrin".

I'm sorry if you find this silly, but I think that's a cool sign name. I love some of the creative sign names that deaf people come up with.
Mine is lame, I guess, but the sign name I've been given is simply "Mizu" spelled out in Japanese Sign Language. Boring, I know.

As for the German name, Katrin, it comes from Greek. Not sure what name/word exactly, but it's likely ultimately of Greek design.

Tc Frorleivus Almus Ph
Captain

6,325 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250

Okier - chan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:30 pm
My name is Alexandra which is Russian, Ukrainian, and Greek.
In greek it means Protector of men? something like that. ^^;;
I chose Uzuki Reiko as my japanese name (okier =reiko backwards)
Uzuki means the fourth lunar month (my birth month, aka april).
My Nisga'a name is going to Raven (the colour) finned killer whale.

.......Typically? No one calls me by my real name anymore. They simply call
me kitt, or kitty. As in Kitten minus the en xD ;;

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:24 pm
Shizuka Mizu
buggsie blue

I'm sorry if you find this silly, but I think that's a cool sign name. I love some of the creative sign names that deaf people come up with.
Mine is lame, I guess, but the sign name I've been given is simply "Mizu" spelled out in Japanese Sign Language. Boring, I know.

As for the German name, Katrin, it comes from Greek. Not sure what name/word exactly, but it's likely ultimately of Greek design.
I guess the name is okay.
I did not know that. In fact when I picked out the name, most of the other names didn't really sound German either. I think some other chick chose "Julia" or something like that.  

buggsie blue

Tc Frorleivus Almus Ph
Captain

6,325 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:05 am
Okier - chan
My name is Alexandra which is Russian, Ukrainian, and Greek.
In greek it means Protector of men? something like that. ^^;;
I chose Uzuki Reiko as my japanese name (okier =reiko backwards)
Uzuki means the fourth lunar month (my birth month, aka april).
My Nisga'a name is going to Raven (the colour) finned killer whale.

.......Typically? No one calls me by my real name anymore. They simply call
me kitt, or kitty. As in Kitten minus the en xD ;;

You were right; ultimately of Greek origin, it combines the words:
ἀλέξειν (aléxein) "to protect" + ἀνήρ, ἀνδρός (anḗr, andrós) "man"
The masculine form being Ἀλέξανδρος (Aléxandros), the feminine being, yep, you guessed it. Ἀλεξάνδρα (Alexándra).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:14 pm
ayoooo
you can call me Ken...well it's actually Kenshiro
I'm half Japanese so I received an American first name, but a Japanese middle name.
It's written as Kenkou(health/healthy)'s ken, bushi(samurai/warrior)'s shi, rou/ro (a simple/common name ending for guys).

健士郎 <-right there

Though I like anime and manga, most of what I enjoy are not typial in the stats or among weeabos. it's meant for everyday Japanese people, so doesn't interest them.

I also hate when people add san, sama, kun....to whatever and whenever. If you're going to speak Japanese, speak it. If you're going to speak English, speak that. You don't see Japanese people adding Mr. Ms. lord...etc when they speak in Japanese.

Or when they give themselves a Japanese name and dislike when others call them by their English name
etc.etc.etc....sorry ranting on an on  

District 69

Tipsy Fatcat

10,000 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Timid 100
  • Super Tipsy 200

Tc Frorleivus Almus Ph
Captain

6,325 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:42 pm
District 69
ayoooo
you can call me Ken...well it's actually Kenshiro
I'm half Japanese so I received an American first name, but a Japanese middle name.
It's written as Kenkou(health/healthy)'s ken, bushi(samurai/warrior)'s shi, rou/ro (a simple/common name ending for guys).

健士郎 <-right there

Though I like anime and manga, most of what I enjoy are not typial in the stats or among weeabos. it's meant for everyday Japanese people, so doesn't interest them.

I also hate when people add san, sama, kun....to whatever and whenever. If you're going to speak Japanese, speak it. If you're going to speak English, speak that. You don't see Japanese people adding Mr. Ms. lord...etc when they speak in Japanese.

Or when they give themselves a Japanese name and dislike when others call them by their English name
etc.etc.etc....sorry ranting on an on

Well you've got your foreign name all figured out.
I am quite familiar with your ranting. I like to lurk about in the International subforums and, yes, I've seen that thread you started about little miss liar. ;p

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:52 pm
District 69

Welcome to the guild Ken. I'm Japanese-American (not half), so I'm in the same situation (American..er.. acutally Greek first name, but Japanese middle name).

My name is written as Emi's emi (smile) and kodomo's ko (child).
笑子
At first my parents wanted 恵美子, but looking back on it, it wouldn't have fit me haha..

I think the only time I've heard a Japanese person mix English and Japanese like that is when my grandmother does that.. but she's 80 and starting to get confused as to whether she's speaking in English or Japanese haha.. It's bad because then you can't understand her in English OR Japanese, since she's mixing them up so much.  

Shiina-kun

District 69

Tipsy Fatcat

10,000 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Timid 100
  • Super Tipsy 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:34 pm
Shizuka Mizu

Well you've got your foreign name all figured out.
I am quite familiar with your ranting. I like to lurk about in the International subforums and, yes, I've seen that thread you started about little miss liar. ;p

ahaha, it's a bit embarrassing that you saw that. I should have really just ignored her. Some people reported me and I ended up in trouble for that.

emikodo

Welcome to the guild Ken. I'm Japanese-American (not half), so I'm in the same situation (American..er.. acutally Greek first name, but Japanese middle name).

My name is written as Emi's emi (smile) and kodomo's ko (child).
笑子
At first my parents wanted 恵美子, but looking back on it, it wouldn't have fit me haha..

I think the only time I've heard a Japanese person mix English and Japanese like that is when my grandmother does that.. but she's 80 and starting to get confused as to whether she's speaking in English or Japanese haha.. It's bad because then you can't understand her in English OR Japanese, since she's mixing them up so much.

thanks for the welcome. I was originally supposed to take on Kenshiro written in the format of Kenshiro of Fist of the North Star. My father's friend suggested it (my father's friend was a nerd for Japan haha) and my mom finally convinced my father to change the kanji.  
The Polyglot's and Linguist's Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff