Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Why are lesbians being left out? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

finfageek

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:27 pm
Esiris
finfageek
I kind of feel the same way, but all in all, we're fighting for the same thing. We're not just fighting for gay males, but we're fighting for the gay community as a whole, and we make that message pretty clear.

It's really only fighting for the same thing when as a community we don't engage in cross marginalization.
Meaning? It's not like we say "Gay men need to be able to marry!" We say "same-sex marriage". So yes, we are fighting for the same thing. I agree, it's a shame that homosexual women aren't publicized as much as homosexual men, and I think they should be. But the POINT of the stories behind the homosexual men aren't just to sympathize with them alone. The message is still the same.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:40 pm
Ithe term "gay community" really bothers me.
neutral
l-g-b- ******** T.
Trans people exist, and usually more discriminated against, and their rights are MUCH more ignored.
I'm not mad at anyone, just sharing a slightly relevant to the topic thought.  

Outremangeur

Dapper Fairy

8,200 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Generous 100

Kebin13

4,950 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:38 pm
I blame the stupid strait guys in the world, they see 2 girls kissing and think it's hot, they see 2 guys kissing and think they are going to burn in hell and are morally wrong.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:09 am
First off, that article posted by Esiris made me laugh. I've always said the only people who could possibly hate on someone for being gay is hiding something. Guess I was right.

I completely agree that gay men get much more attention than gay women. Also most of the time when I see lesbians in media, it's they were good friends first, and it turned into something more.. yeah, I'm sure that happens occasionally.. but most lesbians know they are lesbians. They don't just turn gay for one person.

As for Outremangeur, I completely feel you. I didn't even know transgenders existed until I was like 15, and now at 23 I'm still so confused on what is what. Transgender is such a broad term, and I think the fact that we put so many different categories into it that it makes it more confusing. Seriously, Wikipedia the word transgender. I've never been so confused trying to sort all of that out. I kept trying to pinpoint a word that describes who I am, but I fit a few different ones, so I've finally given up. I'm different, I'm me, that's good enough for me now. But we seriously need more education on transgenders and at least the differences on the main things people can agree on, like the differences between being born two physical sexes, being born in the wrong physical body, and just being a gay person who chooses to dress as the opposite sex but does not feel as they are that sex.  

Spenelli

Angelic Kitten

16,425 Points
  • Hero 100
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Magical Girl 50

shares_stomach_acid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:03 pm
I honestly think gay men are focused on more because there hated on more and have been for longer. >,< Lesbians have been ignored for most of history it seems. I always hear about famous gay people in history but never the lesbians T___T
Plus more straight men are okay with lesbians then gay men, and more straight women are okay with lesbians then gay men. I have no idea why, but thats the way it is.
I would LOVE to see more lesbians on tv or in books though.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:32 pm
Outremangeur
Ithe term "gay community" really bothers me.
neutral
l-g-b- ******** T.
Trans people exist, and usually more discriminated against, and their rights are MUCH more ignored.
I'm not mad at anyone, just sharing a slightly relevant to the topic thought.
I agree, like I said in one of my posts that the whole spectrum of the LGBT community should be represented...and I know for a fact that transgendered people have a lot more problems ahead of them. I've always wondered (I maybe wrong) of how difficult it must be for transgendered people in the area of love life since straight people wouldn't date a transgendered as do most gay people (who I've heard speak about the topic) so I wonder if this is right or wrong....which is why I would like to see like shows or material on it but once again the one place I expect some answers have little representation, like I have enough info on gay men thank you lol. I'm sorry I am a very curious person I like to see all aspects of things to get an understanding  

insaneclaw

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces