Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Has anyone been indirectly made fun of? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gordums

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 1:47 pm
I think the important thing to do is to stand up against that comment. Simply tell her that comment was inappropriate, offensive, and it made you feel uncomfortable and to not do it again. Just let her know you didn't like it and you telling her that it wasn't appropriate isn't being personal

I think we have all had some indirect things said about us, though some experience it more than others

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 6:04 pm
Masked_Ven
Just wondering;

because something happened at my friend’s birthday party last week that's been building up the frustration in head ever since. It was a silly conversation about another friend of ours, Claire at the table outside but I think she took it too far when she said “What if Claire got a sex change?” Someone I didn’t know said “What would you call that?” she replied “a b*****d,” then looked at me. I think she truly meant it as a joke but it still made me uneasy. Considering out of all those people at that party she is the only one who that knows I’m going to start transitioning soon. I understand her viewpoint and we have a very trusting friendship but I feel like this subject is building a wall between us somehow. I doubt she even remembers it and don’t know how to confront her about it.

Hi there.
I'm not going to tell you what to do, but I'll tell you what I would do.
If I were in your shoes, I would confront my friend about the situation.
No conversation leading up to it, just a simple, "Hey, you hurt my feelings by saying this the other day."
If they don't apologize or if they go further with hurting feelings, I would tell them that I'm sorry but the friendship isn't going to work out.
This is just me talking. Usually it is very easy for me to get out of a friendship if they hurt my feelings, even if I have known them for more than ten years. Sure, I miss them but things just don't work out sometimes. Stuff happens.
I hope everything works out. Good luck. heart  

caleighxo

5,900 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Invisibility 100

IntrinsicGrey

6,200 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Junior Trader 100
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:26 pm
alimabean
i have, people just automatically assume when i say i'm "pansexual" that im some person who just doesn't want to conform with society. yanno?

AURGH!! I hate that! I came out as pansexual to my mom and she didn't understand it. She was like "Oh Keena stop trying to be weird. It's not cool." What the ********.  
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:35 pm
Insomniatix
alimabean
i have, people just automatically assume when i say i'm "pansexual" that im some person who just doesn't want to conform with society. yanno?

AURGH!! I hate that! I came out as pansexual to my mom and she didn't understand it. She was like "Oh Keena stop trying to be weird. It's not cool." What the ******** class="clear">

it angers me. :/  

alimabean

Quotable Genius

7,600 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Nudist Colony 200

1ThousandCranes

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:49 pm
Insomniatix
alimabean

AURGH!! I hate that! I came out as pansexual to my mom and she didn't understand it. She was like "Oh Keena stop trying to be weird. It's not cool." What the ******** class="clear">

Did you actually explain to her what it meant? Older generations are usually less knowledgeable about sexual things because of their conservative upbringing. She honestly might have thought you were just making something up...  
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:13 pm
1ThousandCranes
Insomniatix
alimabean

Did you actually explain to her what it meant? Older generations are usually less knowledgeable about sexual things because of their conservative upbringing. She honestly might have thought you were just making something up...

Yes I did. I've explained it to her multiple times. I don't mind if she doesn't fully understand the concept, but she doesn't have to tell me I'm faking my identity.  

IntrinsicGrey

6,200 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Junior Trader 100

Sarah_L_Awesome

5,350 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:05 pm
yes, half of my dads side are incredibly homophobic (oh yay anti-gay protestants), they make gay jokes all the time and i'm always like "go. to. hell." but they're always like "calm the ******** down" and lets just say it doesn't play out well  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:12 am
I have to listen to gay jokes all day long at work... Noone really knows because I don't talk about my personal life there so....

But I find it funny, everything is in humor. If you're white and you've heard the white stereotypes then you've no doubt laughed at them... so who cares?

I think both sides have their wrongs... they're wrong if they consider you only the "Gay kid" but at the same time... you're wrong because you're acting enough like a stereotype to be considered as such.  

Dusty-Boy

Dangerous Autobiographer

2,450 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Signature Look 250

1ThousandCranes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:26 am
Insomniatix
1ThousandCranes
Insomniatix
alimabean

Yes I did. I've explained it to her multiple times. I don't mind if she doesn't fully understand the concept, but she doesn't have to tell me I'm faking my identity.

And have you said that to her. I had to pretty much yell that at me mom for her to stop being mean. I know she still doesn't understand me. And only half-way acknowledges that I'm not going to "change" back... but at least she won't say s**t anymore. I'm sorry if this doesn't help, I don't think there's much else I can do. sad  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff