Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
When an author is out of their mind... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kuroiban

Dapper Explorer

2,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:38 am
AniMajor
Instead of stepping back and evaluating a situation where a person could be suffering severely from an illness, you get a lot of "oh, you need to cleanse your chakras" or "sometimes demons can cause things like hallucinations and depression" instead of a "maybe this is something you should see a doctor about".

By and large, I concur with that sentiment. What I do think is that spiritual/holistic needs balance with time honored medical techniques. The thing is balance runs both ways.

That, however, is another topic altogether. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:11 am
Kuroiban
AniMajor
Instead of stepping back and evaluating a situation where a person could be suffering severely from an illness, you get a lot of "oh, you need to cleanse your chakras" or "sometimes demons can cause things like hallucinations and depression" instead of a "maybe this is something you should see a doctor about".

By and large, I concur with that sentiment. What I do think is that spiritual/holistic needs balance with time honored medical techniques. The thing is balance runs both ways.

That, however, is another topic altogether. 3nodding

I thought about that as I was writing it. Maybe I'll write up another topic.

It'll be like a spin-off of a spin-off.  

AniMajor

8,000 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Mark Twain 100

godhi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:57 am
What worries me about Galina Krasskova is that she writes books like Feeding the Flame: A Devotional to Loki and His Family.
Hasn't this woman even read the Eddas? Loki is a murderer, oathbreaker, and kinslayer--everything that is anathema to the Scandinavian people.
Not only is Loki an outlaw by all standards of Norse society, but his children are Hel, Fenrir, and Jortmungandr, the latter two of whom are destined to slay Odin and Thor at Ragnarok. One might wonder whether this author is a member of the Scandinavian mushroom cult, as from what little I know of her writings and quotations (and read in this forum) the woman does not have both feet firmly planted in Midgard!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:57 am
godhi
What worries me about Galina Krasskova is that she writes books like Feeding the Flame: A Devotional to Loki and His Family.
Hasn't this woman even read the Eddas? Loki is a murderer, oathbreaker, and kinslayer--everything that is anathema to the Scandinavian people.
Not only is Loki an outlaw by all standards of Norse society, but his children are Hel, Fenrir, and Jortmungandr, the latter two of whom are destined to slay Odin and Thor at Ragnarok. One might wonder whether this author is a member of the Scandinavian mushroom cult, as from what little I know of her writings and quotations (and read in this forum) the woman does not have both feet firmly planted in Midgard!
Oh sweet Gods, I hate to have to defend anything that loony bin says, but I have to in this case, and very sadly the site I usually point to for help is no longer active, but bearing with me, Loki at the very least deserves some defense here. I really wish Ragnarokr was still live and/or navigable because I'm really at a loss on sources here.

Loki gets nods in my kindred. His children are another matter but on the very least he does. Why? Because the evidence for him being the total enemy of the Aesir he's made out to be is so shoddy as to not be convincing. Contrary to popular belief there are both place and family names stemming from his. Contrary to popular belief, he's not uniformly the murder by will of Baldr in most sources (in fact, he's mentioned as such I think only by Snorri which is about as convincing as Saxo Grammaticus really, ie not at all.) Contrary to popular belief, there's a good chance that the person being bound is not him in the slightest, and contrary to popular belief, he's not described as a giant and it's far more likely that he is brother to Odhinn than he is his blood brother. Since I cannot be convinced that he is anathema as you say, he gets his due everytime Odhinn does as is recommended in the Lokasenna (one of my favourite poems, and to me it says a lot that the Aesir take his invective up to a certain point).

Moreover, having spoken to Deo, I know I'm not alone in my recognition of Loki in spite of this campaign against him. Because if I'm supposed to stop worshipping Aesir (and Loki is Aesir, above all else) for the simple fact that they are murderers, oathbreakers and kinslayers, I then cannot in good conscience worship Thorr, Tyr, or Odhinn.

I do however entirely disagree with the light Galina puts Loki in. He's not an evil dark force that deserves due as the other side of the coin, he is Aesir in full and he deserves honour in full. I do not agree with her honouring of his children with Angrbodha which seems to be for shock value if nothing else, especially considering that using the source text on what was though of them, Hel may deserve honour for her providing housing for the dead, but Jormundgandr is to be feared and the only honour Fenrir should receive is that he is the breaker of many strong bonds, as the Gods give to him.

I think she's doing this, deep down, to be shocking, and that only serves to further smear a much smeared God. But I can't sit here and call him anathema when the evidence against him doesn't compute and he's not the only God to be questionable as s**t.

Are her feet firmly planted in Midgard? No. However is she completely wrong in figuring that Loki isn't the redheaded stepchild of the Aesir he's made out to be? Again no.  

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200

godhi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:13 am
I'm not saying that we shouldn't honor Loki; I'm just saying that the Trickster should be approached with extreme caution, as his nature is more like that of the Jotuns than the Aesir and thus is not to be trusted. As far as his offspring are concerned, one of my spiritual duties is that of a helsgodhi, although for obvious reasons I'm seldom called upon to perform the duties of that office. As mentioned before, I did not choose to become one; the Goddess chose me as her godhi, and who am I to argue with her?
Curiously enough, I find Hel to be a pleasant and comforting goddess who takes a perverse pleasure in frightening the living, but to the dead brings calm and comfort after a long and hard life. I agree that the Christians demonized her in later versions of the mythology, but since she represents death by disease, famine, cold, and other extreme conditions is by nature a very grim and disturbing goddess. Approach her with care, caution, and respect, and Hel might reveal her secrets to you...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:16 pm
godhi
I'm not saying that we shouldn't honor Loki; I'm just saying that the Trickster should be approached with extreme caution, as his nature is more like that of the Jotuns than the Aesir and thus is not to be trusted. As far as his offspring are concerned, one of my spiritual duties is that of a helsgodhi, although for obvious reasons I'm seldom called upon to perform the duties of that office. As mentioned before, I did not choose to become one; the Goddess chose me as her godhi, and who am I to argue with her?
Curiously enough, I find Hel to be a pleasant and comforting goddess who takes a perverse pleasure in frightening the living, but to the dead brings calm and comfort after a long and hard life. I agree that the Christians demonized her in later versions of the mythology, but since she represents death by disease, famine, cold, and other extreme conditions is by nature a very grim and disturbing goddess. Approach her with care, caution, and respect, and Hel might reveal her secrets to you...
My kindred also finds Hel to be rather comforting and calming, almost motherly, though she's additionally a Frigg's woman.

For the record, I'm not saying that Loki shouldn't be treated with caution, I'm just uncomfortable with calling him anathema. wink Can't say I would say that the nature of the Jotnar is wholly untrustworthy either, but that's another argument.

I think that caution, care, and respect is a principle that should always be remembered when dealing with any of the Aesir, to one degree or another, and I think we can both agree that Krasskova completely and utterly lacks all three of those attributes in her dealing with the Gods.  

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers