Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Magical Name Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:29 am
TeaDidikai
Synnthetika
What do you mean vanity issues? Like choosing a name that is not representative of your self but rather what you would like to be represented as?

Let's start by examining why people would choose to rename themselves.

1: Sex changes. XD
2: ?  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:33 am
There are some that use alternate names in the otherworlds. Nicknames, or names they have had assigned etc.
For some, it is considered unsafe to give true names out to certain otherworld beings.  

patch99329

AniMajor

8,000 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:47 am
Recursive Paradox
TeaDidikai
Synnthetika
What do you mean vanity issues? Like choosing a name that is not representative of your self but rather what you would like to be represented as?

Undesireable birth name?
Desire to have a cool name?  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:53 am
patch99329
There are some that use alternate names in the otherworlds. Nicknames, or names they have had assigned etc.
For some, it is considered unsafe to give true names out to certain otherworld beings.
Good point Patch.

Poe, would you consider the sex change to be unified with the seeking of a magical name?

Then the desire for a cool name/dissatisfaction with a birth name can be addressed with a question: What makes the new name a good idea?  

TeaDidikai

Aino Ailill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:10 pm
AniMajor
Recursive Paradox
TeaDidikai
Synnthetika

Undesireable birth name?

Desire to distance one's self from one's parents.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:19 pm
TeaDidikai
patch99329
Good point Patch.

Poe, would you consider the sex change to be unified with the seeking of a magical name?

Prolly not, honestly. It usually just has the significance of being a key element of the transition and choosing a name that fits. Unless there's magical name choosing that has similar aspects, it wouldn't really connect.  

Recursive Paradox

Namikikyo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:19 pm
Aino Ailill
AniMajor
Recursive Paradox
TeaDidikai
Synnthetika

Undesireable birth name?

Desire to escape one's past and have a fresh start.

Desire to become invisable.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:58 pm
TeaDidikai
patch99329
Good point Patch.

Then the desire for a cool name/dissatisfaction with a birth name can be addressed with a question: What makes the new name a good idea?

i once knew a man named d**k Head... no lie, cross my heart. he was a client of ours at the interior decor and design shop i worked at... i would consider a new name a good idea if that were my name...  

whiporwill-o

AniMajor

8,000 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:03 pm
TeaDidikai
patch99329
Good point Patch.

Once, someone came into where I worked with the name Peace Everlasting. He paid with a debit card so his name came up on the screen, and he showed me his ID (even though we don't require it) in order to convince me that it was his real name.

I don't think that trying to make a political/religious/ethical statement with your name is a good idea.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:20 pm
I chose my name as a magical act. Bastemhet means Bast is in the heart. In the Egyptian understanding of heart, that was where the mind was, since when we're happy, that's where we feel it, and also when we're sad or angry, we feel it there too. This name, then, had a double meaning for me, which is that Bast is in the heart in the Egyptian sense, and also in the English sense, since she is very dear to me.

The magical act part came from writing it. Written and spoken language is charged with power, and if you want something to come true, you speak as if it's already reality. In that way it's self-fulfilling. So my using Bastemhet is a way to (magically) make it true. So far it has happened, since all the study I do is to honor her (and Seshat, recently). It also gives me something to aspire to, as well as keep in my mind as a value that I must uphold.

Having this name also helps to solidify this period in my life, to add to my identity as a Kemetic Reconstructionist and devotee of Bast. I thought it only fitting to make this more tangible through written word and user name.  

Bastemhet

Aino Ailill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:41 pm
AniMajor
TeaDidikai
patch99329
Good point Patch.

Once, someone came into where I worked with the name Peace Everlasting. He paid with a debit card so his name came up on the screen, and he showed me his ID (even though we don't require it) in order to convince me that it was his real name.

I don't think that trying to make a political/religious/ethical statement with your name is a good idea.

Why?  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:53 pm
Aino Ailill
AniMajor

Why?

i think i would be fine if someone chose the name for themselves, i do not agree with parents trying to make such a statement with their child's name. they may not grow up to agree with the same views.  

whiporwill-o

Aino Ailill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:01 pm
whiporwill-o
Aino Ailill
AniMajor

Why?

i think i would be fine if someone chose the name for themselves, i do not agree with parents trying to make such a statement with their child's name. they may not grow up to agree with the same views.

Ah.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:04 am
whiporwill-o
TeaDidikai
patch99329
Good point Patch.

i once knew a man named d**k Head... no lie, cross my heart. he was a client of ours at the interior decor and design shop i worked at... i would consider a new name a good idea if that were my name...

I've got that beat.
d**k Peter Cocks
Not kidding, he was in my brothers class all the way from elementry through highschool.  

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

Cyrus the Elder

6,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:45 am
Namikikyo
Aino Ailill
AniMajor
Recursive Paradox
TeaDidikai
Synnthetika

Undesireable birth name?

Desire to escape one's past and have a fresh start.

Desire to become invisable.

Desire to have a different name?

All of the above? ninja  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out