Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
has anyone here read the apologetics study bible? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:06 pm
whiporwill-o
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Taliah
TeaDidikai
The Lilith Myth was made up in the middle ages- it's like Bible Fan Fic.

I guess History channel didn't get the fanfic memo about Lilith? Seems like within the last few years they had a show about her. So she's really not mentioned in the Torah at all?
In the Torah? No. In the Tanakh? Technically. In the Talmud? Yes, though rarely. She also has a few Midrash about her, however, the fanfic, and most populous version of her comes from the Alphabet of Ben Sirah, which is meant to be taken as satire. She does actually mate with Adam in one piece of midrash, but not before Eve.

*scratches head* so... technically she does exist? i am so confused.

also, i have never heard of the talmud or the tanakh. what are they?
Tanakh is the Jewish name for the books of the Old Testament. Talmud is the oral tradition of Judaism.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:17 pm
rmcdra
whiporwill-o
*scratches head* so... technically she does exist? i am so confused.

also, i have never heard of the talmud or the tanakh. what are they?
Tanakh is the Jewish name for the books of the Old Testament. Talmud is the oral tradition of Judaism.

thank you.

so lilith exists in oral tradition, but not in written? and she's made up all at the same time?  

whiporwill-o

Taliah

Lonely Phantom

8,450 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:49 pm
rmcdra

Oops. That was my bad. I get Torah and Tanakh mixed up apparently. And thank you for the clarification Celeblin.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:08 am
whiporwill-o

that is actually another issue i have, i don't trust all of the translations of the bible.
You shouldn't trust them all.
But you should also do research and explore the different translations and come to your own conclusions, rather than allowing a couple bad translations to speak for the sum of the religion.

Quote:

i don't know, i guess i just think there should be a little more to it than that.
What makes you think there isn't more to it than that?

Quote:

i'm sorry, i'm a bit tired, but what?

Two Creation myths:
Apologetic: "There's the first story, and then the second telling goes into more detail of the first story."

Anthropological: "The Hebrew peoples were at one point polytheistic. In Moses' time, they decided they would only worship one god, but wouldn't deny other gods exist. Eventually, they decided there was only their god."  

TeaDidikai

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:37 am
TeaDidikai
whiporwill-o

that is actually another issue i have, i don't trust all of the translations of the bible.
You shouldn't trust them all.
But you should also do research and explore the different translations and come to your own conclusions, rather than allowing a couple bad translations to speak for the sum of the religion.

can you tell me the other translations that aren't as reliable and also the most accurate ones? 3nodding

Quote:
Quote:

i don't know, i guess i just think there should be a little more to it than that.
What makes you think there isn't more to it than that?

sorry, let me rephrase. i don't think that 'just because' is a valid answer in and of itself. i prefer having more explanitory, thought-out answers and when i ask something and someone says 'because god said so' it doesn't fulfill my pursuit.

Quote:
Quote:

i'm sorry, i'm a bit tired, but what?

Two Creation myths:
Apologetic: "There's the first story, and then the second telling goes into more detail of the first story."

Anthropological: "The Hebrew peoples were at one point polytheistic. In Moses' time, they decided they would only worship one god, but wouldn't deny other gods exist. Eventually, they decided there was only their god."

oh, that was a duh moment, lol. is either one more accurate than the other?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:44 am
whiporwill-o

can you tell me the other translations that aren't as reliable and also the most accurate ones? 3nodding
I'm partial to Young's Literal Translation. But that's because I like exegesis over eisegesis in my translations.

But even it has its flaws.

Quote:

sorry, let me rephrase. i don't think that 'just because' is a valid answer in and of itself. i prefer having more explanitory, thought-out answers and when i ask something and someone says 'because god said so' it doesn't fulfill my pursuit.
Ah. Well, their positions are likely thought out. They may just fail at explaining it.

Quote:

It's apples to oranges. One's a mythological commentary the other is an anthropological one.  

TeaDidikai

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:53 am
TeaDidikai
whiporwill-o

I'm partial to Young's Literal Translation. But that's because I like exegesis over eisegesis in my translations.

But even it has its flaws.

exegesis? eisegesis?

Quote:
Quote:

Ah. Well, their positions are likely thought out. They may just fail at explaining it.

could be. i always feel like a little kid that keeps asking them 'but why' 'but why' 'but why', lol.

Quote:
Quote:

It's apples to oranges. One's a mythological commentary the other is an anthropological one.

oh, thanks.

would christian or jewish mythologies hold the same status as, say, greek mythologies?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:56 am
whiporwill-o

exegesis?
Drawing meaning out.
Quote:
eisegesis?
Putting meaning in.

Quote:

could be. i always feel like a little kid that keeps asking them 'but why' 'but why' 'but why', lol.
If you remember anything specific, let me know.

Quote:

oh, thanks.

would christian or jewish mythologies hold the same status as, say, greek mythologies?
Can you rephrase the question? It's not making sense to me.  

TeaDidikai

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:04 pm
TeaDidikai
whiporwill-o

exegesis?
Drawing meaning out.
Quote:
eisegesis?
Putting meaning in.

oh, ok, thank you.

Quote:
Quote:

If you remember anything specific, let me know.

i appreciate that, thank you.

Quote:
Quote:

Can you rephrase the question? It's not making sense to me.

um, let me try...

ok, to learn more about the greek deities, you would read the myths, right? it's one of the first things you would need to become familiar with if you were to try to become hellenismos? so would the christian myths be of the same importance?

i hope i did better that time. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:06 pm
whiporwill-o
so would the christian myths be of the same importance?

In achieving what?  

Bastemhet

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:08 pm
Bastemhet
whiporwill-o
so would the christian myths be of the same importance?

In achieving what?

just for the function of education in opposed to misinformtion.

wait, did that even make sense? confused  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:11 pm
whiporwill-o

um, let me try...

ok, to learn more about the greek deities, you would read the myths, right? it's one of the first things you would need to become familiar with if you were to try to become hellenismos? so would the christian myths be of the same importance?

Makes more sense.

For a Christian to be a Christian, they would likely want to start with Christian traditions, such as the Gospels etc.

The trick when it comes to understanding Christendom in the context of Jewish myth is that you have to jump from metaphorical concepts present in Yeshua being an avatar of YHVH to literal understandings within Judaism.

My bet is that when YHVH's Messiah actually comes, most Christians are going to assume he is the Anti-Christ based on Revelations and what is actually needed to fulfill the Messianic Prophesies.  

TeaDidikai

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:15 pm
TeaDidikai
whiporwill-o

um, let me try...

Makes more sense.

For a Christian to be a Christian, they would likely want to start with Christian traditions, such as the Gospels etc.

The trick when it comes to understanding Christendom in the context of Jewish myth is that you have to jump from metaphorical concepts present in Yeshua being an avatar of YHVH to literal understandings within Judaism.

My bet is that when YHVH's Messiah actually comes, most Christians are going to assume he is the Anti-Christ based on Revelations and what is actually needed to fulfill the Messianic Prophesies.

i see (i think) thank you 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:17 pm
whiporwill-o

I'd really rather you ask questions than remain confused.  

TeaDidikai

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:17 pm
whiporwill-o
TeaDidikai
whiporwill-o

um, let me try...

Makes more sense.

In the end it depends on which context you're starting from, and which you're reaching out to understand.

This is quite interesting, though. Especially Tea's last paragraph there. I hadn't considered what cross-tradition worship might entail since I'm working with one trad./pantheon. Hmm.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff