Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Finding a God or Goddess. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Chaos Blue

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 3:14 pm
When I think about a question like that, I always ask, who am I to assume that the gods I worship called me?  
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 4:15 pm
Chaos Blue
When I think about a question like that, I always ask, who am I to assume that the gods I worship called me?

My personal answer to that is difficult to summarize. I feel that some deities form a relationship with those who worship them and that the relationship flows in both directions. If it were to be completely one-sided, I could just as easily worship an archetype or a concept such as Art or Justice.

I sometimes wonder if the "low" points in my spirituality correspond to a change in the relationship in the same way that sometimes a friendship will change because the other party does not engage us as much.  

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Chaos Blue

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 4:59 pm
You're right, it is a lot similar to the changing of friendships, good point...

A lot of the times, that's why I don't even think about questions like that. I focus on building said relationship, not so much on 'how do I know they called me'? I don't particularly think it's wrong if one communicated with them first, depending of course, on who said deity was, and as long as one is respectful.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:07 am
I'm pretty confused. For the most part I was an agnostic atheist. I wasn't completely certain that there was no such thing as a god out there, but I didn't feel like anything could exist (nor a reason why they would/should).
Then something happened that makes me question myself, have I completely lost it? At this point, I'm certain either I've gone way off the deep end, or someone's really contacting me.

Just.. how can you be certain you haven't completely lost it?  

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 12:39 pm
kage no neko
Just.. how can you be certain you haven't completely lost it?

Honestly, you can't/ We're in the realm of gnosis, which in the current US and western culture is considered the realm of madness. It's good to remain grounded - reference things outside of your beliefs, cultivate a group of people who will call you on your bullshit, and ensure you're taking care of the practical things regularly.  
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:57 pm
If I want to know if a god/goddess would want me to worship them, I'd say a prayer or make some sort of offering, whatever would be most appropriate. Basically declare my offering of worship, and if the deity were so inclined, I'd ask them to respond in some manner (not specified by me, I'm not going to boss around a deity).

I offered Mary my worship, she didn't answer. I still revere here, tho I think, at least from me, worship isn't needed/desired  

Gho the Girl

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:57 pm
Is it normal for them to talk directly to you? I think I've only seen someone once (and after looking her up, she seemed to be confirmed to be the same goddess).. but the rest just talk to me. And some of them.. have personalities I wouldn't have imagined, though I can't really find any myths or anything that explain some personalities.

Which I'm glad of though. For the longest time, I'd sit here and say "if anyone's interested in me, they'll tell me themselves".. and now I think I've gone insane, lol.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:06 am
I know the feeling. How do you know? and, if you find that it wasn't... It can feel rather lonely. I've heard of dreams and symbols, signs from the gods that they want your attention. But I can't say that anything I've experienced is at that level. I suppose the next step is to ask... make an offering and hope they respond. In my case this deity is a splinter in my mind. I can't get it to go away, nor can I discern if it was put there or if I created it.  

Arden Deschain

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:58 am
Arden Deschain
I know the feeling. How do you know? and, if you find that it wasn't... It can feel rather lonely.

I feel while disappointment can and does happen, it shouldn't be a deterrent to continuing on.

I wonder how much of this feeling is informed by the myths themselves. I feel a lot of the accounts in mythology talk of exceptional circumstances- and because of this we build certain expectations. There isn't a lot of lore that talks about the everyday lives of the people who faithfully served their gods without ever meeting them face to face.

Arden Deschain
I've heard of dreams and symbols, signs from the gods that they want your attention. But I can't say that anything I've experienced is at that level. I suppose the next step is to ask... make an offering and hope they respond. In my case this deity is a splinter in my mind. I can't get it to go away, nor can I discern if it was put there or if I created it.

How practiced are you at sensing different kinds of energy?  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:17 pm
Brass Bell Doll

I wonder how much of this feeling is informed by the myths themselves. I feel a lot of the accounts in mythology talk of exceptional circumstances- and because of this we build certain expectations. There isn't a lot of lore that talks about the everyday lives of the people who faithfully served their gods without ever meeting them face to face.

I have to agree. Since there isn't much about people who practiced but never received a big sign, perhaps I've come to think that that is the way it's done. and since so many others seem to have that kind of relationship with their gods...

Brass Bell Doll
How practiced are you at sensing different kinds of energy?

Not at all, as until just recently I believed I was either silly or paranoid. I haven't thought to look into it yet. Why do you ask?  

Arden Deschain

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:38 pm
Arden Deschain
I have to agree. Since there isn't much about people who practiced but never received a big sign, perhaps I've come to think that that is the way it's done. and since so many others seem to have that kind of relationship with their gods...

I feel it might be worth looking at which gods seem to have this very personal and direct relationship with people as well. The Wiccan Lord and Lady and the Loa are channeled by their followers. I imagine their relationship with their followers is very different from a relationship with a god who is different.

Arden Deschain
Not at all, as until just recently I believed I was either silly or paranoid. I haven't thought to look into it yet. Why do you ask?

I feel that with practice and the right support by a third party, enough familiarity with the way different energies feel can be an invaluable clue to it's source and help people tell the difference between something that stems from them or something that stems from outside of them.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff