Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
how do you make an offering... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:52 pm
TeaDidikai
whiporwill-o
TeaDidikai
whiporwill-o

i hope it turns out well 3nodding

may i ask what you use as a stand in?
I guess "a" standin isn't as accurate as it could have been.
I have several- and they change depending on what I am doing.

Examples include:
My stove
A portable fire pit
My mortar
My threshold
A brass
A small corner of my apartment

And last but not least, a "mini mantel" that I bought when I was living down town.

I have only ever inhabited two places that didn't have a hearth. I bought the mini hearth from Barns and Nobel when I first moved to my apartment which didn't have a fireplace.

those are wonderful ideas, thank you for sharing! i have never lived in a home with a fireplace, but i hope to one day.
I hate being without one. So much so that I am going to learn how to build one myself just so I know I will always be able to have one.

that's a good idea, quite an undertaking though. for a while i had considered getting one of those portable fireplace-looking heaters because i live in an apartment, no fires allowed plus i could take it with me when i move. unfortunately they are reeeaaaallllyyyy expensive and, from what i read, aren't as energy efficient as they claim.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:55 pm
whiporwill-o

that's a good idea, quite an undertaking though. for a while i had considered getting one of those portable fireplace-looking heaters because i live in an apartment, no fires allowed plus i could take it with me when i move. unfortunately they are reeeaaaallllyyyy expensive and, from what i read, aren't as energy efficient as they claim.
I considered that myself. I just can't get over the fact that they look really wrong.  

TeaDidikai

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:04 pm
TeaDidikai
whiporwill-o

I considered that myself. I just can't get over the fact that they look really wrong.

they do look really awkward. my grandfather is a carpenter, of sorts, and if i had got one i was going to see if he could help me give it a sort of built-in look that was easy to re/disassemble, but that was before i read the reviews. gonk  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:17 pm
whiporwill-o

they do look really awkward. my grandfather is a carpenter, of sorts, and if i had got one i was going to see if he could help me give it a sort of built-in look that was easy to re/disassemble, but that was before i read the reviews. gonk
My substitutions will hold up until I get a hearth again.

Hearths can be a pain in the butt too.
It took a lot of time to basically clear my old one in order to not have it's ties to Cu.  

TeaDidikai

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:53 am
TeaDidikai
whiporwill-o

My substitutions will hold up until I get a hearth again.

Hearths can be a pain in the butt too.
It took a lot of time to basically clear my old one in order to not have it's ties to Cu.

Heh... always happy to be a pain in the neck  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:36 am
CuAnnan

Heh... always happy to be a pain in the neck
I was less worried about your effect on them than their effect on you.  

TeaDidikai

Lady Maythen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:44 pm
Back to the original post, I usually take a small part of my dinner and set it on my altar, then when I finish eating I put it in the compost pile c:  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:29 pm
Hand-To-Hand is the Basis of all Combat.

I don't focus on spirits or ancestors. Or even holidays.
I merely focus my energy to be in that with Nature's Rift, Her Flow...

I offer that in which I don't use/need. Left over foods are used in my garden ((If able)) to be nutrient for Her Plants.
I also fast once a month ((Soon to be once every other week, And then once a week)) So that I don't use much. I can give more then I take.
Only a fool would trust his life to a weapon...
-GreyFox
Mortal Danger Quest Thread  

Anthromancer

Beloved Superhero

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:28 pm
General Vic Rikov
I offer that in which I don't use/need. Left over foods are used in my garden ((If able)) to be nutrient for Her Plants.
Huh... why is that an offering and not simply compost?

I mean, the point of offerings is essentially a sacrifice. If you aren't actually giving anything up, if there is no sacrifice, why is it an offering?  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:14 pm
TeaDidikai
General Vic Rikov
Huh... why is that an offering and not simply compost?

I mean, the point of offerings is essentially a sacrifice. If you aren't actually giving anything up, if there is no sacrifice, why is it an offering?

I have not come across the concept in at least Kemetic practice that offerings such as bread, water, or incense must be sacrificial in nature.  

Bastemhet

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:40 pm
Sophist

I have not come across the concept in at least Kemetic practice that offerings such as bread, water, or incense must be sacrificial in nature.
I was looking at the denotation of the word. But think of what giving up bread, clean water or resins meant to people who couldn't get them at the local mega mart meant.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:55 pm
TeaDidikai
Sophist

I was looking at the denotation of the word. But think of what giving up bread, clean water or resins meant to people who couldn't get them at the local mega mart meant.

Denotatively I thought there were different types, sacrificial being one of them.

Your second point, though, I think is debatable. While it's true that incense was particularly difficult to obtain and therefore precious and sacrificial when given as an offering, I wouldn't say that them being sacrificial in intent is what makes them an offering. What I think we should recognize is the purpose of the offering. In my case it would be to uphold maat, and to sustain the gods, which is the foremost aim of the offering. I think they would appreciate things that are sacrificial in nature but would not be averse to receiving things that are easier to obtain.

As for Rikov I do not see how leftovers could be considered an offering if it's basically just his garbage...where is the meaningful relationship in that?

Edit: After rereading our exchange a few times I think we may be agreeing but just using different words. Sacrifice to me means a painful loss. Gift giving isn't necessarily that. But in both there is a meaningful exchange. I don't see this meaningful exchange in giving your garbage to an entity you purportedly venerate.  

Bastemhet

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:51 pm
Sophist

Denotatively I thought there were different types, sacrificial being one of them.

Your second point, though, I think is debatable. While it's true that incense was particularly difficult to obtain and therefore precious and sacrificial when given as an offering, I wouldn't say that them being sacrificial in intent is what makes them an offering. What I think we should recognize is the purpose of the offering. In my case it would be to uphold maat, and to sustain the gods, which is the foremost aim of the offering. I think they would appreciate things that are sacrificial in nature but would not be averse to receiving things that are easier to obtain.

As for Rikov I do not see how leftovers could be considered an offering if it's basically just his garbage...where is the meaningful relationship in that?

Edit: After rereading our exchange a few times I think we may be agreeing but just using different words. Sacrifice to me means a painful loss. Gift giving isn't necessarily that. But in both there is a meaningful exchange. I don't see this meaningful exchange in giving your garbage to an entity you purportedly venerate.
You added the edit before I got to demonstrate the schism. wink

Edit: Why do you believe sacrifice is synonymous with pain?  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:06 pm
TeaDidikai
Sophist

You added the edit before I got to demonstrate the schism. wink

Edit: Why do you believe sacrifice is synonymous with pain?

Well I think that's more the connotation of it for me than denotation.

dictionary.com
to surrender or give up, or permit injury or disadvantage to, for the sake of something else."

So in that case the disadvantage or perceived injury could be painful. I don't think necessarily so, more like a personal bias.

And yet under sacrifice:

dictionary.com
the offering of animal, plant, or human life or of some material possession to a deity, as in propitiation or homage.

confused

I showed you mine, so would you show me yours? xd  

Bastemhet

Ishtar Shakti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:28 pm
I don't worship deities but when working with spirits I generally offer information or energy. I don't practice ritualistic magic so I don't usually burn candles or anything like that. Sometimes when I'm feeling cheap and tired I will burn a candle and rely on the ambient energy but usually I'm not lazy like that.

@ sacrifice... it shows commitment I think that's more the point then just giving the item. The greater the personal sacrifice the more of your will your willing to give up for the sake of the being... to show that you care more for the entity than your self. I believe that's the point of some offerings. I just don't debase myself because I don't like to rely on other beings. I'm naturally distrusting. I don't think its necessarily pain...
I think of it as a currency of will or desire... the greater your desire the more power the deity gains. I think that's what deities desire.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff