Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Wrong to celebrate both? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

LeBlanc

Aged Gaian

1,150 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:04 am
I also celebrate both!  
MidNightShadows223 rolled 10 8-sided dice: 7, 2, 7, 5, 4, 4, 3, 4, 7, 5 Total: 48 (10-80)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:34 pm
I celebrate Yule with a few of my (wiccan/pagan)friends and then I celebrate Christmas with my family and Christian friends.  

MidNightShadows223

TheDisreputableDog

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:18 pm
I always do Christmas with my family. It's enormously fun, loving, and both gastrointestinally and spiritually satisfying. whee

I got to go to a public Yule ritual run by the statewide pagan and Wiccan group a couple of years ago, but my current location isn't as convenient. I always try to do something for Yule, but it's often not very much. Light an electric candle ( stare ), maybe do a tarot reading for myself, give thanks for the return of the sun... That sort of thing. I wing it. I don't really approve of cribbing rituals from the internet at the last minute, and anyway they're either bad, mostly Wiccan, for solitaries which I am not because I'm not a Wiccan, or for groups which I don't have. lol

Yule comes so close to Christmas and the intentions/feelings are so similar anyway that I usually let them blur together beyond acknowledgements to both traditions.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:14 pm
Depends. You doing it so that you get to celebrate two holidays?? (Presents) Or are you doing it because you truly beieve both (GOOD).  

Drucillia

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:43 pm
Drucillia
Depends. You doing it so that you get to celebrate two holidays?? (Presents) Or are you doing it because you truly beieve both (GOOD).
Wait a minute... are you attaching a moral judgement on if people like to get presents or not?  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:41 am
My parents got married on the Winter Solstice, so we always recognize the date as a family, even if they're getting a divorce (which is no surprise) and they're all pretty Christian.

Every winter holiday is a festivial of light and family (more or less) -- I don't think there's anything wrong with that. (: Even if the winter holidays have come and gone, there's still Groundhog Day/Imbloc, Easter/Ostara, Halloween/Samhain and other holidays that go together and have, at their classic roots, the same basic meaning and message. (:  

Gingerbread . Coffin

crystal_raye

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:57 pm
I celebrate both, it's like getting Christmas twice!  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:39 pm
crystal_raye
I celebrate both, it's like getting Christmas twice!
wink Unless it's not.  

TeaDidikai

Orion-Blacknuckle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:07 pm
Christmas REALLY wasn't ever the birth of Christ. It was originally a holiday from Paganism I believe, and to try and convert more people to Christianity they said that all of a sudden it was Jesus's birthing day. I don't know if we even know the actual date for it..

As for the subject of whether it's wrong, that's all in your point of view. I myself don't see anything wrong with it.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:32 am
Orion-Blacknuckle
Christmas REALLY wasn't ever the birth of Christ. It was originally a holiday from Paganism I believe, and to try and convert more people to Christianity they said that all of a sudden it was Jesus's birthing day. I don't know if we even know the actual date for it..

As for the subject of whether it's wrong, that's all in your point of view. I myself don't see anything wrong with it.
It was in the Spring time, closer to Passover when Jesus was born.

Shepards only watch their fields at night when there's new baby lambs, which are born in the Spring.

And, Jesus didn't die in the Spring either. It was actually either right before or right after (I can't remember) Hanukkah..  

Gingerbread . Coffin

TheDisreputableDog

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:15 am
Gingerbread . Coffin

Shepards only watch their fields at night when there's new baby lambs, which are born in the Spring.

And, Jesus didn't die in the Spring either. It was actually either right before or right after (I can't remember) Hanukkah..
Hurrah for ecumenical editing?  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:32 am
TheDisreputableDog
Gingerbread . Coffin

Hurrah for ecumenical editing?
Christmas on December 25th and Easter on whatever Sunday it's on in March/April, make more sense in the view of the seasons.

Symbolically...
Christmas is around the time the world is coming back to life. The Winter Solstice is the darkest night of the year, and after that, things get brighter (or better), and the world starts coming to life again.
In the Easter story, Joshua (or Jesus, whatever you want to call him), comes back to life, like the rest of the world is doing.

I think they're more celebrations instead of anniversaries. So editting the calendar to go along with what the rest of the world was doing at that time... Yeah, I gets that's a hurrah for editting. (:  

Gingerbread . Coffin

TheDisreputableDog

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:28 pm
Gingerbread . Coffin
Yeah, I gets that's a hurrah for editting. (:
I suppose that's what makes it a religion instead of a series of biographies. wink  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:34 pm
Re: The whole "Christmas wasn't Yeshua's Birth Date" thang.

People say that like it somehow invalidates the holiday? Who cares when Yeshua is born!?

What makes Christ-Mas a spiritually valid holiday is found not on the measure of the moment when he was born, but in the faith of those who follow him.  

TeaDidikai

Gingerbread . Coffin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:44 pm
TeaDidikai
Re: The whole "Christmas wasn't Yeshua's Birth Date" thang.

People say that like it somehow invalidates the holiday? Who cares when Yeshua is born!?

What makes Christ-Mas a spiritually valid holiday is found not on the measure of the moment when he was born, but in the faith of those who follow him.
"Well, if they played with it there, what's to say the whole BIBLE isn't played with??"

xp

Again, celebration instead of anniversary. If it was an anniversary, no one would remember it and Hayzuez would get mad, year, after year, after year... xP  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff