Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Rape and the gods Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:52 pm
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Recursive Paradox
Celeblin Galadeneryn

Also, to get into Gods taking advantage of 'drunk' girls, we kind of have to posit that Gods operate on the same morality we do. They don't so much.

That doesn't mean I have to like, accept or respond well to their separate morality. XD But yes, it certainly may not be rape to them.
Not like or not respond well, sure, but what depending on what you mean by accept, maybe not so much. Denying their seperate morality doesn't make it go away, but I could be misunderstanding what you mean.

I usually use accept in terms of "accept and move on" or "refuse to accept and fight back"

I guess a good example would be Void. It's an eater. As far as Aspects go, it would seem to be pretty characteristically heinous, reducing things to their lowest state of order and sucking it all up into its vacuum maw. One could call that murder (as Void is more or less sentient) but really, that is just what Void is. An Entropic Aspect that breaks and devours. So our morality really doesn't apply. It's a whole different ballgame.

I wouldn't like getting nommed by Void. I wouldn't respond well for sure. In my case, I also wouldn't accept it and would fight back with every inch of my being and power. Sure I might fail anyways, but I would go down fighting with a chance (however tiny) of escape.

Same deal with gods or goddesses trying to overwhelm my capacity to reason and consent. I would do everything in my power to fight tooth and nail and flame, viciously and unmercifully, to prevent what I perceive as a violation of my Self. To be honest, within Etherism, just stripping the capacity to consent from someone (without prior consent to do so) to begin with is a pretty hefty violation.

So my own morals would dictate that I fight in any way I can. Hence, not accepting.

Me and language sometimes do this thing where we work together weird. sweatdrop It seemed to be a perfect word to me for it when I said it, but I guess not.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:53 pm
TeaDidikai
Recursive Paradox

That doesn't mean I have to like, accept or respond well to their separate morality. XD But yes, it certainly may not be rape to them.
This is why I would make a piss poor Hellenic. On my path, you can piss off gods, but it isn't a crime unto itself to do so.

Yeah, I wouldn't do well as a Hellenic. Hell I wouldn't do well in most systems orientated around gods. sweatdrop  

Recursive Paradox

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:53 pm
TeaDidikai
Recursive Paradox

This is why I would make a piss poor Hellenic. On my path, you can piss off gods, but it isn't a crime unto itself to do so.

Hey, I argue and bargain all the time. And pissingthe gods off happens. You make amends. The amount of times that I do a ritual with the words, "if ever I have pleased you, look kindly upon me" but that's also part of kharis, developing that relationship.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:57 pm
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Recursive Paradox
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Or at least, that's how the Greeks saw it.

Pesky cultural differences, making it hard to draw parallels and see things eye to eye. XD
It's a little more than that. I mean, it still wasn't cool for your average Greek to rape the neighbour's daughter and claim it was all good because he provided her with a healthy child. There are things the Gods can do that we just plain can't get away with.

Well isn't that cultural in and of itself? I mean, I wouldn't let a god get away with something like that. I may not be powerful enough (yet) to truly make a deity pay for it, but I would certainly try.

Although, I am a bit atypical, even for Western culture, aren't I?  

Recursive Paradox

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:59 pm
maenad nuri

Hey, I argue and bargain all the time. And pissingthe gods off happens. You make amends. The amount of times that I do a ritual with the words, "if ever I have pleased you, look kindly upon me" but that's also part of kharis, developing that relationship.
ninja You forget... I would have been on Arachne's side.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:00 pm
Recursive Paradox
"accept and move on" or "refuse to accept and fight back"
Well, with in the Hellenic system, good luck with that. sweatdrop

Though, really, refusing isn't so much the crime. You can piss the Gods off, just generally they aren't going to like you for it. As Nuri says, there can be amends. Let's face it, Heroes are dicks, and as such, the Iliad and Odyssey are full of instances of Heroes saying sorry for their dickery.

Nuri's words are a highly common formula of worship, however another one would be "I have done x for you, it is now right for you to do y for me."

Dickery happens and isn't necessarily an immediate own in the face coming your way.

Hubris is quite a different matter. But that's a particular type of pissing off.  

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:02 pm
Recursive Paradox
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Recursive Paradox
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Or at least, that's how the Greeks saw it.

Pesky cultural differences, making it hard to draw parallels and see things eye to eye. XD
It's a little more than that. I mean, it still wasn't cool for your average Greek to rape the neighbour's daughter and claim it was all good because he provided her with a healthy child. There are things the Gods can do that we just plain can't get away with.

Well isn't that cultural in and of itself? I mean, I wouldn't let a god get away with something like that. I may not be powerful enough (yet) to truly make a deity pay for it, but I would certainly try.
People did try. They largely got owned in the face. In the Iliad we're actually told that Hera decided she wasn't going to take Zeus' s**t anymore and tried to overthrow him, teaming up with ******** Athena of all people, however thanks to Thetis that plan got totally owned in face.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:05 pm
TeaDidikai
maenad nuri

ninja You forget... I would have been on Arachne's side.
In the version where she won or the version where she was just a haughty hubristic b***h and got owned in the face for it? wink

And no, I don't know why I like the phrase own in the face so much today either.  

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:34 am
Celeblin Galadeneryn
People did try. They largely got owned in the face. In the Iliad we're actually told that Hera decided she wasn't going to take Zeus' s**t anymore and tried to overthrow him, teaming up with ******** Athena of all people, however thanks to Thetis that plan got totally owned in face.

That sort of implies to me that it was a general attitude of "well this sucks, what a d**k, but I can't do anything about it" Or was that just the minority who didn't have the view of "it's the gods, they do what they do"?

Celeblin Galadeneryn
Recursive Paradox

Could you wish me luck in the Etheristic System too? sweatdrop

I'm barely on the level of an Essence and the Laws of Mutual Respect are sort of contingent on having the power (or allies with the power) to defend yourself.

Star is pretty hardcore, but Void? Yeah Void eats stars for breakfast. I was lucky when I first touched Void. I doubt I'll be lucky again, which is why I refuse to directly channel Void. And really, many of the Aspects are so alien from us that it's easy to run into the risk of offending someone and getting my face owned. In the face. Without even knowing why.

Etherism is not a comforting path...

Quote:
Though, really, refusing isn't so much the crime. You can piss the Gods off, just generally they aren't going to like you for it. As Nuri says, there can be amends. Let's face it, Heroes are dicks, and as such, the Iliad and Odyssey are full of instances of Heroes saying sorry for their dickery.

*shrug*

The sentient Aspects and Essences sometimes need amends for ******** too.

Quote:
Nuri's words are a highly common formula of worship, however another one would be "I have done x for you, it is now right for you to do y for me."

That latter one would be my preference. XD And considering the usage of spiritual barter in Etherism, I'm well capable and willing to play the do a goodwill favor for more goodwill favors game with dangerous folk like gods.

If I ever was in a position to work with the Hellenic deities (or any similar dieties) would the approach of doing some work for them to establish a path to mention the latter response be a good idea? It seems like it.

Quote:
Hubris is quite a different matter. But that's a particular type of pissing off.

Define hubris in Greek terms.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:30 am
Recursive Paradox
Celeblin Galadeneryn

That sort of implies to me that it was a general attitude of "well this sucks, what a d**k, but I can't do anything about it" Or was that just the minority who didn't have the view of "it's the gods, they do what they do"?
Well for starters, in that case it was other Gods going "this sucks," and thus, in a far better position to do that. Humans doing that were highly irregular, and usually huger dicks themselves. See Ixion and his whole "I'm gonna rape Hera" thing. Generally, the first view you mentioned is the wrong view to have.

There's even points where fighting the Gods is ok. You're totally not going to win, but you can make a good showing at least. Diomedes attacks Aphrodite in the Iliad, she being the only Goddess Athena allows him to attack *coughmostlybecauseshe'sontheothersidecough* (she's a rank b***h in the Iliad in general. Most of the time I like her, but she's just so ******** easy to hate there. I can see why Fiddler wanted to say she's whining about the Contest of Paris, even if we don't have any proof that she is.) He even wounds her to my knowledge, but fortunately for him she's not there to kick a**, just to get her son Aeneas off the battlefield because Diomedes I believe has just crushed his spine or shattered his ribcage or broke his hip, you know, something drastic (don't worry, he gets better.), so she kind of just runs off and emos to her mother about being stabbed.

Quote:
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Recursive Paradox

Could you wish me luck in the Etheristic System too? sweatdrop

I'm barely on the level of an Essence and the Laws of Mutual Respect are sort of contingent on having the power (or allies with the power) to defend yourself.

Star is pretty hardcore, but Void? Yeah Void eats stars for breakfast. I was lucky when I first touched Void. I doubt I'll be lucky again, which is why I refuse to directly channel Void. And really, many of the Aspects are so alien from us that it's easy to run into the risk of offending someone and getting my face owned. In the face. Without even knowing why.

Etherism is not a comforting path...
*hugs* Being metaphysically headcrabbed isn't fun. Though I suspect being tortured on a burning wheel isn't fun either. I don't know which is worse.

Quote:
Quote:

*shrug*

The sentient Aspects and Essences sometimes need amends for ******** too.
And surprisingly, some levels of hubris are healthy. Look at Achilleus. Or don't, because I hate that ******** *Hektor fangirls*.

Quote:
Quote:

That latter one would be my preference. XD And considering the usage of spiritual barter in Etherism, I'm well capable and willing to play the do a goodwill favor for more goodwill favors game with dangerous folk like gods.

If I ever was in a position to work with the Hellenic deities (or any similar dieties) would the approach of doing some work for them to establish a path to mention the latter response be a good idea? It seems like it.
It can be. However, that doesn't mean they won't d**k with you if you they have previous obligations.

Hektor was Zeus' most beloved. He ensured Zeus' altar was never empty. Zeus loved him more than any other warrior there, and this includes people like Sarpedon, his own goddamn son. Look at how well that turned out for Hektor. sweatdrop

Quote:
Quote:

Define hubris in Greek terms.
Hubris as the crime is placing yourself on the same level as the Gods. An amount of this can be healthy depending who you are. As I said, it was ok for Diomedes to wound Aphrodite, just as it was ok for Achilleus to tell a river god to piss off for a while, cus he's gonna throw the legions of the bodies of who he's slain into it if he wants to (though that eventually had to be made up). Humility is not always a good thing in terms of being a hero. However, some people just take it too far. You don't presume to think you're going to rape Zeus' wife (Ixion), fly up to Olympus when you've been told not to (Bellerophon), or invite the Gods to dinner just to see how Godly they actually are (Tantalos). It's pissing the gods by putting yourself in a positing closer to them than you may actually be. Generally only Heroes get away with it, and they generally only get away with small amounts. Even Hektor has some crazy hubristic notions (says he wants to be a God a few times, but in that sort of crazy way), but he's mostly just told to stop being a d**k by one of this brothers. Well that, and he eventually has his corpse totally violated. ******** d**k Achilleus. stare (if anyone ever wonders why I hate him so much, note that when a person in a battle asks for mercy, YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO GIVE IT. It's the same reason why I think Agamemnon is a total douche, but at least they play him off as a psycho, so he's a douche in that glorious b*****d sort of way).

So to conclude my rambling, Greek hubris, as far as hubris in myth goes, is putting upon yourself the importance reserved only for the Gods, or even saying you are better than the Gods.  

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250

TheDisreputableDog

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:12 am
Interjection: Celeblin, I love the way you describe these stories. I've only read some of the Iliad, but "...so she kind of just runs off and emos to her mother about being stabbed" is awesome. xd  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:45 am
TheDisreputableDog
Interjection: Celeblin, I love the way you describe these stories. I've only read some of the Iliad, but "...so she kind of just runs off and emos to her mother about being stabbed" is awesome. xd
If I'm going to explain them, I might as well entertain myself while I do. xd

And she does go off and emo to her mom.  

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250

Nines19

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:52 pm
Celeblin Galadeneryn
TheDisreputableDog
If I'm going to explain them, I might as well entertain myself while I do. xd

And she does go off and emo to her mom.

You could probably get retellings like that published pretty easy, if you wanted to. There's a nice market for stuff like that, because it's been discovered that teenagers DO read, if what they're reading doesn't use language that bores the pants off them.
Jus' sayin'. ninja  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:04 pm
maenad nuri
one of the more classical definitions of rape was more along the lines of abduction.

As for consent, sometimes there was more implied than other times. Not to up on the specifics -- and it must always be kept in mind that the gods morals are not needfully our own.
Abduction as we know it, or more in the line of "I love you, I don't want to pay money to marry you so I'll abduct you." kind of way?

I know the Morals of a God might not be our own, however I just feel that as someone who was raped, it is not healthy for myself to work with, give honor too or sacrifice anything to a God who is a rapist or approves of rape. That would be conflicting with my morals. (Or my understanding of the word morals is not correct?)

I'll just leave the Greek pantheon alone until I'm sure which Gods are save to work with and who not. Was rape as big in other mythology? (Helpful hints to good sources are still appreciated. )  

Molly Mollusca

Dapper Seeker

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:24 pm
Molly Mollusca
maenad nuri
one of the more classical definitions of rape was more along the lines of abduction.

As for consent, sometimes there was more implied than other times. Not to up on the specifics -- and it must always be kept in mind that the gods morals are not needfully our own.
Abduction as we know it, or more in the line of "I love you, I don't want to pay money to marry you so I'll abduct you." kind of way?

I know the Morals of a God might not be our own, however I just feel that as someone who was raped, it is not healthy for myself to work with, give honor too or sacrifice anything to a God who is a rapist or approves of rape. That would be conflicting with my morals. (Or my understanding of the word morals is not correct?)

I'll just leave the Greek pantheon alone until I'm sure which Gods are save to work with and who not. Was rape as big in other mythology? (Helpful hints to good sources are still appreciated. )
Well the rub here is that all Gods are at least in a state of tacit agreement with Zeus' actions being good for the greater whole by submitting to his authority, nevermind that this is a deity system that works under the assumption that the all of their members are authoritative over humans. Some systems would have it that being under the provision of one member of the pantheon meant another couldn't touch you.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff