People counter
+1
100%
 100%  [ 50 ]
Total Votes : 50

dA fUnKy mOnKeY

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:01 am
Veddhartha
Have you checked the real Facts from reliable sites first?

Now what there is soon happening, beside the real trouble with melamine, is Internet over flooding with panic and hysteria. When all people start spamming same warning mail all around or same file to YouTube all together it makes things crash. And it makes perfect opportunity to hackers to spread viruses hidden in those well meaning warnings.

Instead of hysteria, check from proper officers from web is there a real danger that just those candies are shipped to your country. Do you even know how much different manufacturers there is in China? Do you really believe that those candies that are brought outside of China doesn't have higher standards than what stays inside of borders? Not everything is poisoned.

Keep with proper media and calm down. Thank you.

And then somewhere else. In my country a psychologist, a woman, has publicly condemned that hunting and every kind of dealing with weapons is a sign of unhealthy mind. Flamer? Hysteria? Making something normal to a terrible crime. City people gotten too far from their origins.
World has a disease... Or someone tell me what the hell has gone to people? confused
IF you dont like it dont read it. Dont come in here and b***h about how wrong we all are for being concerned. look at the post below yours. Enough ""proper media" for you. And who are you to decide what is or isnt proper media. This is a public service announcement and so other people can add more sources to it. And no they arent going to say "oh this batch is going to the usa so make it special". It's just huge vats and batches. Opinions are like a**holes. Everyone has theres and everyone thinks theres smells rosey. So how about you keep it to yourself. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:35 am
I'm trying to remind this conversation of staying such and not going to the point where people start blaming each other like that. I'd really hope that you'd take a little more calm point of view to this subject, especially when it's close to your heart and stop judging us or telling us not to participate.

I'm not a devil or heartless b*****d who isn't concerned. I just have different way to approach the matter and I asked more sources for a reason. To gain more information. And now there is those links after my last post, so again. Please try to be civilized and don't make prejudgments along the way.

Back to real topic if you please.

CNN, (and such medias) were what I was hoping to see.
Something major has really happened in China and I just have to wonder reasons for using melamine. Yes, it fools the protein tests, but for sure the risk of poisoning was known and not unexpected by those who made the call for using melamine. I'm waiting to see news of who are guilty for this and how China handles the situation. Now when cases has reported in several countries, every link on chain to actual consumer should be watchful what they give out.

This does call for higher level of caution for Halloween and alternative choices.  

Veddhartha

Areashine

Interesting Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:36 am
Actually, I've heard this story a few weeks ago on NPR and a few local news programs. I wouldn't say that no one has reported on it because they have.

As long as you don't buy Chinese candy this year (which I know of no one who does) you'll be fine.

Yes, some of the candy did find it's way to America, many businesses have already taken these candies down, including Wal-mart.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:56 am
Yes, it has been on the news here too earlier but finding melamine from candies almost as world wide is relatively new to me. (I don't watch TV)

A small problem there is that several companies have factories in China, like the British one on those links. There might be also American companies who have factories in China. This is not an attempt to scare but just a note.

I'd keep best way to buy candies from different companies and not in bulk. Or use something else than normal candy. Luckily, where I live we don't have Halloween tradition.  

Veddhartha

dA fUnKy mOnKeY

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:26 am
Veddhartha
Yes, it has been on the news here too earlier but finding melamine from candies almost as world wide is relatively new to me. (I don't watch TV)

A small problem there is that several companies have factories in China, like the British one on those links. There might be also American companies who have factories in China. This is not an attempt to scare but just a note.

I'd keep best way to buy candies from different companies and not in bulk. Or use something else than normal candy. Luckily, where I live we don't have Halloween tradition.
Thank you. All i was trying to do is help and seek out more info but i got attacked by several people. And yes i bought one of those domo candies at target not long before reading this. Thank god i didn't eat them. They were my halloween treat. The main problem is little stores like dollar tree ect do get candy from china. And alot of companies have factories there. China obviously doesn't care. I measn putting it in baby formula! That's disgraceful. My kids are going trick or treating HOWEVER i have hidden safe candy and everything they get will most likely be thrown out. But i do that every year just on safety.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:30 pm
I can see where you're coming from. There was no need for you to be attacked for posting that but perhaps next time you should try to include a few articles from sites like CNN or something.

Anywho, I think I might play this by word of mouth instead of spreading the media. It is a concern to have however that video would cause more harm by stirring up hysteria, which is the last thing we need. At least by pointing out if something is made with with certain ingredients, there's a calmer feel passing the info along.  

starblazer66

4,700 Points
  • Beta Consumer 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Critic 0

Creator Nan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:39 am
Just eat candy bars  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:22 pm
starblazer66, yes, concern of stirring up the hysteria was on my mind first too. This is a subject that has to be handled carefully, especially when children are victims.
dA fUnKy mOnKeY, that sounds much better.

I didn't have earlier time to start looking for more info myself. But I dig up few articles from site that I expected to see at first place.
Centers of Disease Control and Prevention has a word to say.

It seems that this has happened in USA once before. WHO's site on subject.
Another source, written by private person. Does look quite decent after all.  

Veddhartha

KnitChaos

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:09 pm
I thoroughly check my son's candy every year, I don't take him to people I don't know, & this year the vigilance will continue. I don't trust ANY food products from hostile communist nations...but that's just me.

Thanks for the reminder about the Melamine, though.

On a lighter note:

HERSHEYS FTW!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:28 am
i just posted to show there is coverage about what is going on. If i remember right the NY times had a great article about China and its scare as well as how they are trying to crack down on the farms and dairies taht where doing this.  

Folgor

The-Psycho-Rabbit

6,750 Points
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:53 pm
Eh......  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:04 pm
mmmm poison candy.... *Drools*

at least it thins out the herd a bit.  

Jayza Wirekill

6,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
  • Person of Interest 200

Momma Mira

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:38 pm
I remember something about tainted candy last year as well.
And the year before that and so on...

Heck, when I was a kid they had the tainted stickers that got you hooked on meth or something.

My point is, that they will always be bad people and bad news stories. As parents, our duty is to have a calm outlook and not panic. A lot of the tainted candy stories that come out around this time are bad media hype. Yes, there is the rare case of truth in those stories, but keeping an eye out will avoid the worst.

ninja  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:28 am
i gave out cans of pop...
so if you came to my house...
its safe ...
lol
i believe this thread was started for the "great good" so i have to say thank you and iguess personally i th ink its BOTH the person handing out candy AND the parents job to make sure safe candy is being given out.
yes yes im not stupid i know some people are effed up in the head hell my mom had to check candy for razor blades neutral the point is if you are that worried (imo) you shouldent go trick or treating we live in a town of under 700 people so while yes i checked candy , and let me tell ya 4 bags was oh so fun to look through lol , i wasnt too worried

but just for example a town here in my state rogers mn some 7 year old found 85$ and 2 grams of meth in his bag.... so maybe we should be worried about more things than just the candy itself.....
and as twighlight mira said every year there is a "tainted candy" warning
and there will be ever year after this... its just the way our sad world goes

but yes i see the point that this tread was intended to make
and we should all appriciate it
ok really now im done
btw the pop i gave out was caffine free diet xd
no sugar rushes from my house this year LOLOL  

mushy banana paste

Gaian Geezers Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff