Flutes Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Aureleid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:57 pm
Geograce
FLUTE PLAYERS CONVERT TO OBOE!! Stick with flute but the oboe fingerings are sort of the same and there need to be more oboists in the world. I mean, there is NO ONE!!!...posting in my forum for oboes. Stick with flue, and try the oboe out for kicks.

I actually was going to learn oboe and play it in the schools non-audition band, but then the school decided that they weren't going to offer double reed methods this year sad  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:01 pm
I have students in all levels of playing. My youngest is in 3rd grade. It is really difficult to teach a 3rd grader how to play the flute. They are so tiny! This girl can barly hold the flute. It is cute though. I enjoy it. Just thought I would be random I guess. I am sick, so I am forced to do nothing but be bored instead of practice. Geesh I'm a nerd. rolleyes  

midgetmushroom

Gener90

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:56 pm
I've been playing flute for 7 years and I'm loving it even more every day!  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:27 am
Geograce
FLUTE PLAYERS CONVERT TO OBOE!! Stick with flute but the oboe fingerings are sort of the same and there need to be more oboists in the world. I mean, there is NO ONE!!!...posting in my forum for oboes. Stick with flue, and try the oboe out for kicks.
Be alert...

Actually, both me and my sister are flutists, and she is learning oboe!

I started flute in 6th grade because it was a requirement at school to learn an instrument. I sort of enjoyed it at first, but then later on I left the school band and joined this youth orchestra, which is when I think I really fell in love. Then this summer, I went to music camp, and I think that's what taught me to fully appreciate my flute. I don't consider myself that great, but that may just be because every other flutist I know is waaaay better than me. xD

I'm curious to know, what's everyone's opinion on Jupiter flutes? That's my flute, and I haven't seen them mentioned at all...I personally love mine (her name is Ariana) but then again, I haven't really had the opportunity to try out other flutes, except of course the one I started out on, which was a Gemeinhardt. I'd love to try a new flute, but I don't really need one right now...

Also, does anyone here have experience with the alto or bass flute? My school owns one of each, and I'm learning the bass for flute choir. If anyone has any advice, I'd love to hear it.

...The world needs more lerts.

Jiji Velocity

xX bd_emo Xx

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:37 pm
So yeah i have a flute but i hate it what i what to play is the Bass flute or Contrabass flute  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:48 am
Miyazaza makes professional/intermendiate flutes... I personally don't like Miyazawa...I think they try to make their flutes look too pretty with the keys and such..Thats just me.I'm not saying they are horrible looking, they are BEAUTIFUL, but I just get the feeling it would break easier. ;_; You can debate... But just take a look at them.

I think Gemeinhardt makes good,sturdy flutes. They don't worry about special key engravings.

Yamaha makes OKAY flutes. I think they tend to break easier than other, and I'm not crazy about the fact that their flutes are made from nickel...

Armstrong isn't great. They make BEAUTIFUL flutes...But there's problems with the keys. They can get stuck/bent easier.

Otherwise, I REALLY like Gemeinhardt... But every player is different..So I'd try a few before buying.

~
I own a Gemeinhardt, and they are good. They won't break as easily as Yamaha.

I really want a Gemeinhardt Alto Flute for my birthday! >w< My BD said I could play that for Jazz if I get one. He loves the Alto Flute. :]  

That Girl is Fierce

`Kel`
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:37 pm
I own a Gemeinhardt flute, it plays very beautifully. The brand of flute really makes a difference. I pick up my old Artly and it just cant play up to up to my Gemeinhardt.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:23 am
I've been playing my armstrong openholed flute for several years now and im quite happy with it. It is an antique cause my mom played in in high school and now I do, but it's sturdy and has done me well. I've played the piccolo for that long as well, and I actually enjoy that more, though I dont own my own piccolo...yet. I borrow the one from my school. My little sister has picked up flute, and she has an academy which i think is a cheap breakable thing that has no good tone.  

Thepolymathwriter

Magic-bam

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:38 am
PrincessPomeranian
i luv the flute! i think i's the best instrument in the world. [it's the one i've stuck with after violin, clarinet, and bassoon... so that's how much i luv it!]

but currently i hate the band i'm in because we're 'pep band' so we have to go to all the football games... *shudder* i'm afraid of football. [seriously, any sport other than badminton, i've been injured in]

Same, I used to play violin, but it felt like a chore. So in the 6th grade I started off in band class playing a Yamaha open whole flute (That was my older sisters, so it wasn't that great in condition) I really enjoy flute though

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:13 pm
About switching instruments...a few months ago I started to learn the alto sax. because my band director wanted me to, and I found out that the fingerings were really similar...almost the same!  

Aisai24

cuzwhit

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:12 am
Jiji Velocity
Geograce
Be alert...

I started flute in 6th grade because it was a requirement at school to learn an instrument. I sort of enjoyed it at first, but then later on I left the school band and joined this youth orchestra, which is when I think I really fell in love. Then this summer, I went to music camp, and I think that's what taught me to fully appreciate my flute. I don't consider myself that great, but that may just be because every other flutist I know is waaaay better than me. xD

I'm curious to know, what's everyone's opinion on Jupiter flutes? That's my flute, and I haven't seen them mentioned at all...I personally love mine (her name is Ariana) but then again, I haven't really had the opportunity to try out other flutes, except of course the one I started out on, which was a Gemeinhardt. I'd love to try a new flute, but I don't really need one right now...

Also, does anyone here have experience with the alto or bass flute? My school owns one of each, and I'm learning the bass for flute choir. If anyone has any advice, I'd love to hear it.

My step-up is a Capital Edition Jupiter and I loooooooooove it. I've got probably the nicest flute at my school right now...I don't know how a lot of others feel about Jupiter, but I love it and my best friend is completely jealous of it. I haven't named it though.

I wish my school had an alto or bass flute! I started a flute choir at my school with my best friend, but we only have our flutes. My teacher doesn't have any others in the back....it sucks because I want to learn how to play both of them!  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:06 am
i used to miss half the notes cuz i kept blowing wrong! xd
it was really suckish.....  

Yuki no Ryu

Chatty Conversationalist

Yuki no Ryu

Chatty Conversationalist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:12 am
Aureleid
Geograce

I actually was going to learn oboe and play it in the schools non-audition band, but then the school decided that they weren't going to offer double reed methods this year sad

oh that sucks, our whole school of 1,500 only has 3 oboes!  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:48 pm
Um, I don't quite understand how you can get a higher note with the same fingerings, do you blow harder or something?

Rosey Milk Tea

Rosey Milk Tea

Jiji Velocity

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:41 pm
cuzwhit
Jiji Velocity
Geograce
Be alert...

My step-up is a Capital Edition Jupiter and I loooooooooove it. I've got probably the nicest flute at my school right now...I don't know how a lot of others feel about Jupiter, but I love it and my best friend is completely jealous of it. I haven't named it though.

I wish my school had an alto or bass flute! I started a flute choir at my school with my best friend, but we only have our flutes. My teacher doesn't have any others in the back....it sucks because I want to learn how to play both of them!

They are fascinating instruments. As far as I know, the fingerings are pretty much the same (though there may be alternate fingerings which I don't know of) and the embouchure is a bit different. It's more open and free, I guess, and you definitely need more breath and a lot of support. The bass flute is also pretty heavy, and the alto is just awkward because of the length. They are so fun though, I hope you get the opportunity to try them one day!

I like my Jupiter 611RBES, but I feel like it's a "band" instrument and I should move on to something nicer. Like, some of these girls in concert band have these really really nice and really expensive Miyazawas, and they're (the players) not even that good. I want one of those.

@Rosey: Basically, you also...I dunno, tighten your embouchure a little bit? 3nodding  
Instruments and Vocals

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff